LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Default Battle of the Bulge - DVD...

We have discussed this before, but I thought it needed an update. They finally got around to releasing the "Battle of the Bulge" in a proper form on DVD. I've been hoping that they would release it with the deleted scenes that are missing from previous releases. Most releases are 136 to 144 minutes long. The actual movie came out at 168 minutes!!! I bought one DVD that said 156 minutes on the jacket, but was actually 144 minutes. This release says 170 minutes, but that includes a few extras. The actual running time is 152 minutes. Watching this movie on "The History Channel" is a crime. They only show about 84 minutes of the movie. One thing to watch is the interview with the producer. He claims the tanks are authentic, just like the ones that fought in the battle. It appears that none of the tanks are from the time of the battle. Kind of strange he would say that in front of a camera, but he must of believed it! Someday I would like to see the whole thing. Still a good movie, even with the technical errors...
Unread 10-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Johnny, that is the one with Henry Fonda?

It is a really good movie.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #3
G.W. Gill
User

My favorite part is where they sing and stomp thier feet. Next favorite is where the Corp Comdr's Aid quits him and joins the Infantry and walks back to Germany and home.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Walt NW
User

Good movie, but pure BS story line. In fact, the old black and white movie with Van Johnson is a much better representation of the actual battle and the sequences from "Bank of Brothers" are superb. Unfortunately, having a senior moment trying to remember the name of the old movie. Do agree that the scene of the singing , stomping troopers is worth the price of the DVD however. The "Panzer Lied" theme music is truely memorable.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Herb
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
The song was Panzerleid and the German Colonel, Col Martin Hessler, was played by Robert Shaw. A truly memorable part of the movie, enjoy again-

http://ingeb.org/Lieder/obssturm.html Click on the MP3 that says Battle of the Bulge and wait for it to load

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/ww...e/bulge-19.jpg
Walt, I believe you are thinking of the movie Battleground where Van Johnson played PFC Holley in and around Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. Lots of snow in that one.
Unread 10-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Yes, this is the movie with Henry Fonda. I realize there are technical problems with the movie, i also realize that trying to get as much of the battle compressed into just over two and a half hours puts a strain on the story. The director was trying to get as much of the story as he could into the movie. I believe he gave only a small part to Bastogne because it had been covered in a movie like Battleground. So I sit back and enjoy it even with the errors. I can imagine the tanks are King Tigers going up against Sherman tanks. I'll bet that was scary...
Unread 10-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
pipeman45
User

Quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley
Re the comment that the tanks are authentic, I would like to point out that there are only TWO Tigers in the world that are in running condition.
tac
I hate to disagree with you sir,but. While stationed at Fort Knox in the early 70's I had the great misfortune of being under the command of General George S. Patton jr. My motor pool spent almost 1 full year and God only knows how much money getting a Tiger back in running order for the Patton Museum. Parts were sent to us from all over the globe. I have no idea what happened to it as I was sent to the land of the beer gardens before it was complete.
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

David, that nut case was Division Commander of the 1stAD when I was in it in the early70s. I spent a day at the Patton Museum when I was at Knox in '69 and loved the captured armor. Not only Tigers and a Panther but Mark III's and also a Hetzer as I recall.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Ron Smith
User

The tanks used in the movie were M47 Pattons( introduced in1952) and M24 Chaffees. The M47s were used as German Tigers in the movie.Or could ,in a pinch, roughly ressemble a German Mark IV, which was the most commonly encountered German tank along with the Mark V Panther. These were often referred to as "Tigers" by GIs who had never actually seen a true Tiger I. The Tiger II "King"or "Royal" Tiger was a beast, and couldn't be mistaken for anything else.

The M24s were introduced late in 1944. And were light recon tanks, not main line battle tanks. These would never have been used against Tigers. An 88 would penetrate a Chaffee end to end. With nothing but dust left in between.

The Tigers used in "Saving Private Ryan" and" Band of Brothers" were repros built on Russian T-55 chassis'. The Tank Destroyers were built on British / Canadian APC chassis'.

The most accurate depiction of authentic tanks are in "Kelly's Heros". Late variation Sherman Fireflies and the same repro T-55 / Tigers that were used in the other two movies. Also the White half-track with the 105 howitzer mounted.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
pipeman45
User

Quote:
Originally posted by George Anderson
David, that nut case was Division Commander of the 1stAD when I was in it in the early70s. I spent a day at the Patton Museum when I was at Knox in '69 and loved the captured armor. Not only Tigers and a Panther but Mark III's and also a Hetzer as I recall.
I was in the 194th Armor at Knox when it was moved to Texas. We didn't go anywhere,we were just put under command of the Armor School. The worst of it was Patton. Then when I was sent to Germany I was Also under his command in the 3rd Armor. The stories I could tell on that nut!!!
Unread 10-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
Curly1
User

Quote:
Originally posted by pipeman45
The worst of it was Patton. Then when I was sent to Germany I was Also under his command in the 3rd Armor. The stories I could tell on that nut!!!
Plez share pretty plez?

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

We were at Grafenwoehr shooting up tax payer money and having a large time. Patton was the division commander. All our medics were heavy pot smokers and usually slept in their M113's never to be seen by any of us. The medic on the range that day was a particularly loathsome individual, unshaved and asleep in his track.

About mid afternoon up drives the reincarnation himself in his jeep chauffered by some starched-up ass-suck "acting jack". Well Patton cuts his finger and sends his driver to get him a bandaid. The driver bangs on the back door of the PC and eventually arouses the medic. Bleary-eyed, the medic asks what the blank the guy wants. The driver's response..."I need a bandaid for General Patton". The moron medic replies that "...if Patton wants a bandaide tell him that Joe Monroe from Kokomo says to come and get it himself". He then slams the door on the "bandaid box" and goes back into a daze.

There was a particularly ugly "dry-shave" session that afternoon topped off with a heavey article-15. Our CO got an ass chewing for not maintaining discipline and decorum and we all had a good time.
Unread 10-19-2005, 02:07 AM   #13
pipeman45
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Curly1
Plez share pretty plez?
You ask for it. That nut would ride around in a jeep in all weather with top down and windshield folded. I've seen him demote and promote people on the spot for minor things. I once had to level my rifle on him for trying to inter the back gate after hours, a no no without the ok from the post commander. I was on guard duty and that was one of the few post you got live ammo. He ordered me to open the gate and I refused. He got out of the jeep and said he would open it himself. I told him I would have to shoot him if he did. He had me call the sargent of the guard who rushed out and couldn't let him enter the post fast enough. I warned him not to! Patton put him in his jeep and we didn't see him for 3 days.and he also lost a stripe for breaking orders.

If you buy me a few cold ones I can tell you a lot more about this man.
Unread 10-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #14
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tac, were talking about Junior not Big George.
Unread 10-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #15
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

since when is Brits foreigners? we all talk 'merican.