LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
RShaw
User

Default 100 years ago today- end of WW1! shot my first P08 after 2 years

Hi all!!
After 2 years of vascillating about whether I should shoot my collector P08 (a 1917 DWM) I finally decided to give it a go.

I did NOT use the original matching mag, but rather the Swiss spare; I put 4 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 gr through it with no problems. (1 missed-eject, but that's all)

Was a very special experience
Especially on this special day of the end of WW1 (that was not planned)

But now she goes back in the safe after a thorough clean- I'll shoot it at most once a year... maybe.

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw
RShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 11 members says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

A fitting way to celebrate the Armistice.
The following 3 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShaw View Post
Hi all!!
After 2 years of vascillating about whether I should shoot my collector P08 (a 1917 DWM) I finally decided to give it a go.

I did NOT use the original matching mag, but rather the Swiss spare; I put 4 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 gr through it with no problems. (1 missed-eject, but that's all)

Was a very special experience
Especially on this special day of the end of WW1 (that was not planned)

But now she goes back in the safe after a thorough clean- I'll shoot it at most once a year... maybe.
If one "missed" ejection. Have a good look at the ejector before putting it away (that's a major sin to me, as you surely know by now ). I only start having "failures to eject" shortly before the ejector breaks.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
RShaw
User

If one "missed" ejection. Have a good look at the ejector before putting it away (that's a major sin to me, as you surely know by now ). I only start having "failures to eject" shortly before the ejector breaks.

Thank you Kurusu... I'm not sure what would indicate an "about-to-break-ejector" , but I will have a look.

The failed eject was the 2nd shot out of 4. Spent case remained partway in the chamber preventing the loading of the following round.

Perhaps also a dull extractor tip which actually catches the rim of the spent case when ejecting? or a spent case itself whose rim is a fraction of a mm too narrow? Doesn't take much.... Your opinion?
Unread 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
kurusu
User

Quote:

Thank you Kurusu... I'm not sure what would indicate an "about-to-break-ejector" , but I will have a look. Perhaps also a dull extractor tip which actually catches the rim of the spent case when ejecting? or a spent case itself whose rim is a fraction of a mm too narrow? Doesn't take much.... Your opinion?
The ejector is basically a spring with inwards tension. Make sure, when you open the action, that the ejector seats fully into the bolt slot and inwards of the barrel extension (receiver). If it doesn't. Consider a new ejector.

Images of closed bolt, the bolt pushes the forward tip of the ejector flush with the barrel extension.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180529_015557.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	74614

Name:	20180529_020010.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	74615

Images with open action, the slot cut in the right bolt face, allows the forward tip of the ejector to bend inwards.

Name:	20180529_015735.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	74616

Name:	20180529_015853.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	74617

What breaks in the ejector is the foward tip when the "springness" is lost. The tell tale sign, besides starting to fail to eject, is the forward tip not bending inwards when the action is open.

I hope I my explanation is clear.
The following 4 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

If it left the empty cartridge in the chamber, then that is failure to extract, not eject. Your ejector is probably OK. The extractor should be examined, with its spring.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
If it left the empty cartridge in the chamber, then that is failure to extract, not eject. Your ejector is probably OK. The extractor should be examined, with its spring.

I agree 100%. Take a good look at the extractor "claws" and be sure that they both are there(they are prone to break off). Also the extractor spring may well be "done", so to speak.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
RShaw
User

Hi Kurusu, gunbugs, rhuff
Many thanks for all your efforts on my behalf, very much appreciated
Kurusu, when you said, "Have a good look at the ejector before putting it away," I thought you meant the "extractor" - isn't that the part which lies just above the firing pin, with an internal spring which holds it down, unless a round is in the chamber, at which time it will be pushed up slightly, with the word "geladen" visible?
I looked at that part first, please see 1st photo- the curved edge closest to the firing pin is sharp and unchipped, so I think it's OK. The spring is strong as well. It takes some doing to manually push it up to read the word "geladen."

After reading your very clear explanation about the ejector spring, together with your photos, I took photos of my P08: Photo 2 with the action closed (spring flat against the right bolt face) and Photo 3 with action open (spring now tensioned inward as you described.) I think that my ejector spring looks OK... your opinion?

The last two rounds were shot and extracted with no trouble.

However, as this is really a collector's piece, and the risk of damage to a numbered part is very real, I will certainly not shoot it often... maybe once a year? But it was good to give it this one try.... and on this very special day. This gun is now 101 years old
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018 11 11 Ejector P08 7097 02 OK.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	74659  

Name:	2018 11 11 Rt srping P08 7097 01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	74660  

Name:	2018 11 11 Rt srping P08 7097 02.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	74661  

The following 2 members says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
kurusu
User

@ RShaw.

Both you extractor and ejector look healthy.

On your first post you said failed to eject. So I thought ejector, and it's the one that breaks more often (luckily it's not a numbered part) what you describe on your second post is not an ejector problem but a failed extraction and that can happen once in a while without being gun related issues. Happens to me on an average of once every 500 rounds. No biggie (except on the timed part of a match). The extractor is a sturdy piece, it can break of course, but it is not that common. In 20 years, in our service pistol matches where only Lugers are allowed, only saw one break.

The failure to eject a case that has cleared the chamber, on the other hand, is almost always an ejector ready to give up the ghost.

Edit. Maybe the bolt face could be cleaner. Or, it's just picture quality.
The following 2 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
RShaw
User

My error Kurusu- poor choice of terms
The second empty case was 3/4 of the way out of the chamber after firing.

The bolt face is definitely dirty now that I look at the photo.... Thanks for your feedback. Good to know also that the extractor does not tend to break THAT easily.

On my (matched) shooter P08 (has since been sold) I broke the holdopen Got another one from Tom Heller, but I do not have the expertise to properly fit it- and a friend was really interested in the gun, so I traded it for a Colt 1911 (9 mm) special edition. (Franconia Belgium)

Have been on the lookout for a good Luger shooter.... but they don't show up so often here. Fact is... in the Netherlands, one is allowed a max of 5 firearms, unless one has a collector's license. I'm working on that license- but it won't happen for another year. My problem is that I find many different firearms fascinating.... I'm also been torn between two Colt SAA's both third generation AND a recently available Swiss Luger 7,65/ So... I have to make up my mind!!

I'm very happy to have my collector P08, and that it's still in good shape.
I appreciate your comments, thanks

The following member says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
kurusu
User

Quote:
My error Kurusu- poor choice of terms
The second empty case was 3/4 of the way out of the chamber after firing.

The bolt face is definitely dirty now that I look at the photo.... Thanks for your feedback. Good to know also that the extractor does not tend to break THAT easily.

On my (matched) shooter P08 (has since been sold) I broke the holdopen Got another one from Tom Heller, but I do not have the expertise to properly fit it- and a friend was really interested in the gun, so I traded it for a Colt 1911 (9 mm) special edition. (Franconia Belgium)

Have been on the lookout for a good Luger shooter.... but they don't show up so often here. Fact is... in the Netherlands, one is allowed a max of 5 firearms, unless one has a collector's license. I'm working on that license- but it won't happen for another year. My problem is that I find many different firearms fascinating.... I'm also been torn between two Colt SAA's both third generation AND a recently available Swiss Luger 7,65/ So... I have to make up my mind!!

I'm very happy to have my collector P08, and that it's still in good shape.
I appreciate your comments, thanks
The holdopen is the part I have seen broken the most. I usually take it of when shooting.

Have you tried browsing egun? It's German of course, but there is much more "action" going on than in the Netherlands. I managed to buy a Colt 1903 from there. And they are not that common in Europe.

For a "shooter", try to get a Mauser. It's more recent 1935 to 1942 and Mauser made more P.08s than everybody else combined(less rare).

Last edited by kurusu; 11-11-2018 at 06:20 PM.
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
RShaw
User

Yes, I have heard that Mauser metal quality is better than that of DWM. Have to be patient. egun is a good site, and I've heard good things about it... should perhaps get over my aversion to importing from Germany with all the paperwork. Good idea.

Unread 11-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #13
Mike Kay
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
......For a "shooter", try to get a Mauser. It's more recent 1935 to 1942 and Mauser made more P.08s than everybody else combined(less rare).
Good advice.
I have an original condition, all numbers matching (incl. matching magazine) 1916 DWM that I inherited from my Grand Father, which I shoot very occasionally.

For regular range shooting I've acquired a 1942 Mauser Luger, thoroughly enjoyable.

Best,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lugers.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	74669  

Mike Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Mike Kay for your post:
Unread 11-12-2018, 02:26 AM   #14
HerrKaiser
User

I’ve also heard that, if you can find one, Swiss Luger shooters are fantastically durable as well.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2018, 03:25 AM   #15
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrKaiser View Post
I’ve also heard that, if you can find one, Swiss Luger shooters are fantastically durable as well.
If you mean those made in Bern after 1929, you are right.

The Swiss were the first to adopt the Luger(1901). We can even say that Lugers only exist because of the Swiss Army trials.

All things considered all Lugers are durable. But I prefer to shoot the "less older", because I do shoot a lot with them. And eventually everything breaks.
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #16
RShaw
User

Kurusu: All things considered all Lugers are durable. But I prefer to shoot the "less older", because I do shoot a lot with them. And eventually everything breaks.

Good point........

Mike: I have an original condition, all numbers matching (incl. matching magazine) 1916 DWM that I inherited from my Grand Father, which I shoot very occasionally.

If I may ask, what ammo do you use in your grandfather's 1916 DWM? (My DWM is 1917.)

Thanks
Unread 11-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
Mike Kay
User

Quote:
..........If I may ask, what ammo do you use in your grandfather's 1916 DWM? (My DWM is 1917.)
Thanks
After plenty of trial and error and many stovepipes, I've found that the Czech made Sellier & Bellot 124grain works best, in conjunction with Mecgar magazines. In fact the same combination works flawlessly on my 1942 Mauser Luger.

The common wisdom here is that these guns prefer hotter European ammunition, but whatever you do don't use +P ammunition.

Best,
Mike
Mike Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Mike Kay for your post:
Unread 11-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
RShaw
User

Ahh interesting Mike
Good to know.... I have plenty of the S&B 124 gr...

Noooo I won't go near the +P !!

Thanks!

The following 2 members says Thank You to RShaw for your post: