LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 08-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
JamesCollier
New User

Default Banner Mauser Rebarrel

Last year I bought a 1940 police issue Bnner Mauser Luger. The gun is in beautiful, untouched condition, all matching, including the magazine, except for the barrel. It now wears a S/42 barrel marked 8.31with no serial number. I paid 2,900.00 from Simpson Lugers. Is this replacement barrel a huge distraction from this otherwise excellent pistol? Was it perhaps originally a 30 cal and converted to 9mm? How badly was I taken advantsgere ofin this purchase?
JamesCollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Technically the S/42 marked barrel is a war time replacement, as most Armorer replacement barrels of this period were were marked either S/42, or just 42. To many this would detract in value and some might go to the extreme of qualifying it as a "shooter". Personally, because it is a war time replacement, it adds to the authenticity and the fact that the pistol didn't sit in a drawer during the entire conflict. In my humble opinion, Simpson should have noted the barrel change in their description. Still, it sounds like a nice pistol and you should provide the membership with some photos.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Lyn Islaub for your post:
Unread 08-06-2020, 11:36 PM   #3
Yakman
User

JamesCollier, Are you sure you're not a victim of your own inexperience? I've known Simpson for 38 years and i don't think "taking" customers is part of his business strategy. He offers a 3 day inspection period, did you not notice the barrel during that time? Gets back to inexperience.

Before I'd put Simpson down I'd ask on this site and Jan Stiil's if anyone has seen this on a banner before. Banners can have some oddities.

I had a 1939 Banner a number of years ago, s/n #34w, that had an Eagle/6 Simson stamp struck plainly on the side plate along with the 34. I was sure it was a replacement. I searched and found a side plate with a 34 on it and replaced the E/6 one on the gun, thinking how lucky I was. Fortunately, I saved the E/6 plate because I later read that although unusual, E/6 stamped parts did appear on some Banners. I still have that 34 marked side plate I incorrectly used to replace the E/6 plate. That was over forty years ago. I still don't think anyone has satisfactorily explained how Simson marked parts got onto Mauser Banners. At least an s/42 barrel is Mauser made.

Jack
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2020, 07:01 AM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Mauser had a habit of reusing available military contract odds and ends to build pistols for commercial orders during the war. So it is not surprising to see all sorts of variations in parts and configurations. There are too many, good quality, banner anomalies around to support this. The pistol was most likely built or rebuilt after 1942. The chamber date can be misleading as it only served a purpose on military contract P08s as well as on some other contracts. But they would have not discarded perfectly good dated receivers after the year with which they were marked ended.

Any chance to see some photos of the pistol?

The barrel is probably marked 8,81 and not 8,31.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 08-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Yakman
User

Vlim, your explanation is about as satisfactory as I have heard for Banner anomalies Thanks.

Jack
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #6
JamesCollier
New User

Bob Simpson answered my e-mail with the following information on my S/42 marked barrel. "Your Banner 5287x was originally made with the s/42 barrel marking and no serial number. It is estimated that 66 guns were made this way and only two have been noted. It is a rare variation. Please see attached copies of Hallock's Mauser book." The copies were somewhat cut off in transmission. They were page 299 and another page. Both pages had tables listing information. The text also refrenced Table 19.10, but was not included. These pages came from Chapter 19. Can anyone take a cell phone photo of these and any other pages that pertain to this gun and either text or email them to me? I can not lay my hands on a copy of the book.
The following member says Thank You to JamesCollier for your post:
Unread 08-10-2020, 01:00 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I moved this to the commercial area of this forum, as the technical feedback area was incorrect.

Perhaps someone can post the information here - but why don't you write Bob and tell him some pages did not come through?
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 08-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
SteveM
User

Banners are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to SteveM for your post:
Unread 08-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
JamesCollier
New User

Can anyone recommend ammo that will likely function in Lugers?
Unread 08-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default ammo

Hi James, WW white box target / range 115 gr. ball will work flawlessly in a fine condition 9MM Luger... and, PPU .30 / 7.65 Luger will work in the .30 caliber Lugers, on par with the WW .30 Luger ammo of old?.... best, til....lat'r....GT

BTW, other excellent 9MM choices, Federal 124 grain, PMC 115 or 124 grain, work well.....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: