LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
chevy
User

Default 1920 commercial luger

Click image for larger version

Name:	1920 com luger 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	19678

Name:	1920 com luger 9.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	19679

Name:	1920 com luger 8.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	19680This is my first post in the Luger forum. The first place of business is to complement the senior contributors in the forum. I have been associated with firearms for over fifty years and have never seen a more brighter group of people, there work and contributions to this firearm forum are monumental. I have only two Lugers a DWM 1920 commercial #82649 no suffix and a 1937 S42 with capture papers and German Binoculars bought from a gun show about three months ago serial #4326 Z suffix and will send pics later. The 1920 commercial Luger was purchased from my friends gun shop about two years ago. The 1920 commercial Luger has matching #s with the exception of the magazine hold open catch is a replacement it is numbered 88. The Luger has all the right crown N proofs as I can see. The bluing seems correct rust blued in the white interior. The inside of the grips are not numbered. My profession is a Gemologist so quality marks, hallmarks and stamps on metal and how they were applied I am very familiar with. The anomaly of the 1920 Luger is a CAS or GAS that is stamped on the frame rail of the piece. Using a Meji stereo microscope it appears that the stamp
was placed quite some time ago. The same style S is stamped on the frame under the grip panel. Unfortunately someone ruined the wooden magazine base on the original clip. Any additional information would be helpful
chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Hello Chevis!

If you are familiar with stamps/application then you should be suspicious of the frame serial. I have two commercial Lugers plus one Army-issue; all have symmetrical numerals. No "added-on-later" look. The '8' in your serial does not look original...My two commercials are a 4-digit and a 5-digit. The serials are centered on the frame.

You didn't mention caliber...is it 7.65mm or 9mm???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Chevis, Welcome to the forum. Your Luger's finish appears to be original, but as Rich said, the frame serial number appears to have been re-struck. The 49 on the frame is clearly a different font than the 49 on the take down lever. How about posting close ups of the proof marks and other numbered parts? Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
chevy
User

I will send some more pics today. The pistol is .30 Luger
chevy is offline   Reply With Quote