LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
conehammer
User

Default Whatever happened to...

I realize this is an old subject and apologies in advance if it has already been covered elsewhere. I have wondered if there have been any attempts to rescue the Mauser 1896 forum ( although this seems unlikely based of its current state) and what became of its creator - who we knew as Nemo? It just seems sad that such a good site should slip away.

I believe the last time I looked into the site's vitals it was set to expire early in 2010.

Jerry
conehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
alvin
User

I have not visited there for a while.

The gun is popular in a few Chinese language gun chatting rooms. But most gun lovers over there have no oppertunity touching any gun, so all concepts are mixed together. And worse, lots of people's interest is not on the gun itself, instead they were more excited on movie scenes or fiction stories of killing Japanese by this iconic weapon. Or, how to rebore it, redman, etc. That's about it. Nothing new year after year. No progress either, obviously a dead end.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
conehammer
User

I'm sorry let me restate the question. Has anyone heard any current information about Nemo or the sites he maintained.

Jerry
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
alvin
User

Sorry, I missed the original question. I have not figured out yet, don't know other's status. Obviously, you did not know either. Doug's in Brazil, Vlim's in Netherland, and Russian bothrers are in Russia, far far away, I doubt they can figure out.

But, if you know any info, please post. Or, tell me how to proceed, I will evaluate the executability.... if possible, to persuade him
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
conehammer
User

I still must not be making myself clear, I will restate again.

Does anyone have any current information about Nemo or the sites he maintained. Of particular interest is the Mauser 1896 website.

From the response up to this point I am going to assume no is the appropriate answer.

Jerry
Unread 01-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,918 Times in 1,192 Posts

Jerry,

Nemo pulled a disappearing act somehow. We have his latest know address and email, but no response sofar. The website's forum has been overrun by spammers so it is completely useless now. I expect that the site itself will disappear when the contract expires. I did make a full copy of the website itself, just in case. Can't do anything about the forum as you need some administrator rights, which none of the old posters have.

I will PM you with his contact info, perhaps you can contact him by other means.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
saab-bob
User

Hello Jerry
Sorry no info for you on the C96 site.
I do miss the forum, lots of great info.
Have you checked with Kylie, who runs the C96 Yahoo forum?
Bob
Unread 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,918 Times in 1,192 Posts

What we can try to do is search the 1896 forum threads and copy as much info as we can to a new 'collective thread' on one of the luger forums. It's not ideal, but better than nothing.

I am currently restoring a backup of the main site to one of my own hosts, just in case.

Update: A copy of the site (sans forum, alas) is up and running and can be found at:

http://www.vlimmere.demon.nl/index.htm

Needless to say, if or when Nemo reappears the copy will be removed. The domain of the master site is set to expire in April, 2010.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
conehammer
User

Thanks gentlemen. I was afraid of that. The disappearing act I mean. I had looked up the site owner information myself when the site first was over run by scoundrels months ago and also saw the domain ownership was to expire in 2010. I tried sending an email to the id that was part of the contact information but never received a response.

I don't know the actual person who was/is Nemo but he struck me as not the sort of person who would just walk away; at least not without handing off the site to someone else or some farewell message. Like many I hope he is still among us.

I also saved much of the site's static content however not the discussion threads.

Anyway thanks for the update. I'll bump this thread from time to time to see if any news surfaces.

While I enjoy Lugers, I have but three, my main emphasis was the Broomhandle so that for Mauser site to fall into disuse was
a loss. I do visit the Yahoo C96 site once in a while but the majority of the threads there had been of little interest..

Jerry

Last edited by conehammer; 01-01-2010 at 08:09 PM.