LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #21
Pistol
User

Thanks everyone for the answers. You will have to excuse my lack of luger knowledge. I am newbie, and fortuantely for me there is a wealth of information on this forum.

It does not hold open with or without the mag. I'm going to get a photo of the top of the frame as Ron suggested. I don't think it has one, but I'm still unsure being new to lugers.

Postino - should it have a letter as part of the serial #?

Klaus- this is the gun that came in the holster we discussed in the holster thread. I appreciate your input. I agree with the others that your English is just fine. We have our own form/style of English where I come from as well.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I think this is the first 5-digit commercial serial w/o letter that I've seen...

Is that odd??? (The serial, I mean...not my lack of seeing)...
you never see a five digit with a suffix letter (a few exceptions, my OPM police luger is an example); but commercial didn't come with suffix's.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
you never see a five digit with a suffix letter (a few exceptions, my OPM police luger is an example); but commercial didn't come with suffix's.

Ed
Ed - You're saying that 5-digit commercial didn't come with suffix, correct??? (My 4-digit commercial DWM does have suffix)...
sheepherder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
MFC
User

Pistino,
Commercials were numbered starting with #1 to #92000 with no suffix. Then they switched to the military style (not placement) of numbering begining at 2000i... the equivalent of 92000.
Unread 08-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #25
klaus 3338
User

I may thank you all for the nice words.
Postino, the affected parts had to be replaced.

For Bill Lyon ``-.'#+**>!&%)))%´°^^Êmµm= a big thanks of an alien
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #26
Pistol
User

Default Klaus & Others

Could post #6 last three photos of barrel/reciever be Nazi Z's that were added later. See on both sides of the #51?

Or are these marks part of the original marks when the gun was manufactured 1911-1913?

What is the estimated manufactured date based on the serial #?
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #27
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus 3338 View Post
Postino, the affected parts had to be replaced.
...But what happened to the defective parts???

(I'm assuming the worker was shot)...
sheepherder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

They are original marks, there is no Nazi connection. It is hard to say when it was manufactured, but assuming an even production rate would place it toward the end of 1911.
Unread 08-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #29
Pistol
User

Thanks Ron - that goes along with the Holster which is:

AWM-3-11
Unread 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #30
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Here is a photo borrowed from another thread that will identify the location of the holdopen device. If yours doesn't have this part, it will not remain open after the last shot.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 09-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #31
Pistol
User

John and Ron -

I'm almost certain it does not have the hold open. I'm going to post some photos to confirm. There is not evidence on the right side above the trigger either.
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
Pistol
User

I don't see a hold-open and no evidence of rework pin above the trigger
Attached Images

Last edited by Pistol; 09-02-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Unread 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #33
klaus 3338
User

Pistol, have you ever heard of the Landau list? In 1914 all P08 should get the hold open and a new front size. All Prussian P08 got both, most of the P08 of the kingdom of Württemberg but none of the Bavarian Army. At that time the Great War started. I can´t say what happened with the P08 of Saxony.
The Bavarian Artillery depots had to enumerate all the P08 and send the list to the royal Bavarian Feldzeugmeisterei. (By the way: is there anyone who could translate if I would write in German? Often I´m missing the right words and so I do not write all that what I would write if I would write in German- terrible English- I know.) One of these lists is the (Bavarian) Landau list. The members of Stills forum will remember that I found five Lugers with the regiment marks on the list. On this list are enumerated some more than 2500 Lugers. AND NOW- there are many commercial Lugers listed which belonged to the officers of the Bavarian regiments of the Landau Artillery depot.
The number of your gun is 58739- listed there are in the Landau list for example following numbers which are very close to your pistol: 58735 (only 4 numbers of your gun); 58763, 58806, 58810, 58813, 58828 and 58851 (and there are many more).
I also picked up and observed here in Germany that it was the practice that the officers, who must pay for their own P08 with their own money, got Luger of the commercial production. It was the absolute exception if they got an Imperial accepted Luger.
Without any question was your Luger bought by a Bavarian officer.
I hope that you appreciate this information.

Best regards Klaus
Unread 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #34
Pistol
User

Klaus -
I very much appreciate your information and input as always. Klaus if you have much more info that is easier for you to type in German, please feel free do so. I can copy and paste your post, and then hit translate to English in a word document. I think(?)

Klaus-
Do you recall discussing the AWM 3-11 holster that came with this gun in the holster forum? You told me it was Bavarian and we discussed the regiments stamped on the holster. The german that submitted this gun said he was the Oberbürgermeister von München.

Please see the thread where you posted the photo of your grandfather in the holster thread.This is thread where we discussed the regiments.

Also, I found out that there was a .22 barell with this gun. Did the .22 barrel come later during the 1930-1940's, or were there .22 barrels during Imperial times?

Last edited by Pistol; 02-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Unread 09-03-2009, 02:16 AM   #35
klaus 3338
User

Pistol, the Selbstladeeinstecklauf (S.E.L) in cal. 22 for the P08 was introduced on the 1. Oktober 1932 in the Army and apportioned by the "supply place" (Nachschubverbindungsstelle) Spandau. The older subcalibrebarrels in 4mm went back to the arsenals Spandau, Kassel and Königsberg.
The large wooden boxes were made until 1934 when the R.G. 34 (Reinigungsgerät 34) replaced the cleaning rods in cal. 22. Then came the small wooden boxes.
Unread 09-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #36
klaus 3338
User

I found the thread with the holster.
Both, the 2. and the 16. Bavarian Inf. Reg. build the 2. Bavarian Infanterie Brigarde. It was common that regiments of an Inf. Brig. gave parts of theit equipment if an reserve regiment was made (terrible English again). That´s the thing with the holster.

The names of the Oberbürgermeister could be found in the regiments histories under following conditions: if they died in action or were woundet; if they got a honor (Eiserne Kreuz erster oder zweiter Klasse). I´m sure das the former owner of the P08 was an officer. So you would find his name on several pages of the regiment history.

I hope I could answer your question.

Best regards Klaus
Unread 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #37
Pistol
User

Default Klaus

Hey Klaus -
Is my gun on the Landau list? I saw in another post where you said the holsters were dyed black in 1915. Why did they have to be blacked in1915?

Last edited by Pistol; 02-23-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #38
klaus 3338
User

Pistol,
your P08 is not at the Landau list. Because of the unit stamps on the flap of the holster it is not possible. The 16. Inf. Regiment and the 2. Reserve Inf. Regiment were part of the 1. Bavarian Armycorps with it´s Artilleriedepots in Augsburg and München.
Landau was with Germersheim and Würzburg the Artilleriedepot of the 2. Bavarian Armycorps.

The order for dyed black the holsters don´t tell us the reason for it- sorry but I`m not able to answer your question.

I tried to find out the Regiment of Fiehler- I wasn´t able. If I would like to know it I would buy the regiment history of the 2. Bavarian Res. Inf. Reg. and if I couldn´t find him there I would try it with the 16. Bavarian Inf. Reg.

Regards Klaus
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
Pistol
User

- So, my gun is not on the Landau becasue it went to a regiment that was part of Ist Bavarian Army Corps.

The other lugers with similar serial numbers 58763, 58806, 58810, 58813, 58828 and 58735 were sent to regiments that were part of the 2nd Bavarian Army Corps.

Therefore, the guns were made around the same time (similar serial numbers), but were sent to different regiments with different artilleriedepots.

Is there a list for Artilleriedepots in Augsburg and München?

- So, about the black dye holsters. It is known that there was an order in 1915 to dye them black, but the reason for the black dye is unknown. Was the order for all holsters to be dyed black, or only for certain regiments? Was the order given by the commander? Does the fact that the holster was dyed black in 1915 indicate it was still being used by an active soldier at the time?

- "I would buy the regiment history of the 2. Bavarian Res. Inf. Reg. and if I couldn´t find him there I would try it with the 16. Bavarian Inf. Reg."

Where can I buy?

Thanks again Klaus.

Last edited by Pistol; 06-07-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #40
klaus 3338
User

Pistol,
um auf Ihre Frage eine Antwort geben zu können, muss ich etwas weiter ausholen und erlaube mir, das in Deutsch zu versuchen. Leider muss ich davon ausgehen, dass die Übersetzung, die ich nicht einmal kontrollieren kann, mit Fehlern behaftet sein wird. Mir fehlt einfach das richtige Gefühl für den Gebrauch der englischen Sprache.

Die besagte Landauer Liste entstand infolge der Verfügung des Allgemeinen Kriegsdepartments des Preußischen Kriegsministeriums vom 6. Mai 1913, die den Einbau des Kammerfangs und den Austausch des Korns, zum Erreichen der einheitlichen Visierschussweite von 50 m, vorsah.
Das Königreich Bayern entschied sich durch Verfügung des bayrischen Kriegsministeriums vom 2. März 1914 erst 10 Monate später zu dem gleichen Schritt; wie wir wissen zu spät, da am 1. September der 1. Weltkrieg ausbrach. Die Königreiche Sachsen und Württemberg waren hier wohl schneller mit ihrer Entscheidung; zumindest für Württemberg ist gesichert, dass die Pistolen nur teilweise umgebaut werden konnten. Zur Sachlage in Sachsen fehlen mir leider jegliche Hinweise.

Um die Anzahl der zu ändernden P08 festzustellen, beauftragten die Artilleriedepots die ihnen zugewiesenen Regimenter mit der Auflistung der zu ändernden Pistolen. Die den einzelnen Königreichen gehörenden Pistolen sollten natürlich alle geändert werden. Bei den dem Privatbesitz der Offiziere zuzuordnenden Pistolen wurden den Besitzern die Möglichkeit der Änderung zum Preis von 2,80 Goldmark angeboten, entscheiden durften sie natürlich selbst, ob sie die Änderung durchführen lassen wollten oder nicht. 16500 Pistolen des Königreiches Bayern neben ca. 500 P08 aus privatem Besitz wurden letztendlich der Gewehrfabrik Erfurt zur Änderung mitgeteilt.
Es liegen im Kriegsarchiv des Bayrischen Hauptstaatsarchivs noch mehrere Listen der bayrischen Artilleriedepots vor, doch weisen diese im Gegensatz zur Auflistung aus Landau nur sehr vereinzelt die Waffennummern aus. Anders bei der Landauer Liste. Hier wird den einzelnen Regimentern und Ersatzformationen penibel die Waffennummer zugeordnet. Dieser Aufstellung können wir unter anderem entnehmen, dass der 1. Ersatz M.G. Kompagnie des II. Armeekorps 189 P08 zugeordnet waren, oder, dass den einzelnen Bataillonen des Bayrischen 18. Infanterie Regiments unterschiedliche Mengen an Ordonnanzpistolen zustanden (43, 44 und 45 Stück).
Die Sache hat aber einen Haken; die Waffenmeister der einzelnen Regimenter unterschieden weder nach Hersteller, noch nach dem Herstelldatum und vergaßen zudem oft den Buchstaben zur Seriennummer, so dass wir nur dann einen wirklichen Überblick erhalten, wenn wir anhand der Truppenstempel zweifelsfrei mehrere Pistolen den Auflistungen der Regimenter zuordnen können.

Und jetzt zu Ihrer zivilen DWM mit Nr. 58739 und der dazugehörigen Tasche. Wenn die Tasche nicht zur Pistole gehören sollte, sondern erst später, vielleicht durch einem Sammler, zur Pistole gekommen wäre, wäre es durchaus möglich, dass die Pistole an eine Formation, ein Regiment, des Kgl. Bay. 2. Armeekorps ausgegeben wurde, vielleicht sogar an ein Regiment, das zum Landauer Artilleriedepot zählte. Dann aber hätte sich der Offizier gegen die Ausführung der Änderung an seiner Pistole entschieden, da Sie auf der Liste nicht geführt wird.
Ich aber gehe davon aus, dass P08 und Tasche zusammengehören; nachweisen lässt sich das aber aus den oben geschilderten Gründen nicht.

Aber immerhin stärkt die in der Liste aufgeführte Seriennummer 58763 die Vermutung, dass Ihre Waffe an das 2. Bayrische Armeekorps geliefert wurde.

Nun noch zur Frage der geschwärzten Taschen.
In 1915 wird im Armee- Verordnungsblatt dreimal über Pflege und/oder Schwärzen berichtet. Es gab eine Allerhöchste Kabinettsorder vom 21. September, der schon am 27. September eine Anleitung zum Schwärzen der Taschen folgte. Solche Befehle galten in diesem Fall für die Bedarfsträger der Ordonnanzpistole und nicht für die mit der P08 ausgerüsteten Offiziere. Die Taschen der Offiziere bleiben bis in den 2. Weltkrieg hinein braun.

Ich würde in jedem Fall davon ausgehen, dass nachträglich geschwärzte Taschen mit Herstellung vor 1915 in 1915 auch in Gebrauch waren. Davon abgesehen möchte ich bemerken, dass wohl nur ein ganz geringer Prozentsatz der in 1915 getragenen Taschen auch geschwärzt wurde. Ich habe bestimmt noch mehr als 50 Taschen der Jahre 1909- 1911 und nur drei davon wurden nachträglich geschwärzt.
Wenn man selbst heute noch über die Schlachtfelder des 1. Weltkrieges geht, oder sich die zeitgenössischen Fotos davon ansieht, mag man sich vorstellen, dass den Soldaten damals im Grabenkrieg ganz andere Sorgen quälten, als ihre Schuhe und das andere Lederzeug zu schwärzen!

Zur letzten Frage: Ich kann von hier aus natürlich nicht beantworten, ob es in den Staaten möglich ist, die in Frage kommenden Regimentsgeschichten käuflich erwerben zu können, doch sollte es über einen längeren Zeitraum hin möglich sein, diese hier in Deutschland zu erwerben.
Da der Name des vermeintlichen Besitzers ja bekannt ist, sollte es selbst für jemanden ohne Deutschkenntnisse möglich sein, die Regimentsgeschichten nach dem Namen zu durchforsten.

Best regards Klaus
The following member says Thank You to klaus 3338 for your post: