LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-26-2001, 11:21 AM   #1
Mike T.

Default Dumb question on hot ammo

I have always subscribed to the theory that if your Luger can handle standard 115 grain ammo, there is no point in using anything hotter, as that will just promote additional wear. However, is this logic flawed? All I really understand about the toggle mechanism and action is that it is incredibly cool. Is there a chance that using the weaker form of the ammo will cause the toggle to slam forward on the loading part of the cycle harder than it would with the hotter stuff and that you actually are accelerating the rate of wear by not using the stouter ammo originally designed for the pistol?

Parenthetically, I have shot thousands of rounds of the standard stuff through my Luger without a single malfunction, so I really have no strong desire to change unless there is a good reason to do so.

Unread 09-26-2001, 12:02 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: Dumb question on hot ammo

That isn't a dumb question, because it depends on the gun. Spring strength, wear and tear already present, etc. I have shot some guns that require hotter loads, or they just don't function as well. Also, I have had my Arty feed fine with just lead head bullets, yet my other one chokes up on them. Both seem to prefer slightly hotter, compared to less hot loads. If your's feeds and shoots fine with regular loads, then keep doing it.

Ed

Unread 09-26-2001, 04:35 PM   #3
Viggo G Dereng

Mike,

It is well to take particular notice to the point on each side of the frame that is struck by the toggle knobs.

there should be some slight wwearing at these points.

However this should not exceed rubbing off thew blue.

If ANY MORE than this has taken place or if galling is or has taken place the roughnes spots should be removed carefully with a fine "Arkansas Stone", being careful not to remove blue outside of the rubbed space where blue is already damaged.

In all casas this area should be carefully observed and lubricated after each fifty or so rounds have been fired.

Keep this area frequently lubed. A small rag saturated (not sloppy) with any good gun lube oil or grease.

Keep your groups small.

ViggoG

Unread 09-26-2001, 05:47 PM   #4
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

I would say that�´the opposite would be nicest for the gun.

let me explain

What you need for the gun to cycle is recoil, not gaspreasure but recoil.

And the bigest recoil you get with the heavyest bullet.

With a heavy bullet you can lower the loading charge and still maintain fairly "high" recoil.

With a lighter bullet you need the increase the load and thus the gaspreasure to archive the same recoil energy.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

http://www.vapensmedjan.com
Unread 09-28-2001, 05:36 AM   #5
Dieter

my lugers are shooting excellent with magtech-9a-ammo. the bullet has 115 gr., a light one, and the load is not so hard. be careful with heavy bullets and hard loads. the pressure will be too high for the luger. in the 1960th a friend shot such a heavy bullet (nato-ammo) and destroyed a wonderful dwm in a perfect condition. the firing-pin-lock (hope that's right) broke the firing-pin-chamber. now he has a mismatched sparepart in it.