LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-09-2003, 10:24 PM   #1
colcolombo
User

Question Need help to load a 50 round Thompson drum

Hi Y'all,

Is there a Thompson expert out there? I bought a new 50 round drum for my Thompson "carbine". That's the politically correct term for a Thompson machine gun.
I have taken it apart and it is well lubricated inside and doesn't appear to have ever been loaded. I understand there is a "third hand" (whatever that is) that goes with it but I don't have one. Think it sells for around $6. The drum has a wind up handle on it and I just simply don't have a clue as to how to load it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Hill
colcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
May I recommend that you visit Tom Bower's Politically Incorrect Machine Gun forums at http://www.subguns.com and there you will find a large crowd of fellow "rat-a-tat-tat" gun enthusiasts who will be glad to provide the answers to your drum questions...

There are only a couple Class III knowledgeable folks that frequent this forum and they may not be timely to your request because of the infrequency of the their visits.

Good luck!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
PaulP
User

Joe,

In case you haven't found the informaiton you need (others, please excuse this off-topic post; if it is a problem I do apologize). To load the drum lift the lip of the clip slightly (center of the winding key) and push the entire key off to the side. This clip either has a pin in it (old style) or a hole in it (newer style) that latches to the pivot of the drum rotor. Remember which way you slide the key and how it lifts off as you will need to do just the opposite to put it back on. Once you get the clip off you simple lift the cover off the drum. You will then see a rotor that has six ears and a track riveted to the back of the drum. Place 5 rounds, base down, in the track in open section of the rotor that lines up with the magazine feed opening. Working clockwise, load 5 rounds into each section of the spiral track. You should end up with four sections with 10 rounds and two sections with 5 rounds. Make sure there are no rounds in the innermost spiral of the two sections with 5 rounds. Line up the small slot of the cover with the pin protruding from the side of the magazine and press the cover on. Place the key over the pivot, press down slightly on the ears of the key and slid the key over until the clip latches. Make sure you line up the slots in the pivot with the key when you do this. It takes a bit of practice.

If you are not using the drum immediately, just wind one of two clicks to keep tension on the cartridges. If you are using it soon, wind to the number specified on thed drum. Do not rewind a partially used drum as this can damage the spring.

The drum can only be inserted with the bolt pulled back as it must be slid sideways into the receiver (compared to a stick magazine being pushed up into the receiver). I believe the third hand you mention was designed to help in loading the "carbines" as they may not lock back (having never handled one I don't know.) Either inserting or removing a drum magazine requires the bolt to be locked or held all the way back.

Hope this helps.

Paul
PaulP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
No Problem with providing instructions... this is an OFF TOPIC forum... I was trying to hook him up with the rest of the CLASS III fraternity...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #5
colcolombo
User

Tac & John & Paul,

I appreciate all your responses.

Sounds a little complicated Paul but can't say that you didn't go into detail. Thanks.

And Tac, always appreciate your humor. Sometimes I have to read you twice to be sure of what you said but, anyway, it's always entertaining.

And John, I will go to the website you mentioned and see what's going on in the Class III world.

Best regards to all,

Joe H
colcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote