LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-03-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
unspellable
User

Post Question on boring out pitted bores

We've heard talk of sleeving and boring out to the next bigger cartridge, but what about boring a barrel only a few thousandths to take a larger bullet? For example boring a 7.65 Parabellum barrel to take 0.314 bullets that were intended for 32-20 or 32 Mag? This would be using the exisiting 7.65 case. This means that in boring one would have to follow the existing rifling. Any one ever heard of this being done? It might save a pitted or worn bore. How would this compare to simply rebarreling?

unspellable
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2002, 02:42 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
It is called re-rifling a barrel and yes it can be done, but I don't know anyone who is still doing this. Everyone that I ever knew who did is now deceased. It was a relatively expensive option to keeping the entire gun original except for the bore...

You might try some of the more well known custom barrel folks like Shilen or Hart if it really is that important to you that cost is not an option.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote