LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-17-2021, 11:19 PM   #21
Pistol
User

Poor grammar and punctuation can be annoying, but what gets me are those that don't know history or simple math.

Just watch one of those shows where the reporter hits the streets to ask questions a first grader could answer.
Many don't know the difference between WWII and the Civil War. Some can't identify a photo of Thomas Jefferson.

Here are two videos from a few years back. Funny, but at the same time it is pathetic and sad. Welcome to the new America, well, at least we have another federal holiday ...... Happy Juneteenth!

https://youtu.be/oUTyRPB7AlU

https://youtu.be/dDu_rEo74i4
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Pistol for your post:
Unread 06-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #22
Eugen
User

Ron, good point about annoying misuse of words. One butchered cliché that I find amusing, is when folks say, "I could care less", when they really mean the opposite. That is they "couldn't care less". LOL
The following 4 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 06-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #23
SteveM
User

What really irritates me is someone quoting the second amendment using "bare arms" instead of "bear arms". They must be thinking it can't be bear cuz that's a four legged animal.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to SteveM for your post:
Unread 06-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #24
Bill_in_VA
User

I kind of like it when a pretty girl says “bare with me”; it means I might get lucky. :-D
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Bill_in_VA for your post:
Unread 06-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #25
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
Poor grammar and punctuation can be annoying, but what gets me are those that don't know history or simple math.

Just watch one of those shows where the reporter hits the streets to ask questions a first grader could answer.
Many don't know the difference between WWII and the Civil War. Some can't identify a photo of Thomas Jefferson.

Here are two videos from a few years back. Funny, but at the same time it is pathetic and sad. Welcome to the new America, well, at least we have another federal holiday ...... Happy Juneteenth!

https://youtu.be/oUTyRPB7AlU

https://youtu.be/dDu_rEo74i4
I remember years ago Jay Leno doing his skit of asking people on the street random basic history questions. Going up to a stereotypical surfer dude and asking "when was the War of 1812?", his response "Dude, I don't even know!"
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #26
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

A mute trumpet sounding retreat after loss of a battle is moot testament to the valor of the fallen.

The curious carpenter picked up his hammer and saw!

When I moved to the South, I always wondered what was meant by, "I'll get up with you later"...

- - - -

The multiple meaning of same or similar sounding words has always kept language "living" as people either play with the words, or unintentionally confuse them. English is full of examples over time. So are other languages like German, which evolved into old English. (corrected per below)

Words like "irregardless" have made their way into language in my area, including a cafe by that name.

Language is living. My state (ranging from coastal Gullah communities to the Scotch-Irish roots of the mountain folk, has a huge range of accents and language usage.

I try to use language correctly, but am sometimes amused by what I hear from time to time...

When I was helping produce television, we had a program on regional accents in our state. The production process includes closed captioning for hearing impaired, which is done by hand by people with court reporting skills. The caption files for this program didn't come back on schedule, and the caption encoder finally called us and asked us never to send a program like this one to him again... We finally got the files, but it was difficult.

The correct interpretation of similar sounding words is a real challenge in automated voice recognition. Much of the artificial intelligence used in modern systems chews up processing power on this problem.
Unread 06-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #27
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
So are other languages like German, which is based in old English.
Quite the opposite; English evolved from German.

"English is a West Germanic language that originated from Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain in the mid 5th to 7th centuries AD by Anglo-Saxon migrants from what is now northwest Germany, southern Denmark and the Netherlands. ... The Late West Saxon dialect eventually became dominant."

Only one King in Britain is called "Great" and that was King Alfred the Great who likely kept the English language from extinction. He insisted that court affairs and education be conducted in English rather than Latin.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 06-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #28
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

On Grammar...
Attached Images

George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 06-18-2021, 02:52 PM   #29
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

On grammar police.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to spangy for your post: