LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
FirstUSCavalry
User

Default New Load for 9mm Parabellum

I was having a terrible time finding ammunition for my Luger that was consistent, without feeding problems. When I purchased my P08 three years ago, I would use Sellier & Bellot 124 grain 9mm Parabellum ammunition. It worked great, then after purchasing more of the same but a different lot, the ammunition stovepiped and misfed too often. I contacted S&B. The company appeared interested in solving the problem and asked for the lot number of the ammunition and then pictures. Apparently, the company wasn't really interested in addressing the issue, because they never followed up after their initial reply and me giving them the information they requested.
After that I used Fiocchi 124 grain 9mm ammunition with mixed results.
Lawman with the 124 grain TMJ was consistently good, but the availability was spotty at best because of last years "annual Obama is going to take your guns" panic sale. Doesn't matter what your political views are, but the fact is that ammunition was very difficult to get for a while and is still difficult to get in some calibers. Anyway back to topic.
Yesterday I shot 100 rounds of handloaded ammunition without a stovepipe or misfeed. The load components were new Starline brass, CCI primer, 4.3 grains of Winchester WSF, and a 124 grain Rainier copper plated bullets. I used the Lee Deluxe dies, including the failsafe crimp die. Total round length was 1.169.
I would be interested if someone else would share a favorite handload.
FirstUSCavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to FirstUSCavalry for your post:
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstUSCavalry View Post
I was having a terrible time finding ammunition for my Luger that was consistent, without feeding problems. When I purchased my P08 three years ago, I would use Sellier & Bellot 124 grain 9mm Parabellum ammunition. It worked great, then after purchasing more of the same but a different lot, the ammunition stovepiped and misfed too often. I contacted S&B. The company appeared interested in solving the problem and asked for the lot number of the ammunition and then pictures. Apparently, the company wasn't really interested in addressing the issue, because they never followed up after their initial reply and me giving them the information they requested.
After that I used Fiocchi 124 grain 9mm ammunition with mixed results.
Lawman with the 124 grain TMJ was consistently good, but the availability was spotty at best because of last years "annual Obama is going to take your guns" panic sale. Doesn't matter what your political views are, but the fact is that ammunition was very difficult to get for a while and is still difficult to get in some calibers. Anyway back to topic.
Yesterday I shot 100 rounds of handloaded ammunition without a stovepipe or misfeed. The load components were new Starline brass, CCI primer, 4.3 grains of Winchester WSF, and a 124 grain Rainier copper plated bullets. I used the Lee Deluxe dies, including the failsafe crimp die. Total round length was 1.169.
I would be interested if someone else would share a favorite handload.
Hi,

You are in luck, as this topic has just recently been discussed.

Check the thread, about 12 down from this one, enitled "Reloading 9MM for P-08".

You will find some good tips there.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 02-08-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Here's the direct link to Sieger's load data post (referenced above):

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31849

I have also used Hodgon TiteGroup powder (3.8gn) with 125gn Truncated Lead Conical Nose Lead bullets to good effect.

Their load data for a variety of bullets and their powders (if I could only find some locally) is at:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Finally, I'll assume that you've maintained and cleaned your Luger prior to sessions with the ammo you're having difficulty with, and that the pistol has adequate handhold support during firing. Both of these things can interfere with proper Luger cycling with any ammo.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
FirstUSCavalry
User

Thanks for the information. I always thoroughly clean my weapons after use, as I was taught in the military, and my P08 is in fine shape. I'll take a look at the links, though.
The Rainier copper plated bullets are truncated.
On another note, I had dinner last night with a business colleague at Islamorada Fish Company adjacent to Bass Pro Shop. The powder shelves in their reloading section were empty.
Can you believe what some people were asking for primers and powder on Gunbroker?
FirstUSCavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to FirstUSCavalry for your post: