LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
Fla.Mallard
User

Default Best Stainless Luger Clone

I'm not very familiar with the Luger clones. I want a shooter and I don't want to use any of my all-matching genuine Lugers.

I thought I could get a clone and use/abuse it as a shooter.

Is there one that has been shown to be more reliable with fewer malfunctions?
Fla.Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Bill_in_VA
User

Have you considered a nickle plated original? They can often be found quite reasonably priced, plus you aren't fighting reliability issues with the clones
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Bill_in_VA for your post:
Unread 05-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Bigshooter
New User

I have a Mitchell Arms dated 1993, It shoots great. I do however recommend not using the very pretty stainless mags that come with it. They have flimsy feed lips. An after market mag has it operating very well.
Bigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Bigshooter for your post:
Unread 05-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Get a shooter grade P08 and forget about the stainless ones.

Alternatively, you could consider a Mauser Parabellum from the 1970s, although these have become collectable as well.

My 'shooter' was a restored 1937 Mauser with an East-German barrel. Pretty gun, technically sound but not in the collectable class.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 05-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #5
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

I have to agree with Bill & Vlim; get a shooter grade original and forget the stainless copies. Every stainless Luger I've examined left a lot to be desired in the fit and finish category. I've yet to see one that I'd own.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 05-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

They were apparently branded to several different distributors in succession, as well as By Aimco itself. I have only owned one, but my impression from comparing stuff presented online is that different brands may have been specified as to fit and finish differently. What you want to avoid are the ones that were over-buffed to have wavy surfaces that should be flat, and a lot of rounded corners that should be sharp.

Mine had an issue with extraction that deformed the brass. Each empty was slammed against an edge on the inside left of the upper. I was able to take the bias out of the process by dressing the claws of the extractor with a diamond needle file to be symmetrical.

Its frame ears where the toggle strikes it were spalled a bit by previous use. This was not unexpected, per their reputation. Trued with a file, they looked good again, and the raw stainless is easy as pie to blend back in--as opposed to one with an actual finish. Stainless steel's application to firearms construction improved throughout, and the later-made ones may have fewer problems like this.

The ejector had been sanded too thin when it was made and was bent. Nor was it as hard as it should have been. An original Luger ejector filled in OK, but generally parts interchangeability is a crap-shoot. Parts are easier to obtain for originals.

I bought mine for its quaintness and didn't expect much in the way of art-level metal work or even performance. It was fun to mess with for a while, then I passed it on to another collector, who would go on to solve another issue or two with it. Some may run fine and might continue to do so, but unless you want to sign up for something that might turn out to be more a project than anything else, then buy anything else.
Unread 05-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

My shooter Luger is a 1937 Mauser made Luger with a bad case of "road rash" on one side. It's all matching, fitted at the factory, and is mechanically excellent. A Mauser Luger that is matching but not in collectible state would be my choice, followed by a Luger made from a complete matching frame and a complete matching canon assembly (receiver / barrel / toggle) from another donor gun.

Another option would be an armory fitted Russian Capture / VoPo pistol. Some of these are even all matching pistols that have been refinished and marked, sometimes with replacement grips.

I personally have no interest in the stainless Lugers because of the metallurgy and other issues that are mentioned above.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
Fla.Mallard
User

Thanks to all for your responses. Needless to say, you have changed my mind and now I'll look for a mismatched genuine Luger shooter.
Fla.Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Fla.Mallard for your post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla.Mallard View Post
Thanks to all for your responses. Needless to say, you have changed my mind and now I'll look for a mismatched genuine Luger shooter.
Good decision.
The following 4 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: