LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
pitsword
User

I have some "hand grenukes" posted. My good neighbors are in the "loop", safe fall out zone. What is the this Land of our Fathers coming to?
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #22
CoyoteM4
User

I feel for anyone that's had a home invasion - I only hope that if I ever experience it that I can react swiftly and come out ahead. I've only had 1 break in and it happened when I wasn't home.
I did catch a guy coming up our back steps once, he said he was looking for a friend - :\ - Do not know if he was actually going to try a break in or not. I live on 2nd floor above an old bar, and we get a random crackhead looking for a place to smoke, or an alcoholic sleeping on the steps in the back sometimes. Sounds gnarlier than it is. I don't live in the ghetto, but we get a little spillover from time to time.

Glock 23 and a couple extended mags stowed between the headboard and the mattress, and an AK in between the bed and the wall if it ever gets extreme. If I go on vacation or travel for work I have multiple hiding spots - I break down all of my stuff and hide the parts. I just have field stripped stocks and receivers left in the safe. Come to my house, where you can find a K98 bolt in a box of Wheaties.
CoyoteM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #23
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default I Was Told This From A Former Thug!

He told me they would break in to home with secruity signs. They usually have more valuables and take the police at least 5 minutes to respond!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KENNY ALARM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	29907  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #24
Curly1
User

The houses on my street including mine with ADT signs have never been bothered. Several without them have been hit.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Hugh
RIP

Texas has the "Castle Doctrine", if you are in the house illegally, then you are dead! I have a gun in every room of the house, call me paranoid, but we live in a rural area, and the police won't get here quickly. The paramedics won't get here in time to save the unlucky bas***ds life either! If they are lucky enough to get past the alligators and Daisy (1/2 Pit Bull & 1/2 Lab) then they face a loaded 12 GA pump!

This is Daisy on guard:
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #26
MikeP
User

If you are going to arm yourself for home invasion, have a plan and practice it.

Family members have been shot and even killed by over enthusiastic home defenders.

Racking a shotgun lets someone know where you are and that you are not truly set.

Not a science, but a lot of factors need considering to be serious about this.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #27
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I agree with Mike. Have a plan and practice it. Purchase sintered or safety ammo like Glazers that will not penetratre walls. Have a cellphone and flashlight besides your primary gun. Have a corner or area you can move to that has good fire coverage and provides not only concealment but cover. Above all, have reliable locks on all doors and windows, as well as motion detectors that advise of movement in the house, whether the alarm is on or not. When the perp is standing over your bed it is basically too late to do anything.

While I don't doubt what the thug told Eric about alarm signs, my experience has been that houses with alarm signs are basically left alone, (people who install alarms and have signs out also have safes inside for their valuables. No 10-15 minute window is going to allow anybody to get to items in a safe or safely concealed. They will end up stealing low end crap and risk a lot for the effort). 99% of thieves are lazy and will go for the low hanging fruit. They will steal from homes that leave garage doors open, have items left in the driveway or patio. They look for slider doors they can lift off tracks, doors with thin windows they can place a coat over and smash.
Home invasions of occupied dwellings are almost always done after casing a place. The thieves most likely believe that there will be a huge payout that is worth the risk. Avoid showing expensive jewelry, keep your possesions low profile and above all else, don't tell everybody you meet about your fabulous gun, coin, stamp or whatever collection!
I live on a busy corner near a school in Miami and my home has a converted garage. To this day I wait until there is absolutely nobody in sight either walking or driving by before I walk a guncase out to my car. Neighbors gossip and sooner or later, the wrong person will take an interest in you. Although I was broken into some 20+ years ago. I have never had a problem since the prominent display of alarm signs on my property.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
tuica
User

Yes - The society we inhabit often teaches us harsh lessons. Hopefully we survive and live those lessons. The last time I ever hitchiked (in 1971?), I was robbed with a hunting-knife held against my throat. I can relate to that helpless feeling.

Glad you all came out of that invasion physically unharmed. Cheers.
tuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You are right, We thought living miles from Dade county but instilled a false sence of security. The next town north of Port St. Lucie is Ft Piece was called the crack rock capital. My good friend for over 20 years is our Sheriff who took a bold stance! His feelings were 'Let them eat balogna" He busted most our crime wave, recognising crack being the enemy. Today theres no place for leniency... Tough Justice! No more slaps on the wrist. Good education with values is essential. Now we are not fully over it and learned just how vulernable we were.. No More Nice Victims!!Yes we have an alarm system! Thanks for all the helpfull input! Eric & Debbie PS I love the picture of Max Schell!! 'Three Days Of The Condor! et al. We installed an alarm to be safe and a blue ADT sine in the front!
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #30
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Max Von Sydow......
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
jussi16
User

Default Home invasion?

Hello to all of you!

It seems to me that it is quite dangerous to live in the USA.

We do have our own share of thugs here in Finland too, but we donīt need to watch out all the time with guns.

Is this more of a problem in the cities or in the country? TV shows a lot of news about shootings.

When Iīm at the cottage, I have some hardware close for the wolfs or something. And even that is no big problem. I have a very good friend, a good dog. Scares most of the wildlife away.
And in the town, neighbours usually are watching for burglars and other things like that, if you are not there.

In Finland it is not allowed to carry guns , unless you are a police or something like that. Of course you can own them and shoot them, but not carry them around in public.
The finns kill with a kitchen knife. And we too have the Hells Angels and other motorcycle gangs here. Canīt imagine why someone would like to join them...

But we are quite safe most of the time.

Just wondering about the life and how it is so different in other places.

jussi
jussi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Florida allows you defend entry or attempts to enter your home if you have reasonalble that you, your family or goods are in danger. No longer have to wait for actual entry. It definitly has helped. I suggest a 9mm with laser! They usually run when the see the little red dot!!! Eric
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #33
Curly1
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
I suggest a 9mm with laser! They usually run when the see the little red dot!!! Eric
Unless they fire in the direction of the dot.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #34
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Great Point. Ill have to rethink that one!
Unread 11-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #35
LWaali
User

I have lived in several places around the world. I don't think if the US as more dangerous. I think it appears that it is more dangerous because of the media and because we have, generally speaking, more centers of high concentrated people. Any time you put millions of people in a small area you will find crazies. And I don't think that you can blame it on guns. Take the UK and Canada as examples.. they outlawed handguns (or make the laws extreamly prohibitive) and the rates of murder and violent crime with a weapon did not lower.. they just changed weapons. Last I heard there was a movement in the UK to outlaw all knives longer then 2 or 3 inches. I could go on and get into the same-old rhetoric that has been tossed about a hundred times but I will leave it at this.. I have been a legal card-carrying concealed pistol holder and have rarely been without a sidearm. I have yet to pull a gun on a person. But, I am prepared to do as upon threat to myself or my family. Does that make me a violent criminal?
LWaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #36
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Are your gun laws the same in all the provinces. Florida determines who can be issued a concealed weapons permit determines if one one can carry concealed weapons. If you want a concealed weapons permit and don't have a criminal record gunshows offers the 3 hour course, fingerprinting and paper work. A state agency, Florida Deptment of Agriculture & Consumer Services issues the Concealed Weapon Or Firearms Liscense! It does the background check and 2-3 weeks you have your permit which is good for 7 years. It allows you to purchase a firearm on the spot. The dealer check with the state for validity and its yours. I luv this state! If you don't have one then you have a waiting or cooling off period! I think its 3 days! Eric
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I want to briefly amplify something that Gary said earlier that caused me concern.

I am certified to teach NC Concealed Carry Handgun under our state department of justice.

In the 10th post here, Gary said:

"If you are going to point a loaded gun at them shoot to kill or you may not live past..."

Unfortunately, that state of mind constitutes felony manslaughter in most states.

Sometimes, people suggest that you should "shoot to wound"... that constitutes felony assault with a deadly weapon in most states.

Deadly force laws in North Carolina are statutory law, written by the legislature (as opposed to common law, inherited from our forefathers; which covers force up to but not including deadly force).

In this state, we are only authorized to stop an immediate, proximate deadly attack or sexual assault.

The key word here is "stop". Your intent must be to shoot to stop the attack. If you happen to kill them in the process, that's unfortunate for your attacker.

This may seem like a fine point, but if you say anything about any other intent to the investigating officers that arrive on the scene, you are sure to perk the interest of a district attorney that has the authority to introduce it to a grand jury.

Marc
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #38
tuica
User

Default Correct..

Mr. McQueen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Max Von Sydow......
tuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #39
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I'm surprised it didnt get tested in the courts. I hope it includes definitions. It appears totally ambigious. Do you have to call a lawyer before you shoot. How could you possible know his or her intent. What happened to your Constution right to defend your family and home? In Florida an invasion of you kingdom, its his ass! Clear and Concise! Its consistant with our Constitution! Your right to bear arms is guarenteed in our US constitution but you have no right to use them? Eric, JD
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
Ice
User

Shoot to stop; never to kill; never to wound. Whatever else happens is an unfortunate coincidence as long as the shoot is rightous.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote