LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 09-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
P. J. Heck
User

Default Unit markings, 1915 & blank toggle.

Cant ever remember posting these for those of you who keep track of such.......Very shabby 1915 bought from individual in church parking lot w/nice 1938 holster and tool w/same grip strap marking, 'T. 142.' and this one may have been on before but here goes again, (also looking for holster for it), 'L. F. 249.'.
Unread 09-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

P.J.,

Could you provide more info on both guns: s/n w/ suffix, sear/mag safeties, toggle logo?

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
P. J. Heck
User

1915 gun DWM w/sear safety #8620, no suffix, barrel w/Simson eagle, small #4, bore measurement, cut for mag safety., grip strap 'T.142.'. Blank toggle, no date, #6183 t, sear safety, no mag safety cut, barrel crown n and #6183 t, no bore meas., WaAA under eagle receiver proof, grip strap 'L. F. 249.'. I think I asked about this marking some time ago and Ron from west coast told me it was Frankfort police?????? Just looked at another 1915 DWM w/sear safe. Need DWM side plate and take down #87 for it?????
Unread 09-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

P.J.,

Ron was correct about the L.F. mark. It is for the Landj�¤gerei (rural constabulary) of the Prussian governmental district of Frankfurt am Oder. I can't positively identify the T. mark but wonder if it may represent the district of Trier. If so, it should have either an S. or L. in front of it. Any sign of an earlier mark being x'd out or ground off? Could you possibly post a photo of this mark?

Also, on the L.F. marked gun, I'm surprised there was no mag safety. Is it possible the cut was filled in? Is there a hole bored above the trigger and/or a notch in the upper left corner of the left grip?

You may find my article on Landj�¤gerei unit marks of interest: http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...threadid=11898

Unread 09-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
P. J. Heck
User

I have just learned how to post pictures and am still a bit shakey. The blank top has no indication of ever having a mag. safety. I will try to ad picture of 1915 to the original post. If that doesnt work, send me your email so I can use my 'reply' button to attach photo............

Unread 09-23-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

P.J.,

Thanks for the photo. It looks to me like there is a stray period to the left of the T. Do you agree?

It is very speculative but this mark may represent the Trier district. Trier is in the Rheinland and was within the demilitarized zone established by the Treaty of Versailles. Police functions during the early 1920s were not under the Prussian Ministry of Interior. The 1922 Schupo marking orders do not mention Trier. Possibly, this gun belonged to the equivalent of the Schupo but was not so marked. I doubt seriously that it was a Landj�¤gerei weapon because they did not start marking weapons until 1929 or later and they were very thorough and uniform in their markings. I don't think they would "forget" the L.

Unread 09-24-2005, 08:44 AM   #7
P. J. Heck
User

I saw that mark but it is just another pit. I think it shows in the photo more than on the gun. There is no sign that anything was removed or poorly stamped. I can send the gun to you if you want............
Unread 09-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

P.J.,

I don't think sending me the gun will add any new information. My guess above is the best I can do. If this mark is really from Trier, it is a very rare one. I have seen only one other and heard of perhaps one or two more.

Unread 09-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
P. J. Heck
User

Just got another oddity (maybe?????) 1915 DWM w/relieved sear bar but no renumber, no sear safe or unit mark, police style marked mag.and 1937 holster/tool from local .... Erfurt side plate. Need DWM side plate and take down lever #87.......