LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Linda
User

Default value of a 42 1939 mauser???

I inherited a 42 Luger (1939) from my dad and have absolutely no knowledge of guns except what I've gotten from here. I am looking to sell it so I took it to a local gun shop in NH where the guy said he certainly wasn't a Luger expert, but thought it was in very good condition and pulled out 2 reference guides from 2003 which valued it at $800-1200.

My questions are:

- does that value sound right? All the numbers match as does the number on the magazine. It does not appear to be re-blued.

- have values increased since 2003 and am I being scammed?

- if it's worth roughly $1000, what should I expect the dealer to pay me?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Linda,

It all depends on condition. Can you post photos? $800-$1200 is about what a dealer would offer if it is in 90% condition.

I am assuming that he was quoting that price as retail? Therefore would offer you even less. Selling directly to a dealer usually won't benefit anyone ,but the dealer.

If you can post good clear photos? It's a good possibilty that you may find one of our members who would offer a better price. Or at least get a better idea of the true value.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
minigun
User

Hello,
I'm needing a '39 Luger and would possibly be interested. Please shoot me some pics and your email address at the following G36MP5@MSN.COM .

What we'll need is pics more than anything. Collectors here are looking to see the finish "pigments" (I guess is the best word to describe it) or coloring of the metal finish to see if it is re-blued or not. Also, we need to see (or at least describe) the stamps on the pistol-very important. Also, what will detract or add to the value of the gun is the grips-chipped or broken or what? Are they correctly numbered to the gun or the correct waffenampt stamps inside? Be careful if you remove the grips as they can easily break and also a standard screw driver will damage the screw slot. Also, is the mag a correct "period" magazine or does the numbering match the gun-also a big thing in value.

Depending on these will the value be up or down. Whether the gun is a "shooter" or a "collector" will determine all the above and ultimately the value of it. "Shooters" will bring a lot less $'s.

What was the story on how your father acquired it? Does it have "capture papers" with it? If so, that will also add to the value of the gun. Capture papers are what he might have gotten from the Army when or if he "liberated" the gun. Usually collectors will not "buy the story", but it is interesting to know how he got it. They will buy true "capture papers".

"Book values" dealers have are usually not right. Rarely do collectors go by "book values". Dealers keep them to try and at least find a starting point so that they don't have to keep up with prices of firearms they are dealing in. Most dealers know some about firearms here and there, but not a lot on one subject matter, like this guy with your Luger.

Good luck, Kelly-----PS: Looks like Ron and I posted at the same time. What he says also goes-but looks like we said about the same stuff.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Welcome to the Lugerforum Linda...

What Ron and minigun (Kelly) have advised you is good advice. If you can post photographs here on the forum, you are likely to get a much higher price than that offered by a local dealer because he will be looking to make money on the deal when he sells it, and anyone buying here will only be looking to add or upgrade their collection...

If you need assistance posting photographs, just ask.

How close are you to Portsmouth? As it happens, we have several long time members in NH who could look at your Luger and provide assistance directly...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
Linda
User

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Here are the best pictures I could get. Let's just say no one would give me a job doing this.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/linda_luger_1.jpg
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/linda_luger2.jpg
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/linda_mag.jpg

I couldn't get a focused picture of the stamps. On the barrel are 3 stamps. Closest to the body of the gun is a v shaped eagle with 3 line drawing type wings and '555' underneath; next to that is a 2? winged eagle with '655' underneath; and closest to the open end of the barrel is a fuller bodied eagle. As you look down the barrel there is a small full bodied eagle under the barrel (not on the bottom of the barrel but on the part of the gun just underneath the barrel on the body of the gun). On the under part of the barrel is '8,83' And I think you can see in the picture the word stamped under the ???safety???.

The grips are intact, not chipped or broken. I'm too chicken to try to take them off.

The magazine appears to match. The gun serial number is 7352, the magazine says 7352 but the 2 a little bigger than the other numbers. Also on the magazine is a 'w' and a 3 winged line drawing like eagle with '53' under it.

I don't know how my dad got it; he wouldn't talk about the war.

Does that help at all?

One other thing - I think I have the bullets. Are they worth anything or should I just try to figure out how to get rid of them?

