LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 07-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
dgolf
User

Default 1920 DWM 9mm History and Value

I am new to information regarding Lugers. My dad gave me this gun and he got it from his dad. It seems to carry a common story with these.... supposed to be taken off a German soldier.

This is what I have:

1920 DWM Luger
Seems to have matching serial numbers (4143)
Handle is stamped .S.B.4769.
Grips do not appear to be original

I have attached some pictures as well. I hope this is helpful.

Any history and estimated value would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by dgolf; 07-28-2010 at 09:59 AM.
dgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Dan, welcome to the forum.

You have a 1920 (year made) DWM (manufacture) that went into the Berlin police at some point (Don or someone with Don's book {I am at work} can tell you exact info on the marking on the gripstrap.

Nickle or more commonly chrome was never a german military or police, this was done later, perhaps right after the war.

Value is high to you as sentimental, value to me as a buyer if you were at my table, around $400, they sell for around $500-$600 depending on who is looking for a GI trophy that has been gussied up.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
dgolf
User

Thanks Ed. That is very helpful information. I would love to hear of any other historical facts and thoughts on value for this luger from Don and others. Please feel free to post your comments.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi, I'm new at this, so this is subject to correction...

Looks like you have a "17" numbered side plate that has been arsenal rework matched. What is the proof just in front of the "4" on the side plate? If it's an imperial proof (crown over a gothic letter) it's probably an Erfurt part.

I'm not sure, but it looks like there may be a Crown/M proof on the left side of the receiver just to the left of the first "4" in the serial number. That would have made this a WW-I or earlier Navy gun originally if it's authentic; reworked after WW-I by Simson. I believe that the"1920" rework stamp was put on these reworks at that time. The sear safety would have also been put on at the time of the rework or later.

The refinishing will make collectors cringe because Police reworks are reasonably scarce, and Navy guns are very scarce.

It's out of focus, but on the police magazine base, what number is under the stick eagle?

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
dgolf
User

Thanks Marc....this is great discovering all this info after being in the family for so long.

There are actually a couple M's that are stamped just under the 4143 in the first image. One is just to the left and below the first M and the other is between and below the first 4 and 1. Is that what you are looking at?

On the magazine base the number is 4933.

I have heard from some friends that the refinishing may hurt the value. That is unfortunate.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I'm not sure the 1920 on the chamber is the manufacture date. It may be the 1920 government property stamp. The gun has been heavily buffed and the photos are fuzzy but it appears that it may originally have been an Imperial-era Navy Luger. I think I see two C/M stamps on the left side of the receiver and it has commercial-style serial numbers on the takedown lever and the side plate (apparently a replacement since the number on the bottom (17) doesn't match the sn of the gun). If it was a Navy, the chamber date may have been ground off. Others more knowledgeable about Navies may provide better information. Clearer photos would probably help.

In any event, as Ed noted, the pistol was issued/reissued to the Berlin Schutzpolizei (the Prussian state police), probably in 1920. An early-1920s Berlin Schupo marking has been ground off the grip strap leaving some remnant periods. This accounts for the period preceeding the S. The surviving mark S.B.4769. was applied in 1932 when a new order was issued revising the format of these markings. The weapon number indicates this pistol was issued to Gruppe Mitte in the Central district of Berlin (HWIS Table 6-4).

The sear safety was installed in 1934 and indicates the pistol was assigned to the precinct police (Revierpolizei) of Gruppe Mitte and probably remained with the Berlin police through WWII.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
dgolf
User

Thanks Don. I will take some better photos. It is interesting to find that this is a police issue/reissue and may be older than 1920 Navy issue.

In regards to the C/M markings all I can really make out are the two M's on the left side. I will take a closer look and see if there are any signs of the C.

I thought it was odd that there were extra periods before and after the S.B. 4769.
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I may have mislead you with the shorthand notation C/M. This stands for "crown over M," so you should be looking for crowns stamped above the Ms, not the letter C. Sorry if I confused you.

It definitely appears you have a Navy receiver and probably frame. It is likely that the original 6" Navy barrel was replaced by the police with a 4" one. The photos seem to bear this out.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
dgolf
User

Thanks for the clarification. I will look for the crown over the M. I will keep you posted on what I find and when I upload new photos. Does this change the value or should I expect it to be worth the original $500 to $600 range?
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Dan, Your Luger was assembled using parts from several guns. The fact that one of those guns was a highly desirable Imperial Navy Luger, does not, unfortunately, raise your guns value to a collector. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I think your estimate of $500 to $600 is correct. Someone that prefers or collects refinished Lugers may find your pistol more attractive because of all the "lives" it's been through, as evidenced it's markings.

Marc
mrerick is offline   Reply With Quote