LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-19-2001, 09:55 PM   #1
Doug Wozny

Default What Has Happen To Quality

Maybe it is because I am a quality engineer or do other people also notice that you pay your hard earned money for things and get really poor quality products. I have been looking for some replacement grips for one of my Lugers. I have try Gun Parts, SARCO and C. M. R. International. Every time I get grips that don't even come close to fitting. Now I realize that some fitting may be required but when the grips are too small you can not ADD wood to them. Making grips is not rocket sceince and it isn't like the engineering drawings for the grips are locked up in the KGB vaults in Moscow. All you have to do is get a copy of Masstafeln zur Pistole 08 from Joachim Gortz. I recently got a reproduction artillery shoulder stock and holster set. The stock would not fit on my artillery Luger, the magazines went into the spare magazine pouch only by using extreme force and had to be removed using pliers (luckly I used new manufactured magazines) and the flap could not be secured with the magazines in the pouch. I also order a replica 1900 U.S. Test Luger holster from a holster maker in El Paso, Texas. Again good money bad product. The drawing for this holster is in Meadow's book entitled "U.S. Military Holsters and Pistol Cartridge Boxes" page 243. Doesn't anyone do any research anymore? Oh well, I guess nothing will change. I spent most of my time at work trying to get vendors to do the job right so why would it be different for Luger parts and accessories. I feel a little better now but I see no end to my search for REAL quality Luger replacement parts and accessories. I guess no one care. And when the Luger was being built they did care.

The Wizard

Unread 03-19-2001, 10:04 PM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: What Has Happen To Quality

Doug;

Get a pair of Nill Griffe grips, they fit perfectly and look like originals, but are pricey!

www.nill-griffe.com

Unread 03-19-2001, 10:27 PM   #3
mac

Many folks associated with arms collecting seem to be weak business people and worse manufacturers. They are not familiar with modern manufacturing or business techniques. Some of the folks on this list show how the good quality and accuracy not provided by the high volume sellers can be accomplished in a small business. See what GT puts out for mag bottoms, eg. Amazing quality. On the other hand, the familiar sellers of luger repro stocks and holsters offer bad imitations made of poor quality material in the wrong way. In plastic modeling, this has spawned many small businesses that make replacement parts for those that come in model kits. Some small business people are beginning to do this for lugers. I hope it continues.

Unread 03-19-2001, 10:31 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts

Hi Doug! You definitly belong to this forum, because your frustration is felt by many who frequent this forum, if not by all! The lack of quality is not a reflection on the people or the times, it is simply a matter of economics and demand. People who take on a quest to make an accurate NEW production part for a Luger have come to the same conclusion I have reached.....to get the same quality part as the original, you have to do it the EXACT same way as they did 50 or 100 years ago. To make matters worse, when your 95% finished, it means you have just started! Because the real work is in the last 5%! If you have doubts, just ask Ted, or Hugh, or any one who has paid this relatively high price to aquire a lost art.....To further complicate matters, new computer(cad / cam) technology is prohibitivly expensive, and getting one of these guys to look your way takes a few buckets of up front cash! I can assure you that as I write this note, there are people who are working there way toward fullfilling some of these quests, hopefully the real world won't beat them down before they are sucessful! Your pain is felt by all, that is the real reason the Luger is so unique! Great post Doug! I hope there is some feedback on this one... till...later...G.T.

Unread 03-19-2001, 10:53 PM   #5
Rick K
User

This is why we love German engineering. When I was growing up, (1950's to 1960's)my father worked at the Navy Base in Panama City, Florida. The work done at the base was in the area of research and development of mines, and torpedos. There were a number of "captured" German scientists and engineers who worked there. There was one German fellow who worked there that had acquired an American car, I don't remember exactly what it was. This guy had tooled and engraved the visible parts of the engine into a work of art. An American friend recommended to him that he should use STP in his engine. This fellow bought some STP and subjected the product to extensive tests. He finished by publishing a detailed, technical report on the experiment and concluded that STP was indeed a worthwhile product that was beneficial to the operation of automotive engines. There are not many people left who would just do this as a matter of course!

Unread 03-19-2001, 11:34 PM   #6
Ted
User

I second what Hugh said, I bought a pair and they arrived today (second pair I have bought, they are a little oversized) to the good! They are very nice and fit right! but as Hugh said a little pricey! Ted

Unread 03-20-2001, 11:15 AM   #7
Dok
RIP

One of the things we here at the Luger Forum are trying to do, is to find good craftsmen and/or services and through personal recommendation provide a vehicle for members to get their needs met, and where value will match quality. All of the folks in our Links & Resources provide a worthwhile service to our members (or they wouldn't be there) many provide help and support above and beyond their service, and hence are deemed by us "Preferred Vendors" check them out.