LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-08-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Sid Gariss

Default Serial number suffix questions

Hi everyone,

Here is another "newbie" question for everyone. I figure this may help all of us newbies. I was wondering about the letter used as a suffix for the serial numbers on Lugers. It is my understanding that the manufacturers used the letter suffix so that the serial number could be used again as production continued. Also that not all letters of the alphabet were used for every model of Luger produced. Now my question is whether or not any letters that were used are less common than others and what letters would you say are the least common. Also, does this affect the collectablity of a Luger? Does it matter whether the Luger was given an "a" as compared to a "z" in relation to its collectablity? Another question, Were the letters ever combined or just used one at a time? Thanks in advance to any and all responses to these questions.

Sid.

Unread 11-08-2001, 03:14 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: Serial number suffix questions

Sid, I am sure you will get more detailed answers than these, however, my readings the serial number prefix is simply a continuation of the serial numbers. (This is miltary system)

For instance, in 1935, as they made the 1st Mauser Luger for the year, the true serial number of a Luger is, Mauser, 1935, 1. Mine was made in 1935, and would be Mauser, 1935, 7480 u.

So at the beginning of the year, it would be Mauser, 1935 (serial number) 1. And down through the numbers until it reached 9999, then it would be 1 a. Then through 9999 a, then 1 b and so on.

On Contract, the numbering system would simply be a continuation of the last numbers for that contract. I.E. Dutch 1, then serial number 2, and up to the contract of 5,000. Two years later, they request 2,000 more, the numbering system would start off at 5001 until it reached the 2,000 they ordered that time.

Commercial is pretty much a continuation, but I believe you will find wide varience on commercial numbering.

I would imagine there is a huge amount of numbers and remember, that DWM might have a DWM, 1935, 7480 u. (If they had made Lugers in 1935). In other words, there are mixtures of many numbers. If I was a collector, I would want a serial number of 1001 a compared to 1001 u, but with the variables of condition (condition), condition, , I think it matters but to each type of collector. Someone born in 1935 might want one and consider it more valuable than a 1940. or as the war progressed quality might be considered to have gone down...

All in the eye of the beholder and in significant events. I would like to get a 1936, because the Olympics were that year in Berlin.

Ed

Unread 11-08-2001, 07:48 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

DWM numbered the military Lugers using the letter suffix, but started over at the beginning of each year. Mauser did not do this when it started military production in 1934. The 1934 or K date started with ns and went only into the early a block. The 1935 or G date then picked up in the early a block and went to the f block. (66, check your 1935 as it should not be in the u block.) Mauser production then proceeded through the alphabet and during the 1937 production year reached the end of the alphabet and started over with ns and then a.

The letter j was supposedly not used due to looking almost identical to the letter i. There are reports of Lugers with the letter suffix j, but are generally thought not to exist.

The commercial pistols were serial numbered in their own serial number range with no break in serial numbers right up into the high 90,000 range. The 1920 and 1921 dated commercials then used the letter suffix with both the 1920 and 1921 pistols starting with ns, a, and b suffix. Apparently DWM rethought the dating of the receivers and moved to the i suffix block to begin new production. The commercial pistols in the 90,000 range were nearing a 6 digit serial number which DWM apparently wanted to avoid. DWM stopped dating their receivers and moved to the i suffix as this would have been the letter being used had the commercial pistols used the military style of serial number/suffix numbering system. The pistols were in the 90,000 range or what would have been the 9th block and i is the 9th letter of the alphabet.

As to whether any additional value can be given to a serial number, it comes down to personal preference. Everyone likes a low serial number, but 9999a is a lower serial number than 9b. 9b just has fewer digits. In the case of the early commercials, a low serial number is actually the order in which that pistol was produced.

Please be advised that some of the above is my opinion based on some of the best information available, and until proof otherwise is documented it will remain my opinion on the subject.

Unread 11-08-2001, 08:13 PM   #4
66mustang

Will do, I was going off of a proofing marking and the book said it was 1935, but since its a shooter, I was more curious than really serous, but will research it a bit more!

Thanks,

ed

Unread 11-09-2001, 09:17 AM   #5
Sid Gariss

Great responses guys. Thanks for the all the info that you have shared. This is a great forum and I am glad Thor hooked me up with everyone here. I have learned a lot and am still learning something new every day. I sure do appreciate it. Thanks.

Sid.

p.s. If I am slow to respond it is because I do not have a computer at home and have to rely on my computer here at work to read the posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Sid.

Unread 11-09-2001, 11:06 AM   #6
66mustang

I had an off line with Johnny (THANKS) and my Luger is a 1937 Mauser, and yes this forum takes up more time than it should. I.E., I should be working right now too!

Anyway, it is nice to have people help each other, I try and they have helped me numerous times since I joined.

T H A N K S

ED