LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
alvin
User

Default Interarms from RIAC

These seven NIBs, $1500 each BP included. Good investment.. Did you win any of these? I was not at home today, missed the opportunity.

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Two-Ma...p?lid=35456633

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Matchi...p?lid=35456629

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Matchi...p?lid=35456631
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

You do not have to be "home" to bid!
Unread 05-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Decent prices, plus 18% ??
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #4
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Interesting pistols for sure!
Unread 05-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Decent prices, plus 18% ??
20% BP was counted in the $1500 per gun price. The hammer price was $1250 per gun. For NIB, that's great price.
Unread 05-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
You do not have to be "home" to bid!
I did not notice them initially. Only searched the word "broomhandle", no interest on all items displayed, so I went out and did not watch the auction. When I came back, the auction already finished, and I found these Interarms.
Unread 05-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

nice pistols.
Didn't they retail for $5,000 originally ?
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
nice pistols.
I don't know. I want to buy a pair as investment for kids. For domain that I am not familiar, I don't want to take any risk. I am not a Luger guy, but Interarms does not need much domain knowledge due to not many people playing games on this type. Amazingly, although missed them yesterday, I did win a pair today for $3000. Including buyer's premium.

Are these rarer? They have special markings...

https://www.rockislandauction.com/catalog/70/?lot=3718
Unread 05-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
DonVoigt
User

Mauser did make fewer of these "special" models; but like many commemorative firearms, they have not appreciated much in the years since.

Usually it is best to ask questions Before buying! There were many more available in today's auction.

If you want an "investment" you should stick to what you know- i.e. broomhandles! JMHO.
Unread 05-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I did not notice them initially. Only searched the word "broomhandle", no interest on all items displayed, so I went out and did not watch the auction. When I came back, the auction already finished, and I found these Interarms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
nice pistols.
I noticed these multi-Parabellum lots soon after they were listed, and posted about them. I haven't been following the gun auction market for as long as many here, but I thought it unusual to see that many lots of Parabellums offered in pairs or trios--and all NIB. I think you did GREAT on your purchase!

IIRC, these sold in the $700 range when new. They are appreciated, but spurned a bit as collectibles, presumably because they're not "original, original." The manufacturer, even though still Mauser, was technically new, as was most of the tooling and many of the techniques used to fashion them, as well as parts of the design, such as the toggle ramps.

Aside from reported finish characteristics, such as parts that are plum color, porosity visible in some of the investment cast parts, and high-gloss buffed surfaces, they are fine pistols--just as accurate, dependable, and durable as the "real McCoy."

So, in the sense that they are generally regarded as reproductions, they command a little less money, on average, than would a decent old one. Five or six years ago, they were available for under a thousand unless it was a rare variation within the variation, as is the P.08 model, of which relatively fewer were made compared to the Swiss frame version. They are going for somewhat North of $1k these days, so they certainly can and do appreciate.

Mauser seems to have made some of each major variation, even carbines, cartridge counters, and Artillerys--though not very many! I suppose the commemoratives offered were. in part, a marketing strategy, but if you like a good commemorative, what the hey.

In actual numbers, with more than 3,000,000 originals made, the few thousands by Mauser are actually more rare. If you are patient, you'd eventually be able to find a Parabellum just about every configuration that had ever been made originally--barrel length/style, caliber, frame style. One obvious exception would be the post-'37 models with no strawed parts, e.g. the "Black Widow."

I hope this "Parabellum Primer" is helpful, and if I'm mistaken about any part, I hope the real experts will correct!
Unread 05-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #11
alvin
User

I bought a plain one 20 years ago, NIB, an AE 4" 9m/m with Swiss style grip. Same as lot #3720. The cost was $700 at that time. This type could go higher in RIAC, but seller listed too many in one auction session. The market is only that big, so ... it went under low estimate.

#3718 (my invested commemorative pair) was $2500, total cost is probably $3000.
#3719 (a plain 6" AE 9mm) was $2000, total cost is $2300 - $2400.
#3720 (a plain 4" AE 9mm) was $2000, total cost is $2300 - $2400.

The unit price of commemorative is actually $800 lower than a plain one. That's a little bit weird. I would only consider pairs or trios due to unit price is a few hundred dollars lower. If I resell them this year, I should ask $2300 each, still much much lower than Simpson LTD's list price, but with $800 profit per gun. That's not very attractive though. I probably will store them longer -- although most Interarms are NIB, but NIB vs NIB still has minor difference -- NIB with a white box in this mint shape is not on gunbroker.com every week. Only $3000, equivalent of a common variation broomandle's cost.

Regarding Don's comments on 'If you want an "investment" you should stick to what you know- i.e. broomhandles' -- actually, I did. In that domain, I could earn more per gun. But excellent / rare broomhandles in low low cost need time to come, the volume is tiny. RIAC did list a few this session, but I did not bid on any.

===

[Edit] Just reviewed their C96 in Day 3. Lot #3510 Bolo is OK. Lot #3508 M1930 is a good gun, but this condition is common in M1930 category, ,,,the condition is not outstanding, but the price is outstanding, for trading, it's not a good candidate.. Lot #3509 is a joke, isn't this a poor reblue? Coming with a letter of $50 does not make it a $4250 + 15%.

