LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 09-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #41
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

Explain the V-Block. If it has no suffix, how can we say what Block it is in?
Thanx
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to CAP Black for your post:
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #42
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Raymond,

Congratulations on a very nice Commercial Luger. It's condition and rarity contribute to it's value.

If you want to insure it, you can get some idea of retail pricing by looking at some online dealers. For example:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=179_180

There are over a dozen on there as I post this.

I think you'll see what a cheat the purchase offer at the gun show would have been.

I agree with John's advice about maintaining it. Do your best to document it well and enjoy it.

To Jack (Above) the Luger has the "v" suffix on the frame. It's not unusual to find that the suffix is not on the barrel below the serial number stamped there on Mauser Lugers.
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
stimg367
User

Hello, yes your right I had no intention of selling it, but that offer was almost insulting I don't know if he was considering a an alphabet luger from the 1920's or just trying to take advantage of someone. You said to document it, how so I so that, send it in or retain the info that John kindly gave me, which I much appreciate btw. Thank you for the website pricing, it is quit valuable.
stimg367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #44
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP Black View Post
Explain the V-Block. If it has no suffix, how can we say what Block it is in?
Thanx
Jack
Jack,

Your question which was answered below scratches the surface of a much larger issue.

Because any answer to that question would apply to a fraction of the V-block.

Simply put: There NO SINGLE DEFINITION/SPECIFICATION of a v-block Banner. That's why, I am sure I drove Raymond nuts asking questions and requesting photos. Only then could I isolate it and position it in the v-block universe.

The v-block Banners, numbering about 8700 guns were supplied Commercially, to the Police and to Foreign nations. Each of these series had their unique characteristics.

The v-block guns were delivered over the course of a decade from 1930 at DWM/BKIW in Berlin until 1940 at Mauser in Oberndorf. Processes and standards changed.

The v-block guns went through 15 distinct Collector Variations involving finish of main and small parts, serialization marking, several different proofing standards, and three designs of the Mauser Banner itself.. In addition to the 15 main variations there was an equal number of minor variations embedded in them.

I could go on.

But Bottom line: There is no single definition of TRUTH when it comes to the V-block.

So the fact that the barrel was marked with the serial number without suffix defines this specific gun which is late prodction in the 15th variation.

For other examples that correct answer could be no serial number or serial number plus suffix, or serial number plus barrel diameter, etc.

This is why our hobby so interesting. And made easier by people like Joop and Don who catalog these things and the hundreds of collectors who supply data, photographs and experience so our hobby can sustain itself over years.

As always, just my humble opinion. But thanks to them all.

John
guns3545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #45
stimg367
User

John if you would like any other photos or other info for cataloging purposes please let me know and I will provide them and again thank you very much.
stimg367 is offline   Reply With Quote