LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 07-14-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Post Handy hint for collectors

At the local swapmeet I always keep my eyes open for nice hinged wood boxes, and these are usually sold very cheaply. The ones shown in the photo used to hold machinist tools, and they cost me 25 cents for the bigger one and 50 cents for the smaller one. If they have any fittings inside I rip them out, then cut a piece of 1/2" thick foam rubber to fit the top and bottom. The foam is glued in place with 3M spray contact cement, and presto, you now have a great case for magazines, small parts, and if the case is deep enough you can even store pistols in them

Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Aaron,

Great idea, but I thought I should give you a hint in return...

Your photo shows what appears to be small self stick labels attached to your magazines.

You should be cautious using labels attached directly to the metal because the long term affects of the adhesive on the metal finish could be disasterous... I know for a fact that some labels can changed the density of bluing, and may be damaging to plated finishes as well.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

Thanks for the advice, John, I'm sure you're right about long term damage. It never occurred to me. I haven't yet had a problem, but will remove all sticky labels immediately and replace them with string type tags.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2002, 03:38 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
I know someone who just recently purchased a rather nice minty gun that had an inventory tag adhered to the blued portion of the frame. There is a perceptable circle that exists in the blued area of this gun that won't even come off with solvent or oil...

The string tags are an excellent idea... if you use a synthetic fishing line or other non-absorbent thread, you will have no problems with moisture being absorbed or subsequent rust either...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2002, 06:50 AM   #5
Marvin
User

Speaking of the sticky tags on magazines; the worst thing is to have them stuck on a leather holster. It takes very little time for the glue to make a permanent mark on the leather.

Always use the sring tags for leather goods.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote