LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
bigdinla
New User

Default My first Luger!

I have found a Luger pistol marked Erfurt on the toggle. It is chambered for 9mm and has a 4" barrel. The serial number is 1194 on the front of the trigger guard. The 94 repeats on the rear of the toggle, the top of what I believe is the extractor, the takedown lever, on the back link of the toggle under the rear sight, and on other parts of the action. The date 1940 is stamped on the top of the breech/action, ahead of the ejection port. The clip has a plastic base and is marked MADE IN GERMANY on the back side near the bottom. There is a very small 2 on the left side of the toggle near the center. There are two small stampings on the top that are too small for me to make out. The bluing is very good and the grips are in excellent condition. Can anyone tell me anything of the origins or other facts about my gun? Thanks! You can also reach me at bigdinla1@msn.com.
bigdinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,079 Posts

Yes

welcome to the forum, although its kind of nice to have a name instead of an email

Without pictures, I can say that Erfurt was no longer around after 1918 and so the toggle does not belong to the receiver (dated 1940).

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
bigdinla
New User

It appears my gun is either an arsenal rework or a put together piece using an Urfurt lower assembly and a WWII era upper assembly/barrel etc. Nice old shooter though and I'm really happy to finally own a Luger. Thanks for your reply!
bigdinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Hugo Borchardt
User

Welcome and congratulations. Would love to see a photo!

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
CO-08
New User

Congrats on your first Luger! I remember how excited I was when I acquired my first one, then some lowlife stole it from my house years ago so now I'm shopping for my second Luger and this forum is a great help. Oh, before someone else tells you, that thingee that holds the bullets is a magazine, not a clip. Seriously, you can call it whatever you want but much ado on several gun forums has been stirred up about this topic.
CO-08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erfurt, identification