LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-17-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
thecrumb
User

Post new owner - looking for info

I recently inherited a Luger from my Dad. He's been showing early stages of Alzheimers and my Mom wasn't comfortable with the gun in the home.

All I really know about it is that my Grandfather acquired it in the war. I've got the gun, holster, 2 clips and a belt buckle. I think it's supposed to have a 'key' which helps during disassembly but I couldn't find that, I think at some point my Dad bought one but who knows where it is.

I'll post some pics shortly. Going to look through the site as well but any info I could get on the gun would be great.

I'd like to know:

- how best to take care of it - it's been stuffed in the holster and buried in a closet in a briefcase ever since I can remember.

- how safe would this be to shoot? anything I should check first?

- guesstimates on value would be interesting though I really have no interest in selling it

Thanks much, great to find resources like this on the web!

Jim
thecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
thecrumb
User

Here are some pictures:

Belt buckle:

Marks:

Sides:

Top:

I found some similar markings reading over the site, looks like it was a "DWM" military Luger. Can't place the mark on the top however with the date stamped "1918".

Also on the bottom of the barrel next to a stamped 'e' is the number 8,82.

Thanks!
Jim
Unread 03-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Jim, some basic info for you;

The 8,82 is the measurement of the lands to lands.

1918 would be the last year of WW1 and DWM is the manufacturer. I blew up slightly, I would be interested in a closer look at this marking on the barrel just in front of the date on the receiver?

I would clean the luger (gently) with some good gun oil, be very careful if you take the grips off, as it is easy to break or chip them.

Overall it is a nice ensemble / rig!

Welcome to the forum!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
unspellable
User

Important rule! Never store steel (The pistol) in proximity to to leather (The holster). The residue of the chemicals used in tanning leather will play hob with the finish and promote rust.

From the pictures it looks as if the left side has already suffered.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
thecrumb
User

Thanks for the info! Ed, I'll try to get a better picture of that stamp this evening.

What is the best method to store the gun? The holster is really in bad shape anyway, I'll post pics of it tonight as well.

Thanks,
Jim
Unread 03-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Jim, many ways to store a gun.

I do it fairly simple, but live in a very dry climate the last five years, (Eastern Washington and now Colorado).

I clean my guns well, then leave them coated in "Breakfree". Almost any good gun oil will keep your guns good. I then put them either away, not touching or in a special "gun-sock" that is impregnated with silicone. Works very well.

I did have a bunch of bayonets that I left in a wooden box for many years, they rusted here and there, lesson learned is keep them away from wet, keep away fromthe ground, keep them oiled.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2004, 02:12 AM   #7
G.W. Gill
User

Crumb, You have a long row to hoe. Take the pistol apart and put it away. I have been in your shoes. You and your Mom will make it. It is tough. Call me at ... get in touch with the E -mail selection. gwgillshat@aol.com. I have been there. Lets talk about Lugers after our life experience plays out. You came to the right place! I don't want your pistol, I wan't your mind and and outlook on life. Take the bolts out of the rifles and the other stuff you can think of.. then e-mail and I will give you my number. You can be proud of yourself and help your Mom. It happens. This is not BS. For example: The most heart wrenching thing I have ever done is hang my Dad's bicycle on hooks in the garage. It made me his Dad. I am proud , and you can be too. gwgillshat@aol.com Call me, G.W. Gill
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote