LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 04-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #41
policeluger
RIP

Jerry is 100% right on...Matt how many armed and killing mad men have you jumped, while mind you, unarmed?
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #42
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Look for changes in Ebay

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/new...ol9jro0&src=ap
Unread 04-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #43
383 magnum
User

I have never jumped on any armed madmen but that was not the point of my post. I was suggesting a hypothetical situation of a "what if?" That was Cooper's theory, but whether I would fight back, as I said in my previous post, I have no idea. Like Jerry, I would pray for courage.
I do know this. Anyone who would gun down helpless people is the worst example of a coward who would not stand a chance on a level playing field.
Jerry, your example of armed guards makes me think of a scene in "Band of Brothers." where Maj. Winters removes all but one round from a trigger-happy soldier's M1 after he was assigned to lead some POWs back to base, telling him that if he shoots one prisoner, the others will jump him.
383 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #44
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Cooper was right about many things and I was a big fan. I believe he advocated having a plan before a crisis arose. Think of how to defend your space. Most people do not think about an intruder in their home for instance and what would they do if this were to happen. Age plays a part in this kind of thinking..Today's news, an 84 year old past Miss America shot out the tires of some fellow who was trespassing on her property. Spunky gal with a plan and a .38! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #45
Jack Lawman
User

Default Cooperisms

Quote:
Originally posted by lugerholsterrepair
I believe he advocated having a plan before a crisis arose.
Here's some good Cooperism (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper_(colonel) ):

Combat Mindset - The Cooper Color Code

The most important means of surviving a lethal confrontation is, according to Cooper, neither the weapon nor the martial skills. The primary tool is the combat mindset, set forth in Principles of Personal Defense.

In the chapter on awareness, Cooper presents an adaptation of the Marine Corps system to differentiate states of readiness:

White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." You are simply aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to SHOOT today." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six". In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep.

Orange - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has gotten your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot HIM today." In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that goblin does "x", I will need to stop him." Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red - Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger has been "tripped" (established back in Condition Orange). You take appropriate action.

The U.S.M.C. also uses "Condition Black" as actively engaged in combat, as do some of his successors, but Cooper always felt this is an unnecessary step and not in keeping with the mindset definitions.

Also note that the Color Code was never meant to be a warning system. Rather, the Color Code was designed to be a mental crutch. It was designed to allow someone to "get over" the resistance that a normal person has in pointing a pistol at the center of someone's chest and pulling the trigger.

In short, the Color Code helps you "think" in a fight. As the level of danger increases, your resistance to shoot decreases. If you ever do go to Condition Red, the decision to use lethal force has already been made (your "mental trigger" has been tripped).
Unread 04-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #46
pipeman45
User

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by lugerholsterrepair

Today's news, an 84 year old past Miss America shot out the tires of some fellow who was trespassing on her property. Spunky gal with a plan and a .38! Jerry Burney
There is that old saying: Don't mess with Texas.
May I add: Be polite to little old ladies in Kentucky!
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #47
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I have a condition I call hide and evade. I stay out of big cities unless absolutely necessary and reside in small towns where the threat is minimal. Of course you never know when something could happen. There is less likelyhood of it happening where there are fewer people.

Jack, Always good to have a defensive mindset for sure.

David, Like the fellow on a cruiseship tour that killed a young attacker with his bare hands...Self defense is a God given right and protecting you and yours a serious responsibility. The more cognizant you are of your surroundings the better off you will be.
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #48
HerbZ
User

Jerry,

Maybe not in the American Southwest yet, but in many other parts of Our Nation crime has flowed out into the suburbs and into the small towns and rural areas. It sure has around here in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. If you haven't heard about all the "meth labs in rural America," just google that phrase and see! And it's not just the crime that comes with them, a meth lab is like an explosive toxic dump. If your local police and fire departments don't have hazmat training and equipment, they can't safely make the bust when they find these labs. But then the drug problem and its spread is just another symptom, not one of the root causes of the decadence, moral degeneracy and madness going on in Our Nation.

If I may poke a finger in it, I believe it's a matter of values. Civilizations, cultures, and nations rise and fall because of a lot of different factors, but their values, what motivates people and shape their lives, is a big part of it. If I may take a kick at what's become popularly known in political circles as the "blame game," I lay the blame where it always belongs, at the top. Like a lot of things, civilizations and nations rot from the top down.
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #49
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Values have disappeared, like "Made in America."

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #50
HerbZ
User

David,

Precisely! Too many people want the cheapest tool that can do the job, more than they want to pay more money for a better tool made in America. And don't nobody try giving us any of that Global Economy bovine excrement. Go ask the folks in Rochester, New York how much film Kodak was ever able to sell in Japan to compete with Fuji Film.

It's not like Kodachrome was too big, too heavy, and got really poor gas mileage or something like that. It's still one of the best films that was ever made, is still made, and is one of the reasons I still hang onto 35 mm photography, even though 90% plus of the photographs I take are digital. And Kodak's history of trying to do business abroad is just one of many stories...

BTW, the elderly lady in Kentucky who defended her property with a .38 Special was shooting a snub nose when she shot out several tires on the thief's car. I saw video of her and the pistol today on the local news from Cincinnati that we get here by cable. It was hard to ID precisely what it was she had there, but it looked about the size of a K frame S&W with a 2" barrel.