LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

View Poll Results: Peaked interest of Lugers
One of the first widely adopted automatic pistols 1 1.27%
Craftsmenship, engineering, function 27 34.18%
Beauty, apperance, style 14 17.72%
Romanticized/connotion to WWI 5 6.33%
Connection to the Weimer Republic 2 2.53%
Romanticized/connection to Nazi Germany & WWII 9 11.39%
Other (explain) 21 26.58%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
318is_Parabellum
User

Sweet 'Vette! Sometimes I really regret selling my triple black Mercedes SL500.

I had a baby on the way and just lost my job, so it had to go.

Fortunately, I still have my namesake, the 91 BMW 318is!
318is_Parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Maybe we can get Ed to post a picture of his Mustang...

I've owned my '86 Vette since '98, and it's a hodge-podge of adapted parts...Original parts are no longer available...Repros are few and mostly cosmetic...And due to an ill-designed fuel line placement, I'm mostly scared to drive it...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
singleshotman
User

My grandfather owned an AMERICAN EAGLE Luger in .30 that he carried in the Revolution that overthrew Diez in 1911. Before he died he gave it to my uncle, my cousin now owns it. But he cares nothing about guns, its a pity. I would sell everything I own to buy it. PS this is in CA, not Mexico.
singleshotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #24
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed View Post
Mustang are nice. I have two Chevelles and a road runner. Love old cars.
Nice to see that there are more Chevelle owners here, I'm one of them ('69 Malibu) and I believe there's yet another one from the Chevelle forum lurking around here... I love old stuff in general, and I have always been fascinated by the characteristic and unique appearance of the Luger. However, the more I work on them, the more I appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship. For better or for worse, it's a good reminder of the times when people took the time to assemble a quality product.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #25
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default War Trophies

My late Dad brought back two of them from WW2. One he kept, (now mine), and the other a gift to his oldest brother (it now belongs to my first cousin) who was categorized as 4F by the draft board because of a medical condition and couldn't join the fight and capture one of his own...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
Ben M.
User

investment and shooting fun would be 2 other good choices too

i am in the shooting fun, but used other in the poll
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #27
Douglas Jr.
User

My option was "Other", as my personal interest came from a mix from each alternative offered.
And my fathers passion for this magical gun.
Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #28
hopscotch
User

I got my #8647 Kreighoff in 1956 when my uncle gave it to me. I was 16 then. He brought it back and I have his bring back paper. He was in N. Africa, Italy, the Bulge etc. and was under
Patton on Tank destroyers.

As for Chevelles, I have 65 Convertible, original 327 with factory 4 speed.
Eastern Oregon car, no rust.
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #29
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200691622618_pictures 003.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	40904  

Name:	200692364740_Mustang_2006.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	40905  

Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #30
TheRomanhistorian
User

I have always had an interest in the sleekness of the Luger design and later a great interest in World War I (I have, to be honest, little to no interested in World War II funny enough). It's my goal to one day save up enough to get a British proofed Luger (just for the sheer amusement value and to combine my love of British WWI pistols and German WWI pistols).

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #31
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch View Post
I got my #8647 Kreighoff in 1956 when my uncle gave it to me. I was 16 then. He brought it back and I have his bring back paper. He was in N. Africa, Italy, the Bulge etc. and was under
Patton on Tank destroyers.

As for Chevelles, I have 65 Convertible, original 327 with factory 4 speed.
Eastern Oregon car, no rust.
Joe, my late father served in the same places, 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division. How about your uncle? do you know which unit he served with?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #32
danielsand
User

I voted "other" as my interest involves almost all categories mentioned.

My family history is rich, and HEAVILY immersed in both "Great Wars". One grandfather died in WW1, one in WW2+ two uncles. Mom and dad both served in WW2 (on OPPOSITE sides!). Mom brought an Arty home as a trophy, and as a VERY young boy, I remember playing with it on the couch (unloaded of course). One can say that the Artillery Parabellum was my first toy. After my dad was killed in (what the family believes) a staged "accident", mom fell on some hard times (financially), and the Arty was sold to a European collector (we lived in Europe at the time).

I need to mention something here, that some of you might find amusing. My mom told me that this pistol (Artillery Parabellum) has a nickname! Later on, I've heard MANY European veterans refering to it by this nickname. Directly translated in English, she was calling it "The Stork" (the bird that brings babies in European fairytales!). I wonder if any of you Arty collectors, ever heard this moniker? An old man (years later) told me that the vets named it so because of the disproportionally long barrel, that 'fits" on the pistol just like long stork legs "fit" on the bird. Anyway,....just a little trivia for you guys.

I went into military in 1975, and stayed for a little over 20 years. Been to "few" places, saw some action, but since the early childhood, I was enamored with firearms, and assembled the impressive collection after I took my uniform off. I started collecting military small arms,.... mostly the ones I was trained on, which included both sides (East and West). Parabellum was just a distant memory, and it didn't have a place in my collection.

Past X-mas (2013), a family friend brought me a present. 1918 Erfurt! The feel of the grip, the sleek design, the fit and finish, took me instantly to my childhood! I have to mention that up to this point I never fired a Parabellum (I will always call it this for two reasons,......my European upbringing, and in honor of my late mother, who always refered to it by that name/or nickname,......VERY few people in Europe refer to it as "Luger"). I promptly cleaned this one, and started shooting it.

I just LOVE it! I carry it wherever I go. I have modern magazines for it, and I feel adequately armed with it. My Glocks (handguns of choice up to this point) are getting a little break.

And that's my story.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to danielsand for your post:
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #33
stressed
User

OK, who clicked connection to Weimar republic?
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #34
alvin
User

The car is beautiful, but this headlight design had a potential issue. I had a car with closeable headlights in the past. The biggest problem of this design -- it was a big headache when the "eyelid" refused to open. Finally, I kept the "eyes" open all the time. I bet that was a popular problem, because very few cars have this type of headlights on road these days
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0700.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	40917  

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #35
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The car is beautiful, but this headlight design had a potential issue. (Alvin)

Nice looking C5 red there. A fine car. ... Lugers and corvettes have always stuck with me, a spice of life I reckon. (Rick)

Thanks, fellas. Alvin, You're quite right, she is beautiful. I absolutely don't want to sound smartaleck...but the opening/closing of the headlights on this car is largely irrelevant. I did have one go bad about a year ago, the delrin gear turned into useless chips; 45 minutes and a brass gear replacement later and the headlight was fine. Also, stock C5 seats suck big time.

But the real stuff...that's where it's at. I've done 140+ down the pit straight at Putnam Raceway, nailed the brakes at the 100 foot marker and dove into the right-hander at 75. The car is a dream at doing that and an old man's pride and joy to boot. The only problem is, when I'm on the race track an old piece of wood keeps getting caught in the steering wheel spokes.

Rick, I think any classic design, such as our beloved Lugers, elicits the same feelings in all of us; a design that is not a reflection of some fad, just-right looks and a fit and function that's far more than the assembly of it's parts.

Best to all, and thanks for the kind words,

Gunny John

PS. Ed, I LOVE your 'stang.
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #36
goldwing
User

Default Reason for Lugers

I have been collecting US military weapons for many years. in 2009 my friend at the LGS told me that I needed a German Luger and he just happened to have one. It was a 1916 DWM bring back with holster and papers and for a reasonable price. So I became its new owner and fell in love with the and am still looking for some.

Bill

Mike , thanks for the correction I should learn to proof! Bill

Last edited by goldwing; 03-28-2014 at 07:59 PM.
goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #37
mikedavid
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I think you meant 1916 not 1816. If it was a 1816 Luger it would be worth MILLIONS!
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #38
marshombre
User

My late father was a veteran of the 395th Regiment, 99th Division, the so-called Checkerboard Division. In action in and around Remagen, he became seperated from his platoon and came under fire from a vehicle mounted MG and neutralized it with his BAR. Later in the day he captured a German officer and relieved him of his dagger, binoculars, and most importantly his 1929 sneak Luger. Growing up, this was by far my favorite pistol. Unfortunately for me, my older brother who has absolutely no interest in firearms ended up with the Luger rig. C'est la vie.
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #39
danielsand
User

And the older brother, who is "not into firearms", would not give the pistol to his brother who is!?

I don't understand this. I am the only child, I would've LOVED to have a brother, older or younger, doesn't matter. There is NOTHING I wouldn't do for my brother. C'est la vie.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #40
marshombre
User

My brother just thinks of it as a WWII souvenir. No worries.