upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Maybe have a nearby forum member go check it out in person? Or how about sending the funds directly to his FFL dealer? Does he have a seller history on an auction site that you can follow up on? Good luck and keep us posted.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Maybe have a nearby forum member go check it out in person? ...
dju
That's what I was thinking, but would have to figure out in which of 4 different states associated with the listings (s)he's actually located.

Well, I was ridin' real high for a while..enjoyed that. Maybe I'll have some more fun reporting him. In the meantine...bummer!
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

What the hey, George, salt in my wound! http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31714

It's comforting to know there are real ones out there. Yours even has a stock lug and lanyard loop!
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

the best way to have fun with these turkeys is to keep them in the dark about how you knwo its a scam.....or they will just keep getting better. A visit to the address on the money order by the police may be a giggle. Near as I can figure he has the funds sent to a dead address wrong name , right address, then an accomplice mails him the funds....or He has access to the original address mail box.
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #25
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

As mentioned on other forums, have him take a photo of the item with your e-mail address written on a piece of paper placed on top of the item. If he can not do that, he does not actually have the item. Also, google his/her address, see if it is a vacant lot or run down apt building. Google the e-mail address and see if it is associated with any other scams. Ask if a friend who is law enforcement in their town can stop by and look at it for you. Any and all these are a good start. If it smells "fishy" hold on to your wallet. Don't feed the scammers. Insisting that the payment be sent with "tracking" is a red flag. But, if you are sure it is a scam, then it can be fun to play with them.

Last edited by gunbugs; 12-04-2013 at 08:15 PM.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #26
Ben M.
User

aw, come on. send yur money. cant you see the fellow needs money to get his nails done?
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
mystical_tutor
User

Dave;

If he is asking for payment WITH tracking that is in your best interest. You can co that with UPS/FedEx or even the USPS (certified letter etc. with sig required). That will prove that he received it. I suggest a Bank Draft for payment (in case he backs at the escrow) as he will have to provide identification to cash it (unless he deposits it in his account).
All in all that can be used as evidence that he received the payment and collected the money. Whatever you do, don't send payment by Western Union or a similar service.

Ah yes, Fun. What some card collectors do in cases of very expensive Magic cards is require a picture of the owner (seller) holding the card/sealed box of rare cards/whatever.

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #28
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Its probably a SCAM

If it seems too good to be true...... It probably IS too good to be true. Scam. Scam. Scam. But, hey, its your money..... Check the Sturm boards for instructions on SCAMMERS. Good Luck!
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The "advantage" to tracking is he knows when the delivery is going to be made to the "shill" address and he can park outside and wait for the mailman to come down the street and be standing at the address to receive the mail before the actual resident of that address gets their mail. He scoops the check/MO, and leaves. I'd wait all day and sit in a car for 700 bucks, no problem. Without "tracking" he won't know when it will show up, and the person who actually lives at the address will most likely end up with your funds. They won't know why they have your check/MO, and very well may be honest people.
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #30
mystical_tutor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
The "advantage" to tracking is he knows when the delivery is going to be made to the "shill" address and he can park outside and wait for the mailman to come down the street and be standing at the address to receive the mail before the actual resident of that address gets their mail. He scoops the check/MO, and leaves.
That is interesting and have never thought of it. In card collecting we highly advocate tracking in both directions but I have not heard of this happening in the last few years I have been doing it.
Hope no one starts thinking that way in these circles.

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #31
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well, folks, remember the old adage about what seems too good to be true probably is?

The listing, out of the duplicates, that is the "donor"-- by the actual owner-- from which the two phonies were composed, is the one that lists the pistol for $2700. In a phone call to my FFL dealer to see just what kind of FFL he received by email from the other end, he told me it was phony. He's conscientious enough to look up the numbers on the FFLs he receives, to cross-check the other info on the form. This one had been altered to list an address in Indianapolis--changed from the actual holder's address in Kentucky.

