LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-27-2018, 12:19 AM   #1
J.D.
User

Question Questions about a DWM P08

Hi from Australia Everyone,

I have just scored a DWM P08 Luger that belonged to a dear Friend that passed earlier this year.

Now this P08 has been re barreled & refinished at some stage but that's OK as I want to shoot it. It's matching except for the barrel of course and has the DWM 14 - 18 markings on the right side of the frame.

The serial number is 1320 so am hoping someone can give me a bit more information on it they can share with me.

No pictures yet unfortunately until I get my permit and pick it up from the dealer that has it.

Thanks for your time & help.
Jason
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

G'day Jason!

...and welcome to Luger ownership. An good evaluation of what you bought will really have to wait until you can post photos.

What I can tell you is that there should be a date over the chamber, which will be the year of manufacture.

As far as the serial number, there should be a small lowercase letter under the serial number on the front of the frame on the trigger guard. That letter, is part of the serial number, and will help the historians place a closer date on the actual production of your new Luger.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 08-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

We publish a very useful document about Lugers, all accumulated from the knowledge shared here on this site.

You can download it from:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13121

The right side of the receiver should have original acceptance and proof marks. I am not sure what "DWM 14 - 18 markings" are and would like to see a picture.

As John mentions, the factory location for serial number is on front of the frame in front of the trigger guard. You should also find the last digits stamped in other places on a military accepted Luger, and the first and last digits stamped on the trigger side plate. First digits stamped inside toward the bottom, and last digits on the outside.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 08-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
J.D.
User

Thanks Guys,

Unfortunately the date over the chamber has been buffed out at some point in it's life and the serial number on the front of the frame has no letter or other marking on it apart from 1320.

all of the small parts have 20 on them apart from the barrel which is a 6" one to comply with Australian firearms laws & regulations. I will not be able to get any pictures of it until I get my permit through which will be in about 6 weeks and pick it up.

As I said this belonged to a good Friend before he passed & is a shooter as I know it has lost it's collectors value when someone refinished & re-barreled it but was hoping someone may be able to give me some info on it before it was transformed.

The marking I was talking about are no 15 on the attached link being "German military receiver proof. Found on DWM Lugers 1914-1918"

http://www.lugerforum.com/lugermarkings/proof-2.html

Thanks again for your help
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

With the date removed, you are not likely to get much info.

If you have a specific question, better to state it.
Unread 08-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

One can actually deduce the date fairly closely from the gun's physical characteristics. Since it's inspection marks are on the right side we know it dates from 1910 or later. If it has a stock attachment, then late 1913 or later, a relieved sear bar, then late 1916 until the end of production in Nov 1918.
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post: