LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
oneshy
User

Default 1920 Reichswehr Police

Would like to get an idea how much one of these could bring with sear bar and mag safety intact. Has a mis-matched sunburst Nazi? mag. No marks on grip strap. Which is a little disappointing. 70% original finish. Has the 3 doves WaA4 on right of receiver. I don't have it but the grips are purported to be original. S/n 38xxn. All matching in the military style. I believe that seller is asking too much at $1100 but perhaps the intact safeties would make it more desirable. S/n is stamped on barrel and I don't see any rework stamps. Seller states that this is 1 of 2000 in 9mm.I'm trying to explain what I see from pics, but they are not of high quality, and I have no idea how to put them in this thread. Thanks for any help.
oneshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

you can read how to post pictures under the help section. it is very easy, provided the pictures are small enough.

Why does he say it is a 1 of 2000?? EVERY police luger I have ever seen was 9mm...

An intact mag safety is VERY rare, and I bet it is NOT intact. One way to check is to leave the magazine in and **** it and then take the mag out and see if it clicks. If it does, mag safety does not work. However, then try with mag in and see if it clicks. This is not foo proof as that was the reason they were pulled were they did not work right.

70% original finish is pretty horrible. If it was 85% then the $1100 would be reasonable.

IF it really has an intact magazine safety (a sear safety is VERY common on police guns), then it does bring the price up, however, there ARE only a few intact mag safety's I have seen.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

It sounds like it is one of the anomalous n-suffix 1920-dated DWMs. Does it have a 1920 date on the chamber? I'll bet it once had a police grip strap mark that has been ground off.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
oneshy
User

As suspected, an "iffy' piece. I unfortunately will have to bid on it in order to see it first hand Gunbroker 50098319. I have looked at a few others and may have the 9mm thing confused with another. I have an email from him with some more pics that are hard to see any detail. He has a pic of the mag safety with the grips removed on GB. It does have the 1920 chamber date. I think that "if" it had Nazi waffenampts and unit markings I would bid on it. I'll email him about the possible ground unit stamp. Mentioning the interior inspection that you guys have used. I'll try to get a link and put the extra pics in the thread. Thanks for your help, John.
I have checked his email and he states that only 2000 were built for the Army in 1920. With that n suffix I suspect it was later, if I'm learning anything.
Unread 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
policeluger
RIP

I have looked at this gun several times...1. the mag safety is not intact, while this would ad to the cost, this is not the case, 2. I did not see a 3 day inspection period....demand one in writting...3. this is not a $1350 gun....no way....4. as Ed said 1/2000?? where did he get that crap, more like one of 20,000+...look around more, buy a few books and see if you can meet up with a LF member in your area who is willing to help.....put on you running shoes
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

It does not have an intact magazine safety, it has been clipped. On the other hand, the seller does not say it is intact, only that it has one.

I don't know a lot about these police guns, but to me it is a typical Weimar Police gun...nothing Nazi about it. Therefore, I would not expect Nazi waffenampts. It probably, but not necessarily, should have police grip strap marks. Looks like a legitimate gun to me (but again, I am no authority)
Unread 06-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #7
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

See this thread on Jan Still's forum about the n-suffix pistols: http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp...8&SearchTerms="n",suffix. Several more have been identified since that thread. I can't explain why DWM chose to use this suffix during their 1920 production of military and police Lugers but it seems very likely that they produced 9,999 of them. This one obviously went to the police. It should have the small parts numbered in the military style. I agree with Ron that there is nothing Nazi about this pistol. It is typical of the military/police Lugers produced by DWM in 1920-21 before the Allies made them stop.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
oneshy
User

Thank you all very much for the valuable information you give for free.