LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #21
tacfoley

Post deleted.
Unread 11-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
Brent B.
User

I'm more bummed out now then when Clinton got elected the first time. I have a feeling that I'll be emailing my elected officials quite a bit over the next four years and it's something that everyone will be needing to do. Conny and Tac have it right, buy now and put it in storage. Brent B.
Brent B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #23
alvin
User

Brent -- I love that tank in avatar. It must burn oil like crazy. Half a mile per gallon, maybe?
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #24
Brent B.
User

Obama will probably come after my Avatar also!!! It's a 1/16th scale Tamiya full option radio controlled model that I built over last winter. Brent B.
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #25
Brent B.
User

Tac, I'll go ahead and try the photos in a PM but may have to wait till my oldest son gets into the office as I'm computer stupid and will need his help to post the 2 photos I have of it. I saw a photo of a Panter from the 9th SS Regt. that was knocked out in Normandy and modeled it after that one except for a couple side skirts. Thanks, Brent B.
Unread 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #26
Brad

Looks like we are all screwed. The Dems are in control.
Unread 11-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #27
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

no, they have the majority but not the 60 requried for breaking a fillibuster; in addition, republican voting was estimated at -10% in many states.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #28
Brent B.
User

It'll be intersting to see what this election will do to gun prices. The $800 pistol you have on GunBroker may soon be worth well over $1,000. Brent B.
Unread 11-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #29
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

i just wrote this on the main gunboards; most of it does not apply here (first couple of lines)
Quote:
I can't beleive that Americans would say some of the things that a few of you said. Obviously, you guys never "served" your country and if you did, you are breaking an oath. Once in office, he is the President and the Commander in chief, you don't like it, leave our country or legally battle what you don't agree with. Its still the greatest country on the earth (no offense to those others from europe, etc, I like them too), but damn it; support our country, vote, write letters, don't bitch and moan and talk like some kind of puffy who'll crawl into a hole and drop out because a man you don't like is in the Presidency.

Do something about it, legally and within our framework.
As I said, most of this does not pertain here, as the gunboards guys were talking pretty radical stuff. But with possibly 10% of the republicans not voting; that is what hurt us in the election.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #30
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

A longer term effort by the current President-elect will be to install Supreme Court judges, when the opportunity arises, that will not be conservative, particularly with respect to our Second Amendment rights.

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #31
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I keep hearing this, but until a Supreme Court Judge decides to retire, this is a moot point. And EVERY sitting president tries to put in judges that appeal to their beliefs???

I'll quit watching the forum today, you guys wear me out with 'what ifs"
Unread 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #32
Heinz
User

Ed, here is the oath I took as a civil servant:
Oath
I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

5 U.S.C. �§3331

And our personal motto "We be here when they came. We be here when they gone"
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #33
Jesse
User

Default Re: Obama and guns

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent B.
I was having coffee at the local watering hole this morning and one of the guys mentioned that he had heard that Obama would try to make things very hard to purchase/sell rifles, pistols, etc.. I haven't heard of anything like this so far in the campaign and was wondering if anyone else had heard it.

Thanks, Brent B.
Sad to say the "assault" has already started "HR6257" has been introduced and in subcommitee in the house. it's a very nast bit of work.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #34
rolandtg
User

Default Re: Re: Obama and guns

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse
Sad to say the "assault" has already started "HR6257" has been introduced and in subcommitee in the house. it's a very nast bit of work.
Yeah and just who is sponsoring this bill?

Five Republicans!

rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #35
Ron Smith
User

"fuzzy headed foreigner" "IT"

A point to ponder.

I am of Irish and Cherokee decent on my Father's side. Scotch-Irish and Dutch on my Mother's side.

This was a very common image 100 years ago. I nor anyone else of Irish decent could have found a job to support our families, out side of digging ditches or dunging horse stalls for pocket change. I try not to forget my heritage, or how it was, or still could be.

"Redheaded Foreiners"

I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #36
Tomathvl
User

Ron,
Good point that reminds me of when I was growing up in NY City and dating my first wife. Her mother and father were from Ireland and lived across the street from an Italian family that had the grandmother from Italy living with them. Every time my ex MIL saw the little old Italian grandmother she'd contemptuously say in her strong Irish brogue "Look at the filthy foreigner" Since I was dating her daughter I didn't say anything.
Of course my father was from Ireland and he was a bigot of the highest order.
Tom
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #37
Rod WMG
User

Just think how high the feelings would run if Obama weren't only half black.

And I hope everyone recognizes that as sarcasm. Bigotry is alive and well among the many races of the U. S.. When I was growing up almost everyone I knew was openly bigoted, especially my parents' generation. My parents were less so than most, but not unaffected. As I've stated before, Jim Crow laws were in effect. For one example, water fountains in the courthouse were marked "white" and "colored." A black woman told my wife a few years ago that she wondered as a child what "white water" tasted like. Thank God those days are over and things are somewhat better.

But, living as I do where "whites" are very much in the minority, I have recognized times when I've been discriminated against. Pretty minor for the most part, but not non-existent. And, though much less overt than before, white feelings against other races still exist among people I come into contact with.

Race was a major factor in black voters' support for Obama, as testimony bears out. And some white voters said it was "time a black person were President." Fuzzy thinking on both sides in my view, but inevitable, I suppose. The issues and policies should have been the deciding factors. Just as bad was the likely effect of McCain's age and lack of hair on the voters, IMO.

People are panicky over this election--those on our side, at least. Gloom, despair, and panic buying of guns, ammo, etc. are in evidence. Let's hope and pray not so common sense prevails.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #38
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I don't find buying guns and ammo right now to be outside the realm of common sense.
Although the new administration will tackle economic issus first, the new gun and ammo legislation will not be far behind.
I believe anybody with the means who does not pick up what they need or want now will come to regret this sooner rather than later.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #39
waltherguy
User

Well..... I guess based on the words of our President elect I am just another "Typical White Person" and I have to "Cling to my Guns & Religion" ... The Myan calendar prediction is getting scarier with each day :-(
Unread 11-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #40
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Anybody still think its no time to buy guns and ammo?

FRom the President Elect's own website;

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote