LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
Topper265
User

Default Looking for education

I'm sure you guys get a lot of these now a days. My Grandfather passed and left me his Luger from WWII. I would like to find out how much it is worth for insurance purposes.

From what little I know about Lugers it's a 1937, it has all matching serial numbers; 9039 and 39 on all the smaller parts including the inside of the grips. The Clip serial number does not match but the holster has both the clip tool and the cleaning rod. There are even some swabs jammed in the bottom of the holster.

I have uploaded some pictures. Please let me know what other pictures might help.

The Makers Marks

Front

Top (the flash made the extractor really red, there is no rust on the gun at all)

And the holster the number stamped inside is 115 with something that might be an "M" or even a German type Eagle. I can't tell

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.
Topper265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Wayne, welcome to the forum! You have a nice looking strawed (later in the year they went to blued parts) mauser made in 1937 luger in 9mm. If the strawing is a result of flash and those small parts, trigger, safety lever, etc are blued, then that is acceptable to. I would have to look in my book to ascertain if your serial number is within the "normal" range.

We' like to see close ups of the markings on the holster, an eagle M would make this worn holster worth a bit more than normal.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Topper265
User

Thanks Ed. I took a macro of the inside holster marks;

Actually, now that I look at it in macro, the letters might just be a big "N" and a small "o" for Number?

The flash completely wipes it out but to the naked eye it is a lot darker.

There is also some fine lettering stamped into the back of the holster that I have not been able photograph. I'm going to have to take it down to my friends studio to get any sort of usable image.

It's;

OST JAHNEL
ESLAU

With maybe 1940 stamped below it? The "date" is considerably lighter stamped then the other letters and is not set with the letters above. Which to me says it was not stamped at the same time or maybe somewhere down the manufacturing line??

The back of the holster also has my Grandfathers last name scratched into it with some other information I'm assuming is how he identified it and got it home. We had some similar processes when I was in the military but I never got to take any weapons home
Unread 01-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Wayne
Your holster was manufactured by Frost Jahnel, Breslau. The luger looks like blued not strawed to me. Either one can be correct depending on serial number. I have trouble with some serial number suffix's your looks like a w to me. If so blued small parts is correct. The letters and number inside the holster could be Navy? Someone else will need to answer that. The date could well be 1940. There also should be a WaA 182 somewhere in the area of the date. Nice looking luger. Without the gun in hand price estimates are difficult. For insurance purposes I would use $2000. Nice looking luger. Welcome to the Forum. Bill
Unread 01-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Topper265
User

Ahh yes now I see more of the lettering. It gets pretty faint. There is something under the 1940 and one number is in 8. Any suggestions on how to bring out the data without harming the holster (any more than is already is)?

I'm not really sure how to differenciate between strawed or blued. All my weapons are blued or a later technology. I don't think I've ever seen "strawed".

My local gun shop guy told me it was probably in the $2k range but pointed me to your fourm for a better idea.
Unread 01-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Strawed means some of the small parts such as the takedown lever and the safety lever are straw colored vs being blued. It was a heat process that ceased in 1937. They have to be either blued or strawed. Sometimes baby powder put over the markings and blown off will leave enough powder in the markings to be legible. Many times it is so worn from belts etc they will never be read. Your holster by Frost etc. was according to my references only assigned WaA182. If we can be any help just ask. Bill
Unread 01-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Herr Topper..If you are trying to ascertain a TRUE value I believe $2000 is somewhat over the top in today's market. This pistol is fairly common and the condition of the holster is a little rough for a top collectable. Please don't get me wrong..I am not running down your fine Luger ensemble. Just that we can get carried away and bandy about prices that may be unrealistic to insurance companies or others.

What is not common is the gift given to you by your Grandfather. Truly something to treasure...

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Topper265
User

I agree but I think $2000 is a good insurance figure.

And yes it is an amazing gift from my Grandfather. I also have his war diary and a number of other items. I'm still trying to figure out form his diary where he actually got the luger but it's a fun bit of detective work.
Unread 01-31-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Jerry is probably right that $2000 is on the high side. Right now I have a hard time estimating value. If I look at Simpsons lugers $2000 is low. But they are always high.I think the market is going slightly downward with the economy.If nothing else fewer buyers lowers the price. For insurance purposes I usually go to the high side. Then I can leave it alone for a couple years. Hopefully others will respond with their ideas. Bill
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
alvin
User

One trend in today's market is high-end guns are going down, but low-end guns are going up! I went to a local gun store recently and saw unissued Yugoslavian SKS are now $400. Back not long ago, it was just a little more than $100. Even used Yugo with bigger CAI importer mark is now above $200, guns in similar condition was $80-90 two years ago.

From pure money point of view, current market trend is "penny stocks" outperform "blue chips"
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Topper265
User

Default Stolen

I should have posted this a while ago but I couldn't find the site.

My Luger was stolen last May. a-holes broke into my house, pried open my gun cabinet (has been replace with a full safe) with my freakin tools from my garage and took the luger, a 22 pistol and two rifles.

If anyone sees my luger please contact the Snohomish County Sherriff's Department at 425-388-3411 or 1-800-562-4367 case number 1005722

Thanks
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

oh, that sucks....

I should have asked then, but do you have any story on the luger? Although stolen, if you have some provenance (stories he told, letters, etc, paperwork on the luger); I would love to add it to my Vol III of Veteran Bring Backs (Vol II is published and will be in the states by mid June or earlier).

email me if interested, we could have your name, grandfathers name, etc and also that it was stolen...

weimar_lugers@verizon.net

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Wayne,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost this heirloom.

Rest assured that if it shows up on this forum, it will be reported.

The serial number of your Luger includes the script letter that is under the
"9039" on the front of the frame. I can't exactly make it out, but the photo looks like the letter is a "w". If that's true, your Luger is serial "9039w" and the police department should be told that information.

Also, the serial numbers were repeated over the years. Therefore it's also significant that this serial is on a gun made in 1937.

I hope that they catch the thieves and that you get this restored to you.

Marc
Unread 05-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
Topper265
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
oh, that sucks....

I should have asked then, but do you have any story on the luger? Although stolen, if you have some provenance (stories he told, letters, etc, paperwork on the luger); I would love to add it to my Vol III of Veteran Bring Backs (Vol II is published and will be in the states by mid June or earlier).

email me if interested, we could have your name, grandfathers name, etc and also that it was stolen...

weimar_lugers@verizon.net

Ed
Yes I did have my Grandfathers War Diary but unfortunately it was in a box with a number of other war trinkets including a couple handfuls of old foreign coins so of course they took the entire box. The coins are worth maybe $1......

I know he took it off an officer and the diary briefly mentions "a trophy" picked up at such and such but I don't recall exactly where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Wayne,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost this heirloom.

Rest assured that if it shows up on this forum, it will be reported.

The serial number of your Luger includes the script letter that is under the
"9039" on the front of the frame. I can't exactly make it out, but the photo looks like the letter is a "w". If that's true, your Luger is serial "9039w" and the police department should be told that information.

Also, the serial numbers were repeated over the years. Therefore it's also significant that this serial is on a gun made in 1937.

I hope that they catch the thieves and that you get this restored to you.

Marc
I did include the "w" and I photograph all of my weapons and superimpose the make/model and serial number on the image. I gave print outs to the Deputies.

I guess the good news is the two scumbags were arrested and in jail 23 hours after the robbery. The court date for sucmbag #1 is June 20th. You can bet I'll be there!

The real sickening thing is all four firearms, my $1200 dive watch and roughly $2000 in miscellaneous stuff were all fenced for 8, count em 8 oxycodone pills. I f-in hate druggies