LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 07-13-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Mistymis
User

Default New to Luger

Hi, I am so honored to be accepted in this forum and I greet you all to have a good day.
In 1974 my brother purchased a Mauser Luger from his friend. Tested it was in a very good condition. Unfortunately we never knew the history behind it. Before my brother died 8 years ago he gave me the Luger. Since guns are a no no to me I kept it in a safe place and migrated to the USA. I am now back in the Philippines to dispose off our properties and supposedly the Luger. I offered it to a friend who refused because it has no serial numbers! My friend said a gun without serial numbers is considered a contraband and is illegal to keep. In my research I learned that Lugers are usually assigned with numbers. It was also during these researches that I came across this website. I also came upon a thread - Rare Luger in the Gun Rights Media Forum of November 7, 2010 where Member Keith123 posted "I have a Luger with no serial numbers. The only markings on the pistol are geladen and gesichert. The story told to me is that the O.S.S. made 100 during the war and all but 3 were destroyed. No stamping, numbers at all but the ones mentioned. Any ideas of how rare or the worth of this pistol, it is in amazing condition. Thanks". I believe the OSS story is far-fetched and if Keith123 is a member of this forum, I would be happy to hear from him.
The Luger Is dated 1937. There is a Mauser logo on the toggle and the no. 36. I think it is a Banner Commercial. Not all parts are numbered 36. However some parts have double numbers and strange letters, marks or symbols. It has 2 markings "Germany and Gesichert". It comes with an uncheckered plastic grip and color is grayish. The plastic grip is beautifully crafted. The barrel length is just a little bit over 3". Witness mark are of different shape. There is something written on the left side of the barrel that must have been erased. You will only notice it when the gun is positioned at a certain angle. Also the barrel band is very dull? I did not dismantled the whole gun because I am afraid I wont be able to put them back together so I can not send you pictures of all the parts. Can anybody help me figure out this gun? I honestly don't know anything about Lugers. None of my friends know anything about them nor do I know of any person who owns one in our community.
I have never realized how beautiful a Luger is - the configuration, parts curve from whole block of tempered steel, numerous parts that function like a well oiled machine, different variations etc,etc. No wonder a lot of people are collecting them. I believe Its worth keeping it and to be able to bring it in the US for refurbishing and restoration.
Attached are pictures.

Live your life alive...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	50244
Mistymis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
Mistymis
User

Default Pic from Mistymis

Attachment 50245
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	49
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	50247  

Unread 07-13-2015, 03:15 AM   #3
Mistymis
User

Attachment 50245

Why cant I upload more then one pic?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	38
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	50248  

Unread 07-13-2015, 03:20 AM   #4
Mistymis
User

Attachment 50245
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	33
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	50249  

Unread 07-13-2015, 04:05 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Felino.

You have come to the right place to get answers about your Luger.

In the pics, it appears refinished to me. The pistol has a soft, rounded presentation indicative of buffing. The overall dullness is the sign of its having been blasted by glass beads or other medium. Grey is also the wrong color! The grips look nice, but they are not original to the gun. The full serial number would ordinarily appear on the frame, below the barrel, and again at the base of the barrel. A gun destined for the military would display the last two digits of the serial number in obvious places on the outside surfaces of the parts. Commercial small parts were numbered similarly, but the numbers placed discreetly on the bottoms and back sides of the parts. The takedown lever is serialized in the military style, the side plate is not. This indicates that replacement of parts has occurred, in particular the takedown lever, if this started its life as a commercial. Its condition puts it into the shooter category, I'm afraid.

Barrels are measured overall, from muzzle to the face of the bolt. Yours is the standard 4"/ 100 mm length--there's just more of it screwed into the receiver/barrel extension that is not visible.

"Germany" stamp was required for export into the United States, and could have been applied at a later date than manufacture, I believe.

Restoration is something that would not be such a great investment. It might be coaxed into looking prettier, but it will never again be in original condition. And money spent getting t it that way would likely never be recouped. It would be like installing $4,000 tires and rims on a $600 car.

However, in my opinion, there is no such thing a a bad Luger, even if it's not collectible. I'd recommend keeping it just the way it is, as a remembrance to your late brother, if he enjoyed owning it, or passing it to another family member who might appreciate it as it is--and be able to legally possess it. It is very likely that it will shoot just fine, and would be an excellent starter gun for someone who wanted to understand their function and maintenance.

I hope this little bit of info has been helpful...and if I am mistaken in some aspect, we'll get help from some of the other members. I salute your newly-discovered appreciation for this gun, its beautiful design, its ergonomics, its quality of fit (ordinarily one would say "and finish" at this point but...) and workmanship. Luger history and development are immensely intriguing, as well. Enjoy your time here.
Unread 07-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Mistymis
User

Thanks ithacaartist for a wealth of information. I will keep it and try to bring it back to the US. It will give me a great time to tinker with it and research what those marks and symbols are all about.
All the best.
Mistymis
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

This gun originally had serial numbers. Without authenticated documentation that the proves the gun is a collectible historical firearm, the likelihood of you being able to import the gun in its current condition into the USA is virtually non-existent.

My recommendation to you would be to sell the gun where you are if it is legal to do so, and to buy a Luger once you finally come to the USA.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Lack of a serial number would/will be a problem to get it into the US.

If it were here it would already be a problem, and likely no one would buy it- as strictly speaking-
according to the BATFE it is illegal. Reason being that it had a serial number and it has been removed, which is a no no.

Please post a picture, good close up, of the front of the frame and side of the receiver, where the barrel screws in.

That would give more info.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
Mistymis
User

Thank you all for your response. Heres the pic. Why would one deface such a beautiful gun?! Serial numbers are guns identity and as such are embedded deep. Would it not take a lot of steel to remove it and even up the surface? Even the barrel does not have one.
Thanks too for the suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	31
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	50276  

Unread 07-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Mistymis
User

Here is a clearer pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	27
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	50277  

Unread 07-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The serial number has been removed from the frame, leaving only the letter suffix, ("v or u")?

The barrel looks like a commercial replacement, which never had any markings to begin with.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Boss, na pistol ay nasa masamang hugis. hindi katumbas ng halaga nagse-save.
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #13
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugersrkewl View Post
Boss, na pistol ay nasa masamang hugis. hindi katumbas ng halaga nagse-save.
Translated means???
Unread 07-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #14
Mistymis
User

Thanks all for your feedbacks.
Translation: "Boss, your gun is not in good shape. Not worth keeping it".
The following member says Thank You to Mistymis for your post:
Unread 07-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #15
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistymis View Post
Thanks all for your feedbacks.
Translation: "Boss, your gun is not in good shape. Not worth keeping it".
Tru' Dat!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #16
Mistymis
User

According to ithacaartist "Barrels are measured overall, from muzzle to the face of the bolt. Yours is the standard 4"/ 100 mm length--there's just more of it screwed into the receiver/barrel extension that is not visible."
Again I remeasured repeatedly the length of the barrel and still the exact length is 3.12" or 80mm. I respectfully disagree with the above quoted observation because of the stopper of the barrel and also the witness mark is almost aligned. Did they allow this minimal deviation from the standard length? Or since this is a replacement could this be a rejected part they decided to use? Could it be why there is no number in the barrel? After all it is said that Mauser made use of all available parts.
Unread 07-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #17
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Looking at the side view of the gun, the barrel appears to be normal length, and I'd think that 20% shorter than normal would be pretty obvious. Remember to measure the distance from the bolt face to the muzzle, not just from the flange forward.
If you are certain that you are doing it correctly, then snap a photo or 3 with the ruler in place showing length.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #18
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

The easy way is to insert a dowel, pencil, or bamboo skewer into the barrel (action closed!) until it stops. then measure the result. I think there is confusion between the" face of the bolt" and the front of the receiver/barrel extension. I will be very surprised if it is non-standard length.
Unread 07-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #19
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

With all of the serial numbers removed, one would have to consider that perhaps it was once stolen, and modified so as to not be recovered.....just a thought.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #20
Mistymis
User

Thank you all for your response. Hahaha David is right!! I was doing it all wrong and the pencil method of David proved it. Now here is another thing about the barrel - an erased word on the left side. Can't make out what it says.
Attached Images