In short, these broomhandles listed in this session are not as attractive as those Interarms

Last edited by alvin; 05-08-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Unread 05-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
DonVoigt
User

Alvin,
if I read your post correctly, you already have plans to sell the pistols you have not yet received, as
You say "this year" and even If you store them longer the intent is to make profit?

You do know that buying and selling firearms for profit and with the intent to sell- not collect - requires a FFL, as you are acting as a "dealer in firearms".

I would not want you to run afoul of the Feds!
Unread 05-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
spacecoast
User

Quote:
The manufacturer, even though still Mauser, was technically new, as was most of the tooling and many of the techniques used to fashion them, as well as parts of the design, such as the toggle ramps.
One correction - the original manufacturer was not Mauser.

Looking for a DWM Commercial side plate #95
spacecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spacecoast for your post:
Unread 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Alvin,
if I read your post correctly, you already have plans to sell the pistols you have not yet received, as
You say "this year" and even If you store them longer the intent is to make profit?

You do know that buying and selling firearms for profit and with the intent to sell- not collect - requires a FFL, as you are acting as a "dealer in firearms".

I would not want you to run afoul of the Feds!
Who defined collectors must hold items for life time, and then let widows selling them at deep discount?

The intention is investment. The selling timing depends on market demand. However, too many of these have been dumped to market recently, I guess selling them in near future won't bring me good returns. Market recovery from this dumping needs time. No problem, I have time. In this period of years, I can enjoy looking at them. Currently, 15-month CD APY is 1.75%, $3000 generates only $52.50 per year. Put a small portion of your savings into C&R is not a bad choice.
Unread 05-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #15
mauro

Guys,
Do not forget that some Mauser Parabellum ledgers are still available mainly for .30 Luger pistols.
Therefore if you have some serial numbers that you want to check, please contact me.
Checking takes just a few minutes therefore it is not a problem.
More info here: http://www.lugerlp08.com/mauser%20pa...tification.htm
Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 05-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post
One correction - the original manufacturer was not Mauser.
Yes, I know, "anything made after 1918 is a reproduction"!

Considering that Mauser's production from the 30s until the end of WWII was accomplished with the former DWM/BKIW tooling from Berlin, we might say Mauser made "originals" as opposed to "original originals." Their 70's efforts used tooling based on that of the Swiss armory, which was obtained by Mauser and subsequently abandoned or modified due to the design changes and more modern manufacturing methods.

With all the corporate and political shifting around of tooling and production facilities, it's sometimes difficult to sort out the degrees of separation and reconcile them to the term "original," which itself is not without subjectivity. My quote from Ron Wood, at the top, has always seemed a bit exclusive and harsh, but it is hard-core accurate!

I might have been clearer...thanks for pointing this out.
Unread 05-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #17
mauro

All,
If you want to really appreciate Mauser Parabellum made after 1969, I strongly recommend reading my book "The Parabellum is back! 1945-2000", there are so many partially correct information about these pistols and there are so many variations that it takes time to appreciate and correctly evaluate the rarity. Sometimes there are rare variations that are sold like standard simply because lack of knowledge.
Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 05-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro View Post
Sometimes there are rare variations that are sold like standard simply because lack of knowledge.
There was a pair that I missed on Day 2:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...pistols#detail

Went out on that day. Otherwise.... God knows, otherwise, could be same, might not change anything. It's hard for me to compete with others on price. I love cold items that not many people want in auction. Only in that way, it could be cheap. At this level ($4500 hammer, or $5175 with BP), it's hard to compete. But these must be rare... I guess. I have never seen this style before.

Simpson just sold one:
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...ducts_id=33486

But Simpson is Simpson, they could sell at this price does not imply others could sell at this price.
Unread 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #19
mauro

Dear Alvin
For sure the Commemorative Mauser Parabellum pistols are a rare variation, in general only 250 for each single model were made although there are some exceptions.

The price from the auction you refer to is quite fair, the previous owner was for sure really inspired when bought the pistols; he asked for Bulgarian and Russian commemorative with the same sn as well as Navy commemoratives with consecutive sn; this is very interesting indeed and I fully understand that the pistols were sold on pair.

However, quite often happens that rare Mauser Parabellum go for small money simply because people doesn't appreciate the rarity of the models.

Something very evident, the Mauser Parabellum 9mm production is three times the production of the .30 Luger model (around 5000 .30Luger standard model were made). So the .30 Luger is quite rare when compared with the most common 9mm, despite this you can have both at the same price simply because the dealers don't know about this.

I do believe is still possible to buy NIB Mauser Parabellum for a fair price and I am sure in the future the price will increase.

Cheers,

Mauro
The following member says Thank You to mauro for your post:
Unread 05-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #20
Leather Neck
User

Check Point Charlie's recently had two LNIB Mauser Interarms Lugers, one in .30 and one in 9mm. As well as I remember, they were both in the $800 or $900 range; definitely under $1,000. I was very tempted to grab the 9mm one, but I couldn't justify it.