I've reported the cheap listings on the other two sites as scams after corresponding with the actual gun owner. And I also forwarded all correspondence between me and the "seller" to an agent in the Syracuse office of the BATFE, along with a copy of the altered license, and the email between me and the real owner.

The agent did not hold out much hope for finding out how this case works out. Once the complaint is accepted, it will start an investigation--checking URLs for the emails sent, etc. She said it may take a couple months for this to happen, then maybe a couple more YEARS to complete the investigation and go after the scumbags, if they decide to. Not very satisfying, but at least the agent said I'd been very thorough in what I'd submitted.

In the meantime, I'll spend any spare moments baiting these crooks. Right now they're waiting for tracking info for a money order which will never arrive. I'll be having all sorts of "trouble" getting to the bank, then the P.O., then I might "lose the receipt" to scan or "get the numbers on it wrong"!! I'll enjoy the creative challenge and am open suggestions as to what to do to give 'em a really hard time for as looooong as I can.

Thanks for all the pointers and suggestions as to how I can protect my money! I don't know if there's a sticky about the finer points of detecting and avoiding gun scams, but I'll try to compile one from the examples provided by this deal and submit it. The contribution by Skye's research was the last straw in sniffing this out; thanks a million!

David Parker
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Anytime thats why we are here right?
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugersrkewl for your post:
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #33
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

David:
I'm surprised that the BATF doesn't take these matters more seriously. Heaven forbid if an FFL dealer forgets to dot the "i"on a 4473. I understand that they are spread pretty thin, but like I said, just disappointed. Thought they'd be all over fictitious FFL's.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #34
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Simple. All they have to do is arrive dressed as a "company courier" for "World Express" which you have "used" to send your "certified funds". When they reach out to collect the envelope, and sign for receipt, the nice delivery driver identifies himself as an ATF or FBI agent, and starts reading them their rights, just after cuffing them. But that would be too easy, so it will never happen..... Just glad you didn't lose any money to the scammers. Be careful out there.
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #35
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Have you had a chance to google the faked address and take a look at the "dropoff"?
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #36
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

David,

I share the disappointment. Do priorities of the bureau really run this way? Incredible!

Doug,

Yes, street view of a dumpy house. Google the woman's name...check out the Facebook page that comes up. Brrr!
NAME--Amber Planck
ADDRESS--928 Minnesota St Indianapolis Indiana 46203

Just got an email from her, wants me to be sure to get it sent tomorrow. He-heh I think I'll offer to drive out tomorrow with the cash and do the exchange ftf at a dealer's.
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #37
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Always beware of deals just before the Holidays! A MG dealer friend told me about an almost perfect, forged Form 4 he just received from someone trying to sell him a Colt 1921 Thompson, (retail value, about $50k).
The times are desperate for some and people are willing to commit felonies of this type, since the prosecution rate is low.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
Ben M.
User

why not send them a phony MO. i am sure you can find an image in the web.
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
why not send them a phony MO. i am sure you can find an image in the web.
I'd thought of that. If I bought one for the $860, took it home and scanned it, then returned to the P.O. and redeemed it myself, I'd only be out the fee for the order--not much.

I told 'em this morning that I couldn't start the truck to make it to the bank by noon, stalling until at least Monday. It will be next week sometime when they'd be led to believe that a money order was purchased. I may scan an old receipt and doctor the image to be sufficiently leading and confusing, as I'm not going to bother with actually buying one.

But before that, I'll tease 'em with the idea that I'm driving out there for a face-to-face transaction...or maybe that I have a friend there who is going to stop by and check it out. I might get a phone number out of them, which could help with further shenanigans.
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tell em you're going to send them the money via western union. Then they will have to go to the office and stand around. That'll waste a day of their life, and keep them away from the computer. Only after you lead them on for several days on the money order. Be careful about forging or "counterfeiting" any money orders. They will never get in trouble, but with our luck, the feds will be knocking on our door the next day.