LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 12-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
JohnFalc
User

Question Sharing & Questions - Family Luger

Just sharing some pictures of the Artillery Luger my grandfather brought back from Europe at the end of the Great War. He was brought down by machine gun fire while leading his platoon on an assault in the Meuse-Argonne with the 91st Division so I don't know if he picked this up before or after his hospitalization. Fun side note is that I was in the same 91st Division as an artillery officer some 50 years later.

It has always been in our family and I remember shooting it in the 1950's as a youngster. I have had it out only a few times in the last decade, taking it to a range near our home to let my son and close friends shoot it.

I would appreciate any comments, especially regarding the markings on it, that may let me know a bit more of its history. I also would like to hear opinions as to whether we should continue to get it out every couple of years to shoot it and how we should best preserve it (I do clean it and lube it but from the pictures I see some traces of rust so I must not be doing as good a job as I thought).

BTW - the numbers on all parts match, including the number on one of the magazines.

Thanks for any comments. John

ADMIN: These pictures were over 6 mb's each, pleasae do not do that; some of our members are still on dial up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L0003.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	3792  

Name:	L0006.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	3793  

Name:	L0004.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	3794  

Name:	L0002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	3795  

JohnFalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
JohnFalc
User

Sorry about the large pictures - henceforth I'll post links or reduce the size. John
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

John
Looks like a very nice Artillery! The holster and stock look very nice also. Does the stock have a number and proof anywhere? The proof marks you have on the right receiver are standard ww1 proofs. I recommend you field strip this and lubricate all the metal with a good gun solvent or oil. Do this a couple times a year. Clean and lubricate the barrel. Do not store the luger in the holster. I recommend that you do not shoot this,especially if all the parts match. It is to much risk to break a correct marked part. It does not need to be shot, just kept clean and protected. Suggest you write up what you know about your Grandfather obtaining this and keep the write up in the holster. A truly great family treasue and of a quality we all would like to own. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. Bill
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFalc View Post
Sorry about the large pictures - henceforth I'll post links or reduce the size. John
John, welcome to the forum! I am sorry for the abrupt un-welcome, but the pictures made my eyes bleed they were so large

Nice artillery rig!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Imperial Arms
Banned

Nice LP-08 rig, especially the condition of the holster. I recommend that you do NOT shoot this rig to order to perserve its value and cherish it.

All the best,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
JohnFalc
User

Thanks for the feedback fellows.

The stock does have a number stamped on the piece of steel that serves as rails to connect to the pistol. The number is 5155, and below the number is stamped something looking a bit like a cross between a lowercase "L" and a lowercase "B". Additionally, under the four screws that secure the leather holster latch strap, there is some mark stamped into the wood of the stock, this looks somewhat like a side view of a knight from a chess set.

The leather of the holster/stock is all complete and supple but dry - any advice on preserving it? I do have, in pockets of the holster, a cleaning rod, and an oddly shaped little tool as well.

I am disappointed at the advice not to shoot the pistol - I'll take that to heart but don't think I can resist going out to the range one more time. I shot about 50 rounds about six months ago and she worked really great.

John
Unread 12-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,197 Posts

John,

The gun is rust blued which is, as the name suggests, a rust process to begin with. So under bright light it's normal to see some rust under the blue. It's a good sign, it's original and supposed to be this way. The pistol is in a really nice condition and although they can take a beating the loss of value when you accidentally break a small part during shooting can make your eyes water.

The solution, of course, is to pamper this one and look out for a shooter grade artillery

The oddly shaped tool is a screwdriver/loading tool. The tool can be slipped over the magazine button, creating a thumb rest that makes loading the mag a lot easier. The 'knight' is most likely a large Crown/S acceptance mark. It's supposed to be there, so that's good.

About the leather: Talk to our leather guru 'lugerholsterrepair'. The best advice is not to use any commercial leather care or cleaning products at all. Connolly's 'Hide food' is one of the exceptions.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
BobF
New User

I have a 1921 model w/serial # 962,all the rest is 62 w/a non matching clip w/the holster.Nice to see the real old ones.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
Sieger
User

Default Shooting

Quote:
I am disappointed at the advice not to shoot the pistol - I'll take that to heart but don't think I can resist going out to the range one more time. I shot about 50 rounds about six months ago and she worked really great.

John

John:

If it were mine, I'd put a thousand rounds a week through it!!

Be that as it may, if you are not familier with reloading for a Luger or just what commercial ammo is a close approximation to the original German load, I'd take the other responder's advice and just keep it well cleaned and oiled.

After cleaning the bore and all metal surfaces with your favorite bore cleaner and a few soft cotton patches (to remove surface oxidation) I'd whip it down with some Breakfree CLP about every few months or so. Salty fingerprints will cause rust, so remember to whip it down after each examination. In the photos, the pistol does look very "dry".

Just how did your grandfather end up in the 91st in 1968?