Thanks so much for your help,
Linda
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Kris1
User

Linda,

That looks like a pretty minty gun from here, with the matching mag and assuming its not played with the estimate you were given is probably half its value on a retail level. A dealer would have 1800.00 on that gun minimum and he would pay whatever he can get it for.

Yeah, If that was sold for anything less than 1500.00 it would be a crime as the matching mag is a nice bonus. If you dont get that send me an e-mail. allach1@cox.net
Kris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Okay Linda... now for my heirloom pitch..

Are you sure you want to get rid of this... are their no heirs in your family that have an interest in guns? or WW2? Once you sell it, it is gone forever... how will you feel when years from now your "favorite" grandson/daughter or nephew/niece asks about your Dad, and did he fight in that war? and did he bring home any war trophies? ... and you have to tell him or her that he did bring home a genuine German Luger pistol, but you sold it...

I have the gun my late father brought back from WW2... it will never leave my possession until I am too old to enjoy the memories of him and what he did for our country... then my grandson will inherit it...

Just something to think about... unless you need the money, I would care for the gun with proper storage, and keep it with remembrances of your Dad. It is a real piece of world history... and HIS.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
pvluger
User

I agree with John's above statement.

my 2 cents.
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Linda
User

John,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. That was really nice. If I thought the gun meant anything to my dad I might keep it, but I truly don't think it did. With 3 young kids in the house I'd be happier with it sold. If anyone is interested, my email is lwllms@pol.net.

Linda
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Nomadr
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Linda,
Another thing to think about! That luger will never lose it's value, and probably one of your best investments (outside your kids).
It wouldn't take much to lock it away for 20 years!
I like Johns advice! either way... good luck, and congratulations to the forum member that snags a great prize!!!
Bob
Nomadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
minigun
User

Email sent on your Luger. Thanks, Kelly
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
blayne
User

When my father in law died, he had lots of things that meant something to me or my wife, but many things did not. There were things that meant something to my wife, that I had no interest in. If Linda knows no history on the luger, it is hard for her to have any meaningful reason to keep it.
blayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
Linda
User

Default additional photos

OK, these are better close-ups than I could get before - the stamps on the side, the serial number of the pistol, and the magazine serial number:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/lindastamps.jpg

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/lindaluger3.jpg

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...zineserial.jpg

I would like to sell this pistol by Friday, to transfer it asap after that through a FFL dealer. As I still don't know how much it is worth, I will accept the highest offer by Friday at 9pm EST.

Thanks for all your help and information! I feel so much better selling it to someone who will care about it, rather than just some dealer.

Linda
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Linda, this is not an auction site, further, if we move this to the gun trader board you have to set a fixed price.

If you desire to put this up for auction, there are auction sites available.

I realize you are trying to get the best deal for yourself, and members like a nice pristine gun, but if sold on the forum, the rules must be followed. A 3 day return privledge is expected if not as claimed.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:52 PM   #15
Linda
User

Default 2nd magazine

I forgot to mention I also have a second magazine with the pistol. It looks pretty crummy on the end to me but whoever buys the gun is welcome to it if you want it. Photos are attached -

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/linda2ndmag2.jpg
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/linda2ndmag.jpg

Linda
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #16
Linda
User

Sorry. I didn't know the rules. I will most certainly abide by them since you have been so much help. I will set a price within a day or two and move it if you tell me how to do that without having to re-enter all the info. Thank you. My apologies. Linda
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:02 PM   #17
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Linda, I realize you are trying to work within our rules, and I am more than willing to help

I can move this thread to the trader section any time you ask, all links, etc.

I sent you a PM, and I am willling to help if you'd like. Also, Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine has some luger knowledgable folks, who would give you a fair indication of value, although I think that has been done here.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #18
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Linda, Your spare mag is from a WW1 era DWM military PO8 #2165n. If some one here on the forum owns that luger, I'm sure that they would be happy to offer you $100 for it, even in rough condition. TH
Unread 10-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Linda
User

Thanks. I am astounded that you could tell that from those 2 photos. I couldn't make out the number in person. Wow!!!
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
mak
User

Linda,

I know you are determined to sell it. But, I agree with John. Go put that pistol in the safe deposit box and pass it on.

MAK
mak is offline   Reply With Quote