LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
hansfischer007
User

Smile Very Happy Today but need Advice...!!

Hey Guys.....Hans Fischer here on monday...got up early this morning and drove approximately 200 miles NE of here...to a Gunshop in Lenoir City Tn...Nicest people you would ever want to do business with....Cant Brag on them enough.(.LOUDON COUNTY SPORTSMAN.)....I wound up trading Two of my S&Ws for an Interarms Mauser Luger 9mm with 6" barrel...came with Two Magazines..both stamped Mauser...had been fired couple of times......I am Very Happy with the Trade...brought my new Mauser home...loaded up Two Magazines and went out back and destroyed two mole hills in rapid fire....she locked open on both mags after last round.....After coming back in house...and calming down a little...looked closer at the Pistol and I believe the previous owner must have used WD-40 as oil...as its pretty gummy everywhere.....I need advice on what you guys think is the best to clean that junk off ....Ive got some Good Gun Oil that I purchased in Gun Shop last month...just want to get that "sludge" off...and I imagine the best thing will be to break it down as far as Im comfortable to get inside it.....Anyway......Finally got my Interarms Mauser....and its Everything I could want.....From the American Eagle on Top...to the Original Mauser Crest on back...to MADE IN GERMANY on the back toggle.....all of it reminds me of my tour in Germany in the early 60s.....The Best of two worlds......SO...let me know what you advise is best to clean this Baby up..............Next will be looking for a holster.......Thanks again .....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Hans,

Congratulations!

Depending on what is sticking to the surfaces, you could try Hoppes No.9; acetone or mineral spirits to dissolve and remove it.

Gentle, using a Q-Tip. Remove the grips carefully before proceeding. Avoid chipping the left one near the safety lever...

Depending on where it all is, you may have to completely disassemble things. If so, proceed slowly and consider getting a large white plastic bag to work in. I sometimes do this if I'm afraid of having a part spring off. The bag is easier to search than my carpet.

This could be the original oil just well dried out. Remember to freshly oil it when you're done.

Marc
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
nukem556
User

Congrats, Hans! I really want to run across a 70's Mauser 6in .30 with the P08 frame.....one day maybe. I'd suggest you use Kroil...its a light penetrating oil that will ooze into every nook and cranny and should break up that gummy stuff. Take the grips off first, it'll get everywhere, but works great. Not much lubricating properties to it, so afterwards clean it up and apply some good lube.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
aptech77
User

I agree, kroil's a great cleaner and remover of rust. Then use a good gun oil or I like CLP.
aptech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default you may not be aware, there were only 5070 .30 cal

lugers made for interarms.....damn small number compared to all the others thru the years.....i have 3 of them, all new in the box...enjoy
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I use mineral spirits as Marc suggests. It's relatively cheap and I reuse it. Just pour it back into the jug. The gunk settles and you pour off clean spirits later. I use a plastic basin..take my pistol apart and lay all the parts in..scrub with a soft toothbrush. I discovered "Bore Snakes" for bore cleaning. Really great things...easy and they work well.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Congratulation Hans,
in our book "The Parabellum is back! 1945 - 2000" we publish the Mauser production book (at least the part today available).
If you are lucky you can trace when your pistol has been assembled, sent to the Mauser shipment department and then shipped to Interarms...

Cheers,
Mauro