LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
alvin
User

Default August 2013 issue of Shotgun News

This issue has a C96 with stock attached on the cover featuring the article Broomhandles Still Fascinate by collector Kokalis. So I bought a copy of the magazine from Barnes & Nobles this afternoon.

The author revealed some "historical" price of C96 in the past 30 years. That's interesting:

1) Standard Small Ring #173766 with stock. He did not say the stock being matching or not, but the stock matches the gun's condition, most likely matching stock): $390 in 1974.

2) Red Nine 1920 Weimar Police Rework, "S. Kg. 1. 94", $175 in 1971.

3) Postwar Bolo #499532 with stock. Again, he did not say stock being matching or not, but it's the period correct stock on picture, and condition matches the gun perfectly, most like being a matching stock. $3000 in 1991.

4) Nazi Astra 900, $436.35 in 1974. A mismatched Astra stock for the gun, acquired "thirty years later", $1310 in ~2004.

5) Chinese "Type 17" Shansei .45ACP with stock. From picture, it's a post 1980 assembly. $1400 in 2002.
Attached Images

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Hi Alvin! Just a little bit of Shotgun News trivia...

There are at least three different monthly issues of Shotgun News...

1. The newsstand edition, which you have shown. Glossy cover. Comes out once a month.

2. The monthly subscription edition (which I get). Newsprint cover. Once a month.

3. The tri-monthly subscription edition (for want of a better term) - Comes out three times a month. Newsprint cover.

Not all editions have the same articles. Fr'instance, my edition does not have the C96 article. Jam packed with pro-gun editorials however.

For serious collectors, the 'tri-monthly' subscription edition is the one to have. I'm not serious, and my local supermarket does not carry glossy monthly edition.

Some articles are available online. I will have to check in a month or so and see if the C96 article is... Online back-issue articles do not have pictures; just text...

Edit: I usually drop the current edition off at my local gun club...But for some odd reason, the April 20, 1996 issue is still in my bookcase...Yellowed with age...Lemme check if any C96 for sale...

Edit2: Sarco has/had Mauser Bolo for $175...Luger P08 for $275...

Edit3: I attached subscription form if anyone is interested...
Attached Images

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I subscribe to the three/month subscription of Shotgun News and have for way more years than I can remember. I have not yet read the edition on the Broomhandle Mausers , but look forward to it. Some of Kokalis's articles are pretty good, and some.....well I will stop there.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
alvin
User

The article is actually good. It does not contain new information, but it did well on introducing the gun to general C&R fans. Not very comfortable on seeing the article mixing pre-WWII production with post-1980 stuffs, but that style does cover a broader domain.

He mentioned the $3000 bolo was a super nice one from South Africa in unfired condition (or, fired very little). It was probably not acquired from Sarco. Those mint 1930 or Bolo printed on the cover of "Modern Gun Values" of mid 1980 were listed around $1000 (gun only). Probably he did not see one in LGS.... in that era, he had to physically run around to find something.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Not very comfortable on seeing the article mixing pre-WWII production with post-1980 stuffs, but that style does cover a broader domain.
Internet influence is everywhere; web sites abound with false or misleading information...[especially Wikipedia!]...

I followed a link from Lugerman's site to a bayonet site; interesting but when I browsed US M16 prototype bayonets, information was wrong/misleading/incomplete...

I am not an expert on anything, but I know a little about things I am interested in...Information from books, personal observation, museums, private collections...

Now, no one investigates themselves; they just copy others' posted online 'facts'...

Bah...

/rant
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
alvin
User

Reading is definitely necessary, so collector does not start from ground zero. I agree that certain conventional theories having some holes. An example theory was C96 jumping on s/n in its early days, which was not referred frequently these days. Probably collector community realized gun manufacturing was not clean cut everywhere, transitional period was very normal.

Since Erickson, the most important published data on C96 (and other Mauser guns) was "Mauser Archive".

[Edit] And, collectors have noticed, through sample observation, that many minor changes on C96 are not meaningless. Probably very obvious to previous generation of collectors, so no one mentioned those. But actually interesting though.

Last edited by alvin; 07-15-2013 at 07:27 PM.