LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 08-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
edbear2
New User

Default P 08 Magazine serial 2208.....I.D. help please?

Firstly, Hello to all on here, I have had a quick look around and certainly am impressed by the wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm on here!

My situation is that I reside in the UK, so although I shot pistol many years ago, it is sadly now the case that I concentrate on collecting and shooting vintage air rifles....However, I have acquired recently a magazine for a P08, and a internet search for information on dating and identification led me to this forum. I would appreciate any information that anyone would care to offer, and who knows, maybe the owner of the gun that this was once supplied with may be on here (a long shot I know, but stranger things happen).

I would be interested to know it's value, if any, and if this forum is run like other one's I post on, I will state here and now, that this is for valuation purposes only, and if I decide to sell, (after a suitable number of posts etc.) then a sales thread will be created separately.

The magazine has some bumps and marks, but the platform travels the full length smoothly, with good spring pressure.

Phew...a lot for a first post, and hope this is acceptable to the mods, pictures below on link to flikr;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7624809905730/

(click on each picture, and the the magnifying glass icon to see full size shots)

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this, regards, Ed
edbear2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

It is better to post pictures directly here, rather than off-forum.

Welcome to the site.

This is a WW2 era police accepted magazine (see the eagle C)

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
tau-delt
User

Ed... You have a police mag that would been accepted by the police by virtue of the Eagle/C stamp on the bottom. The #2 above the serial number is also typical police markings. IMO the serial number to include the "2" would have been stamped at a unit level or police armory. I would date the mag to around 1938 or 1939.

It is a bit of a veteran but would be a treasure to the owner of the gun.
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ed, I don't believe that your Haenel made Schmeisser Patent, center pinned mag was made before 1940, but as Dave mentioned, could have been numbered by the Poice for an earlier luger. This type of mag is scarce, but with the wide spread pitting on the tube, not valued at more than $150 at the most, unless you might find the owner of the matching 1939 W block or 1940 X block Poiice banner luger. TH
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
edbear2
New User

Ed, Dave, TH......many thanks for the informative replies, I would imagine that as the Magazine was found over here, that the gun was probably one of the hundreds, if not thousands, that have been sadly crushed / smelted down in one of the several amnesty's over the years in the UK....I am in my 50's, and when I was at school several of my friends told of finding some of Dad's (or Grand dad's) "secret stuff" either in the shed, or attic....invariably they were talking about either WW1 or WW2 veteran souvenirs, helmets, field kit and of course the favourite of all allied troops it seems...the Luger...British soldiers were normally searched when returning from overseas, or given the option of disposing of battlefield pick ups over the side of the transports they were on, so there is a fair amount of ordnance rusting away in the English channel as I write this.However, a huge amount of stuff did come back, and still turns up from time to time as old soldiers pass, I suppose the survival rate in the USA is higher due to the less restrictive forearm legislation.
edbear2 is offline   Reply With Quote