LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default June 06, 1944

Let us give a prayer and thanks for those who went in over those beaches and for those who stayed there.

May they not be forgotten.
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

July 12-13 & 14, I will be providing logistical support to the 9th Infantry Division Association 66th Annual Reunion in New Orleans...

It is my late father's old outfit... just some of the boys who hit those beaches that are still alive and kicking, (and their extended families)

... a testament to just how tough those young men were who participated in the beachhead, and survived the invasion and acted as the Allied fulcrum to the defeat of Germany in 1945...

For those who have no idea... we are losing our WW2 veterans at the rate of 1200 to 1800 a day...

Heroes... every one!

(The graphic below includes some of the units that were part of the 9th Infantry during service in Vietnam...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reliables.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	19468  

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
donmor53
User

Amen brother...

A salute to those that served and a prayer for those and families of those that gave it all for the people of this country.
donmor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
WG dog
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The tour of the cemetery and other links are worth a look.

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/no.php
WG dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,530 Times in 943 Posts

I do military funerals with the local Legion. Amazing how rapidly we are losing these treasures. They were and are special. Bill
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

We are all speaking ENGLISH because of those young men and women. I don't know how any of us can really thank them enough for what they did for us, and this great country of ours.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Godsheart
New User

Thumbs up Grandfathers Luger, Year & potential value?

Hello I have been given a Military Luger by my father. I believe from my purusing of the website and friends suggestions. It truly would be helpful if any one has the time to help me find out more and know the history and worth associated with this peice of history" that would be great. My Grandfather 1st Sargent George Compo faught at several engagements and assured us of the capture of 3 lugers during the Battle of the Bulge. The One I have is in fairly clean and operable condition Gramps fired it a few times over the years. Anyhow I wrote down the answers from the Luger info & specs worksheet from 1 to13 and here they are as follows1: Toggle inscription S/42 -25
2: G
3:Toggle knob Knurled
4:Grip safety Present
5:Stock Lug Yes
6:9MM
7: Guess walnut
8:Safe on in rear position
9-10:upper reciever serial # 6325 Number 25 stamped on all other peices, behind safety decocking lever is written Gesichert, barrel and trigger guard have matching serial number # 6325 as well, Trigger guard has a cursive Letter G" Barrel has a symbol and text as stamped w154 -s/92 with a symbol of a bagminton birdie sorta
11: #25
12Standard peep site, front site has lined groves cut on trailing side
13:Mag has a visible spring left of the round knub wheel is a marking of "FXO and below and is marked 37 possible 25? Right of wheel is stamped PO8

Condition, estimate 1: See above to determine 2:85% 3:90% 4:clean 5: cleanable for sure 6:yes 7: no? 8:Leather shoulder holster. 9:Functional and fires fine.

I look forward to someone helping me determine more about the history and knowledge of this weapon and value to safe guard its up keep,, My email is Damiensdoor@yahoo.com I will log on to see if anyone has responded to my post,, Im new to forums and appreciate any assistance,, my email is the quickest way of contact , Ill take some photos soon or I can text them with my phone to you quicker"

Have a blessed Day,, Truly Damien
Godsheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
MikeP
User

I hate saying this, but the thread was about honoring the guys who offered up and sarificed their lives n liberating Europe.
How much your grandfather's luger is worth belongs someplace else.
A bit of sensitivity and situational awareness is in order.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to MikeP for your post: