LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Ice
User

Default Sad case holster

Please don't flame me on this. My questions are only asked for learning more about leather repair and what can be done. I hope that Jerry Burney will offer his thoughts but would not blame him if he chose not to.

I got this holster years ago when I was just starting out collecting stuff. Found it the other day and wondered if this thing is even repairable. I know that miracles can be done with enough time and money but don't think this is worth it.

Please don't be too hard on me.

Also, what is the piece of leather for in the middle of the belt loops (where the yellow pencil points)?

Thanks

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lh001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	6672  

Name:	lh002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	6673  

Name:	lh003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	6674  

Name:	lh004.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	6675  

Name:	lh005.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	6676  

Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Mauser720
User

On this Forum, the person you want to get to help you with the repairs is Jerry Burney, Lugerholsterrepair. He will do a perfect job for you.

Mauser720 - Ron
Mauser720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Ice
User

Thank you, Ron. What I'm hoping that Jerry will outline the repair steps. However I realize that he might/probably consider this giving away trade secrets. Couldn't ask him to do that unless he wanted to talk. Jerry's fine work is legendary, at least among Luger fanciers.

I would settle to know what the tab between the belt loops is (yellow pencil) though more info would be super.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Charlie, The holster IS restorable. I say this because the body and top are in good shape. The many small parts that are needed can be made & installed. If the body or magazine pouch is bad it is generally not worth the effort or cost because you will not end up with a good holster even with new small parts.
There are no real trade secrets involved here..You just have to be meticulous about what you do and make it just as the Germans would have when they made the holster. The correct color and diameter linen thread. Correct thickness of the leather parts you make, correct color. It all adds up that anything new blends into the holster & looks correct.
Should a holster like this be restored? That all comes down to what type of collector you are.
A complete restoration like this can be relatively expensive. The worst part is the destroyed interior tool pouch. To remove this one and all the old thread, carefully make a new one, hand cut each and every stitching hole to fit exactly..dye it, form it..hammer off an original closure stud from a scrap pouch and hammer it back on the new and sew it all into the holster so that the tool fits into it would run $65.00 It might not seem like much of a job but try it sometime. It's more complicated than you might think.
So... you add all the things together that need fixing on this holster and unless it had some very rare marks or was matching to a pistol or had sentimental value I would recommend against restoration on this one. Sell it for whatever you can get and buy another holster that is in better shape. Police holsters sell for less than Militaries and can be a bargain.
There is no telling what the small tab sewn between the belt loops is. If there were two of them I would say it might be for a shoulder strap. One and I can't say unless it was once for a strap that came over the top of the holster for some reason.
Hope this helps!

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Ice
User

Jerry, many thanks. PM for you.