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Even with reloads, or mild rounds, if you break a numbered part, value drops about in half. Yes, it is rare, but there are more than one story here on the forum of it happening.

I myself blew the breachblock on a long barrel luger about 4 months ago. It was a shooter, so I just lost the value of a breachblock; but your artillery could go from being worth $1800 (by itself) to $1000....

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 12-20-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
Sieger
User

Default Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Even with reloads, or mild rounds, if you break a numbered part, value drops about in half. Yes, it is rare, but there are more than one story here on the forum of it happening.

I myself blew the breachblock on a long barrel luger about 4 months ago. It was a shooter, so I just lost the value of a breachblock; but your artillery could go from being worth $1800 (by itself) to $1000....

Ed
Ed:

His rig is worth about three to four thousand!

How in the world did you blow a breachblock? What were you shooting through it? How was it "blown".

Sieger
Unread 12-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Sieger, you are going down the right path, I was being stupid, surely at Christmas you don't want me to admit it in an open forum?

ed
Unread 12-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
JohnFalc
User

Re the question of my grandfather and the 91st.

He was in the 91st in WWI - was inducted out of ROTC and started training at Ft. Lewis in Washington. He wrote extensively of his wartime and training experiences (he was a lawyer) and I have all those hundreds of pages of details.

So ... he was NOT in the 91st in 1968. I am the one who was - just coincidentally I took a joint USA + CalNG commission at Ft. Sill (USA artillery school) after being trained first as a forward observer for artillery. I enlisted on Dec. 7, 1965 - got out after six years of mostly inactive duty. My unit was an artillery battalion using the motorized 175mm gun (yes, gun, not howitzer - we had HIGH muzzle velocity). So that's that.
Unread 12-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

John F, Good advise above. One source of rust that is often over looked is the grips which attact moisture. I'd also store them in the holster and make sure any rust that is starting on the frame under the grips, is wire brushed away and well oiled to prevent further rusting. If the serial number on your stock iron, matches the serial of the LPO8, this will also add to the value of the rig. TH
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Sieger
User

Default History

Quote:
Re the question of my grandfather and the 91st.

He was in the 91st in WWI - was inducted out of ROTC and started training at Ft. Lewis in Washington. He wrote extensively of his wartime and training experiences (he was a lawyer) and I have all those hundreds of pages of details.
Hi:

I'm sorry, but the value of your Luger Rig has just gone up again!!

What you have just told us is priceless!; a battlefield Luger with an accompanying full history of the U.S. Officer that captured it!! What you have is of great Historical signifigance, so treat it accordingly!!

In my opinion, you have just doubled the collector value of this fine Luger Rig!

Sieger
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
Sieger
User

Default Broken Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Sieger, you are going down the right path, I was being stupid, surely at Christmas you don't want me to admit it in an open forum?

ed
Hi:

You are not off base with your warnings!

I want you to know that I, personally, cracked the slide of a byf 43 P-38 by shooting some hot Gun Show reloaded 9mm my Dad, unknowingly, purchased in Florida.

Later, I read that the 1943 Mauser production was known for cracked slides. Acutally, it was an error in design, as it cracked where the locking block engages the slide (thin metal here).

Our new Army Berretta uses this same locking system as the P-38 and is also known for cracked slides.

The ammo they are shooting through these new pistols (125 gr @ approx. 1260 fps) is some 20% stronger than the original 9MM Luger load (123 gr @ 1076 FPS) so watch out for surplus U.S. military ammo through a Luger!!

Sieger
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
Imperial Arms
Banned

Quote:

The leather of the holster/stock is all complete and supple but dry - any advice on preserving it? I do have, in pockets of the holster, a cleaning rod, and an oddly shaped little tool as well.

John
Hello John,

The simplest way to perserve the leather is to clean it with (Kiwi) Saddle Soap. I use a horse hair polish application brush to apply the saddle soap to the leather and a sponge to remove the excess lather. When the leather is dry after the cleaning, just buff it up with a shoe shine brush and a soft cloth. After wards, cherish the rig as a family heirloom.

Cheers,
Albert
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Imperial Arms
Banned

It is interesting to observe that one of the magazines has a blued body. Is this the magazine with the same serial number as the pistol?

Albert
Unread 12-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #19
JohnFalc
User

Fun to think of the value but, being a family piece I really would never sell it and see my care of it as just a responsibility of trust and to keep it for passing along (probably to my son). I never thought of tying my grandfather's extensive diaries from WWI to the Luger - they really stand as treasures on their own.
Unread 12-21-2008, 03:11 AM   #20
JohnFalc
User

The magazine with the number that matches the rest of the pistol is the one all the way to the right, closest to the handgrip. I didn't note much about the other two except that they are of different metal finish and that both have the wooden little handle at the base. One of those (not the matching numbered one) has one of the round pieces partially broken off.