LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Closed Thread
Unread 05-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
campfooey
User

Default 1920 commerical DWM

I have a chance to buy a 1920 DWM which is marked made in GERMANY I read that these pistols are to be unmarked with the GERMANY mark how does this affect the value. The pistol has matching numbers and is in good plus shape he want's 800.00 is this a fair price Not sure if mag. is wood bottom John
Unread 05-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

The GERMANY stamp is a country-of-origin identifier required by U.S. customs law on all foreign-made goods. Its presence or absence on a Luger is value-neutral.

--Dwight
Unread 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

That stamp simply means that the gun was intended for export. It's a marking required in the US to import any gun from outside the USA. A lot of Lugers aren't marked that way, because they were brought back by service members after the war.

You should see if you can buy it with an option to return it, after having it inspected by a gun smith or Luger expert. Most reputable gun shops will give you at least 3-days.
Unread 05-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

If the pistol is as spiffy as you suggest, that's a very good price, even if it's .30 Luger.
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

That price would certainly be "ball park" for my part of the Country.
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
campfooey
User

I talked with the owner and the numbers do match but its not a wood bottom mag. although it is marked P08 on it
Unread 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
campfooey
User

I looked on Simpson's are all there 1920 commercials over priced
Unread 05-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I think you're seeing the difference between a price for direct collector sale and the retail price a dealer charges. Expect a 30% difference.

Note that the retail dealer price is what you should insure things for, since that is how you must assume you'd replace a loss.
Unread 05-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

It likely is a later, FXO mag, desireable, worth around $200 if in good shape. Commercial wood-bottom replacement's less expensive purchase would net you a profit if you sell the FXO first, which would get you into this pistol for a bit less.
Unread 05-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Regarding the difference between direct collector sale and "retail" (E.G. Simpson's): I have learned that if you are just looking for a generic Luger model or bargain hunting, or can wait out the time, you can often get a good deal. However, if you are looking for something specific, or want only top quality, very often you are simply going to have to pay the price.

Frankly direct collector sale often works this way as well, even between friends who know what their Lugers are worth and respect each other's sensibilities.

--Dwight
The following 3 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 05-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
campfooey
User

Thanks for the help for 800.00 it seems like a ok deal John
Unread 06-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
alvin
User

In general, C&R collecting is a money game. Dumping money in, some nice items will come. But very nice one could also come very cheap. Even including rare items. All you need is knowing what you're looking at, plus luck to meet a few.

Back some years ago, a collector told me "there are some sellers willing to sell their guns undervalue". Sounds like unbelievable, but I found that's true.

So, it's not pure money game.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 06-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
campfooey
User

I bought the pistol and got a box of ammo. It shoots and feeds great, thanks for your input John
Unread 06-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I look at it from a different perspective. A luger has a self life for years to come and will continue to go up in value! The shelf life of cash in your pockets is only a few minutes. especially if you are married! If you so decide, you can someday sell it for more than you paid years ago! If you want you can decide what to do with the proceeds or hold it for some future investment, commodity or maybe another luger. I have never regretted any of my purchases! Also they are usually divorce proof in many states~ ~~Eric
Unread 06-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
I look at it from a different perspective. A luger has a self life for years to come and will continue to go up in value! The shelf life of cash in your pockets is only a few minutes. If you so decide, you can someday sell it for more than you paid years ago! If you want you can decide what to do with the proceeds or hold it for some future investment, commodity or maybe another luger. I have never regretted any of my purchases! Also they are usually divorse proof! ~~Eric,
I can't agree with your comment on "divorce proof"; I know too many guys that did not escape with their lugers or other collectables or even their shirt at times.

Maybe they did poor planning, or just plan screwed up; but
collections are like any other property, it gets divided.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
alvin
User

Personally, I don't understand why many people only buy guns, and don't sell any. I agree that it's hard to make money from frequent buy and sale (unless bought it undervalue). Don't know other people's situation, not make money from this type of trading is OK with me. I am not living on this. Through buy and sell, buy and sell, buy and sell, ...., buy and sell, more C&R will pass though my hands, I can touch more guns. Of course, some guns are keepers forever, ,,, , if you only buy keepers, then, different story. But if you only buy keepers,,,, how do you know which one is keeper initially... What collectors initially buy were almost invariably from reputable C&R dealers, I acquired one from Simpson and one from FGS in the past, I believed they were keepers, at least initially I thought so, but later found there are better ones, either from price, or from condition, or from completeness point of view... they were excellent pieces, but all resold. Having said that, however, I noticed there is a "balance" point in this, after that, it becomes harder and harder.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
Rick W.
User

The keepers call to you.
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #18
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I am referring to premarital assets. I am now on my third and hope that three times a charm! My second said what hers is hers a what mine is also hers! Messy
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #19
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
,,,, how do you know which one is keeper initially...
The quick answer is you do your homework. But that is not how it happens 99% of the time. Us geezers always tell the new guys to buy books before jumping into the murky waters, but the heat of the hunt throws good judgement out the window. It is only the remorse of a dumb purchase that usually is required to stimulate "book learnin'".
Unread 06-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #20
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

In 1976 I purchased a custom made muzzle loading rifle - a real beauty and extra fine shooter. My wife called it a foolish purchase and was mad for 14 years. In the divorce, in 1990, she tried to get that rifle, which seemed kind of ridiculous, but didn't succeed. Then she tried to purchase it from me.
There is a lesson about women and guns there; somewhere, I think.
Jack
The following member says Thank You to CAP Black for your post:
Closed Thread