LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Mike Kay
User

Default 1939 Mauser Luger Feeding Issue- Range Report

I hope the feedback below will be helpful to members-

Last week I spent an hour at the shooting range with my 1939 Mauser Luger. This gun had performed flawlessly up until then.

I've always used Sellier & Bellot 124gr with no issues whatsoever. I had run out of this ammo and used what I thought would be the next best alternative, Sig Elite 124gr.
The gun stovepiped & jammed on every 2nd shot, extremely frustrating!

Went past my local gunshop yesterday and they had stock of only 1 box of Sellier & Bellot 124gr and plenty of S&B 115gr.
I bought both and went back to the range this morning.

Sellier & Bellot 115gr: With 5 rounds in the magazine, it stovepiped once, each and every time, i.e. 1 out of 5 shots jammed.

Sellier & Bellot 124gr: I put 50 rounds through the gun with no issues whatsoever.

I used the same 2 magazines loaded with 5 rounds each time, alternating between the 115gr & 124gr.

Best,
Mike
Mike Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Mike Kay for your post:
Unread 08-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I guess your Luger is a picky eater. But at least now you know what it likes.
Sounds like it needs the additional recoil to function properly. Is the gun clean and well lubed? Gripping it tightly? Maybe too stiff a main spring?
dju

P. S. How are things in S. A. now?
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 08-23-2018, 02:23 AM   #3
Mike Kay
User

Thanks for the feedback David. Gun's clean and well lubed, I'm also aware of gripping it firmly. I've also tried a variety of magazines and have settled on the 2 matching magazines that came with the gun.

I may replace the recoil spring and see what happens, I have a new one on hand. As long as I'm using the S&B 124gr there are no issues.

As for SA things are a little tense given that we've got an election coming up next year and there's plenty of cheap politicking going on and the usual empty promises....

On the surface, day to day people get on with life. What's really concerning is the increase in poverty levels, crime and +35% unemployment rate! Staggering amounts of money have been stolen out of the system by Zuma (previous president who's presently being prosecuted) and his cronies, it will take years to sort this out.

Best,
Mike
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mike Kay for your post:
Unread 08-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Also, consider using MecGar magazines vs. the originals, if they are available to you in S.A. And if you really want good performance, have our own GT make you some with his super-strong springs, improved followers, etc. I have 4. Lugers may come and go, but GT's mags stay with me forever.
Good luck over there, it seems like unrest abounds everywhere these days.
dju
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 08-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Lugers are very sensitive to the OAL of the cartridge. This is because of the way the ammo stacks in the high raking angle of the magazine.

The Sig Elite you mentioned is a higher velocity hollow point self defense round.

You should focus on using full metal jacket standard velocity ammo in your Luger.

While I greatly enjoy the Luger and it's design, I don't think it's the best or safest self defense firearm available today.

You might try the masking tape test to see how violently the toggle is being stopped during cycling. You might have an imbalance due to the recoil spring tension being too high or too low for a given ammunition.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 08-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I would also recommend you buy some Winchester (white box) 9mm. It is usually available at Walmart and many other places. It seems to be the definitive out of the box ammo for many members here...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 08-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Mike Kay
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Lugers are very sensitive to the OAL of the cartridge. This is because of the way the ammo stacks in the high raking angle of the magazine.

The Sig Elite you mentioned is a higher velocity hollow point self defense round.

You should focus on using full metal jacket standard velocity ammo in your Luger.

While I greatly enjoy the Luger and it's design, I don't think it's the best or safest self defense firearm available today.

You might try the masking tape test to see how violently the toggle is being stopped during cycling. You might have an imbalance due to the recoil spring tension being too high or too low for a given ammunition.
Thanks for the input. The Sig ammo I tried was FMJ. I managed to find a good supply of Sellier & Bellot 124gr rounds (which my Luger loves) at another shop today.

As suggested by David I've also ordered some Mec-Gar magazines from a European supplier, no US suppliers will ship outside of the US.

I fully agree about the Luger, I really enjoy shooting it at the range, however I feel it's unreliable as a self defence weapon. For self defence I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and a Colt Commander 45ACP.

Best,
Mike
The following member says Thank You to Mike Kay for your post:
Unread 08-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

As for SA things are a little tense given that we've got an election coming up next year and there's plenty of cheap politicking going on and the usual empty promises....

On the surface, day to day people get on with life. What's really concerning is the increase in poverty levels, crime and +35% unemployment rate! Staggering amounts of money have been stolen out of the system by Zuma (previous president who's presently being prosecuted) and his cronies, it will take years to sort this out.

Is the general population concerned over the taking of white-owned farms? That's what is in the news over here.
dju
Unread 08-24-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kay View Post
I fully agree about the Luger, I really enjoy shooting it at the range, however I feel it's unreliable as a self defence weapon.
My W+F 7.65 Para P06/29, the only military issue Luger not to have lost a war, is the most reliable autopistol I own, and the quickest to deliver a precise hit on the draw. You don’t need to sacrifice cattle at the altar of Thompson-LaGarde, to appreciate its utility for social work.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Michael Zeleny for your post:
Unread 08-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

" the only military issue Luger not to have lost a war"
True?, but then what "war" did the Swiss fight using a P 06/29 ?
Unread 08-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
[I]As for SA ...Is the general population concerned over the taking of white-owned farms? That's what is in the news over here.
dju
ADMIN NOTE: Unless the discussion is centered on the right to keep and bear arms, or gun laws in general, please refrain from political discussions revolving on internal country politics.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 08-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
4 Scale
User

Mike I appreciate your sharing your range data. I find it fascinating that such a relatively minor change in the load for your pistol produced such a dramatic improvement in function. I have a '42 byf that stovepipes once every 30 rounds or so, and rather than fiddle with/weaken the recoil spring I'd like to try different ammo. Thanks to your posts I have ordered some 124 gr. S&B.

On the magazines, like David I have several MecGars that have been improved by GT and I concur with David's comments on their value. It would be worth investigating if such magazines can be legally shipped between parties SA/USA. GT can modify existing MecGars so it may be possible for you to send yours to him.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 08-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
DonVoigt
User

Legality aside, just the cost of shipping from SA to the US and back again, or even just once would make it too costly to be worthwhile over a "standard" Mecgar. JMHO.
Unread 08-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
4 Scale
User

Legal aside, shipping rates to SA I think are around $25 USD one way, 1 lb. 1st class. To me, a cheap price for accessing GT's quality but then I have several of his magazines which include upgraded bases, and I don't live in SA, I live barely 400 miles from him...
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
Mike Kay
User

I received the Mec-Gar Luger magazines which I ordered from a supplier in Germany and tried them out at the range today.

I'm pleased to report that with 150 rounds fired there wasn't a single issue.

FWIW I also ordered and received Mec-Gar magazines for my 1964 Walther PPK 7.65mm & Colt Combat Commander .45ACP.
They are such well made magazines, I'm impressed with the difference in quality between the Mec-Gar and the crappy original Colt magazine.

Best,
Mike
The following 3 members says Thank You to Mike Kay for your post:
Unread 09-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
DonVoigt
User

Remember,
the Colt 1911 mil. mags were probably made by the "lowest bid" contractor.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: