LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 04-30-2005, 10:40 PM   #21
thegundude
User

I sure haven't been able to find anything, not even mismatched junk Lugers, for less than $500, and that's why I was so leary once I learned my low bid actually won this one. :-O

I know it's no superstar collectable gun. I still can't really afford those yet. I'll get there one day, but right now I'm still learning about them and buying a multitude of other guns as well. I collect Colt Police Positives too. Don't ask me why, I just love them for some strange reason. Same deal with these Lugers, only stronger, if you can understand that.

You know what I really need to buy is a few books....

And I still don't have the gun yet..... :-P Now I can't freakin' wait.......... :-D

BTW, in case I've failed to mention this guys, I sure do like hangin' around here. Every post I read, I learn something.... :-) Thanks....

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #22
thegundude
User

Pics now....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0Mleftside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Mrightside.jpg

~Steve
Unread 05-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #23
Ron Smith
User

Steve,
It looks a lot better in your photos. Hugh was right. 0000 steelwool and some good cold blue would really dress it up.

In case you don't already know this. Clean the areas with steelwool and run hot water on it to warm the metal and open the pores, dry it with paper towels. Apply the cold blue before it cools. The blue will take much better.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #24
DougT
User

Steve, you owe it to yourself to examine a Thor restoration before you decide. And I guarantee you that if you hold a Thor restored Luger in your hands, you will no longer question if you should send it to him. It will simply be a matter of when can you send it.
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #25
Rod WMG
User

I vote for Thor!
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #26
thegundude
User

Guys, I'm confused....

I was under the impression that any kind of restoration, especially rebluing, was strictly verboten on anything collectable. Won't it ruin it's value?

I'm all for making it look as nice as possible. I'm already making plans to take some 0000 wool to it and clean it up as much as possible, but rebluing?

I've been doing amatuer gunsmithing for years. Nothing for profit mind you, but always using the part of the Hypocratic Oath "First, do no harm" in my work. For example I'd never try and reblue one of my Colt PPs.

I've built an AR from the ground up (okay, easy I know) and I've reblued countless guns and gun parts (and some things that aren't gun parts). "Fixed" so many guns by simply cleaning them I could have made a living off of that alone........ I know my way around most guns in a little more than just a very general way.

Am I missing something here? Or is this gun considered kind of "less collectable" and could benefit more from a restoration than it could be hurt by it? ...

~Steve
Unread 05-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #27
thegundude
User

I'd love for it to look like new again, I'm just afraid of hurting any collector value it might have, if any at all.....

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #28
DougT
User

Steve,
Value is subjective. Your 1920 Commercial is at the absolute bottom of the matching number Luger food chain, simply because there were so many of them made. On the other hand, your Luger is an excellent example of the general type, and will make for a very sweet gun to own and enjoy. Last year I purchased a 1923 Commercial .30 in about 95% condition. This gun is identical to yours except for it's year of manufacture and condition. I paid more than twice for it than what you paid. As soon as Thor finishes the restoration he is currently doing for me, I plan to send him this gun because I want it to be 100%. My Lugers have the value that I give them, not necessarily what the market dictates. Again, I urge you to contact someone in your area who wouldn't mind showing you a Thor restoration, and all your questions will be answered. If you can't find anyone in your neighborhood, get a cheap flight to Los Angeles and I'll be happy to show you my Thor restored Lugers. You have to see them to believe them, and then you won't want anything less.
DougT
Unread 05-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #29
thegundude
User

That's true, value is subjective. But Blue Book value isn't.

My fear is that fifty years hence when I'm long gone and my SO is selling off my collection to pay the bills (probably an Alaskan vacation, knowing her) that she doesn't have to hear, "Oh, I'd grab up that 1920 Luger becasue it's been reblued and that kills the collector value." I know that I've said it before about many guns....

Would it look prettier on my wall? No question. Would I be happy with the rework? Almost certainly.

Would it lower it's resale value (comparitive to the cost of refurb) is what I don't know.....

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #30
DougT
User

Steve,
Thor optionally puts his refinisher mark on the guns. In 10 or 20 years, this mark will be the equivalent of having an original, signed Picasso. How's that for "Blue Book value?"
DougT
Unread 05-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #31
thegundude
User

Hmmm..... Actually, you make a good point. :-/ I may have to consider that.

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #32
Aaron
Banned

The more common the Luger, the more the true collector demands it be in as perfectly original condition as possible. The rarer the Luger, the more a true collector will tolerate less than perfect condition. Your 1920 is only moderately collectible even in perfect original condition. The fact is, your Luger is useful only for plinking at the range and would only be of interest to a shooter or perhaps to an accumulator who wants to own something from the Luger family just as a conversation piece, even if refinished. You may get a cheap $75 Bubba reblue or spend around $400 or more for a professional restoration. In either case, a true collector will have virtually no interest as he will probably be able to discern that the finish is not original. Save your money for a nice Luger with a decent original finish, preferably in 9mm. Many are available at around $800, and if you can't find one, I'm sure some of us on this forum can help you.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #33
DougT
User

I am building my collection from Thor restored guns. Give me 10 years, and they will command a higher price than any of their "original" counterparts. My restored Luger can beat up your original Luger!
DougT
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #34
thegundude
User

Aaron, fortunately for me, it was my intention to buy this one for shooting. I figured that $500 for a shooter is a little high, but it was a matching shooter. :-) Now of course, my education is expanding and I'm thinking of having Thor spend some time on it. To me, they're all valuable.... Even if some of them are like the ugly kids.... :-P

I do have a 1938, 42 code that's in a little better shape than this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/DSCF0746.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09leftside.jpg

I paid $750 for it and I'm pretty pleased. I know it's only one rung above the 1920 Commercial, but I'm just starting.... I'll probably pick up at least one more this year. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to spend some money on that one..... :-/

Doug, when I have Thor do his thing, I'll ask him to knock his proof into it.... My thinking on that will be right along side yours. It may be the most common thype of Luger, but it's been reworked by a master. Like having Stradivarius fix your old clunker violin.... :-)

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #35
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Steve, when you post a picture, can you post it here? That way, the picture stays as long as the thread. I have seen many photos disappear (guy thinks it is taking up space on his site, it "times out" and disappears, site overloads and blows up, etc), yet these threads remain...

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #36
thegundude
User

Sure thing Ed.

I was just trying to make it easier on those with slow connections....

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #37
Aaron
Banned

Looks like a pretty decent Luger to me. Does it have any problems?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #38
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

thanks Steve, uh, actually meant posting it to the thread, that way, as long as the thread remains, the pictures remain. Lots of guys take their picture down after a month or so, which defeats the long-term use of this site as a learning tool.

BTW, I already copied them and posted them here As jpg's, they were half the size

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #39
thegundude
User

Thanks Ed. I'm not sure how to post it to the thread, not having done that yet, but next go 'round I'll give it a look for... :-)

Aaron, that one is my 1939, 42 code. It seems okay to me, but I've only put one mag through it so far. I probably won't shoot it again.

The other one, the recently acquired 1920 DWM in .30, I haven't shot it yet. My thumb is still healing after a recently sustained cut.... A rather deep one I'm afraid. I'll have to wait a bit longer to see how it shoots, if at all....

~Steve
Unread 06-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #40
thegundude
User

Okay, I've shot the gun and it works great. Actually shoots dead on. I think this one might go to Thor soon.....

~Steve