LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-25-2002, 11:43 PM   #1
oprod

Default snail drum dissassembly

I have recently aquired a snail drum, most of the finish is missing. very light rust pitting in some areas. Anyways i would like to open the drum up for a good cleaning. do i take the screw that removes the handle out only and then remove the handle... it is rusted on at the oment... or do i take off both screws and the handle before poping the top off. this unit has the handle that folds out of the way.Are there any sites that have dissassembly pictures? Can anyone provide me info on reloading one of these babys? The crank is almighty hard due to spring tension... i question if it should be real hard or if perhaps something has gone ary inside. any info appreciated.

Unread 03-26-2002, 12:12 AM   #2
Doug
User

Default A little advise

Don't take it apart unless you have to! I know from experience. If you do you must remove the winding knob and a screw type pin at the base of the mag. Once these are out you can open it up be careful of the main spring as it can fly out. Do not take out the front screw or try to open the enclosed spring, as you will never get it back together. I have not tried but have it on good source that you shouldn't. Once you put it back together wind the crank back until it reaches the catch. It's the little keyway, then push down the plunger and it will hold the spring tight. Loading is not fun and you will probably only get 20 or so in if you try hard and cuss allot. Tom Heller has repro loading tools for $450 or so. It sounds like allot but they are well made and enable you to actually use your mag. Email me if you still have questions.

Unread 03-26-2002, 03:04 PM   #3
Charlie Adams

Default Re: snail drum dissassembly

Pull off small screw with nut and large sloted screw (leave handle loaded) comes apart real easy Charlie