LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-05-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Stevie
User

Post THE MIGHTY BLUE JACKET No.1!

I tell you what ladies and gentlemen, you can keep the bad guys off you all day long with one of these babies!!! Just kidding, but you might make them hop around a little bit. This is a typical little birdshead gripped, spur trigger, 7shot .22 short revolver. The veneriable "suicide special". Probably dates from the 1870's or early 1880's. I showed this to a friend, and he told me that this particular model was manufactured by the same company that built the Merwin&Hulbert revolvers. So who built Merwin&Hulbert pistols?

Thanx, Stevie.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2004, 06:30 AM   #2
John -Melb
User

Merwin and Hulbert produced them.....
They were one of a range of smaller companies producing revolvers about this time, others included "Hopkins and Allen", "Forehand and Wadsworth" and "Harrington and Richardson". Most of these companies produced both the "suicide specials" as well as larger holster or belt pistols at various or the same times.

My references state the "Blue Jacket" was made by "Hopkins and Allen" and that they retailed in 1880 for about $2.50.

On top of this you've got the various British made revolvers, (Tranter, Adams, Webley) plus the various copies of American and British made guns turned out in places like Belgium and Spain.

Don't believe what you see in the pictures my friend, not everyone carried a Colt Peacemaker.
John -Melb is offline   Reply With Quote