LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
gsmith
New User

Default American Eagle mainspring

Gentlemen,
I am in need of an original mainspring for an American Eagle. There appears to be an aftermarket unit in it now and it will not allow the toggle to travel fully to the rear. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Gsmith
gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

These mainsprings are hard to come by... contact Lugerdoc (Tom Heller) in the Repairs forum... he may be able to help you...

I see it is your first post...Welcome to the Lugerforum...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
gsmith
New User

Thaks for the welcome and the info. I'll try him.
Thanks,
Gsmith
gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

John, Thanks for the referal, unfortunately, I've sold the 6 that I picked up a few months ago. TH
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Can anyone post a photo essay on the original flat mainspring used in early Luger pistols? I don't think we have ever had a good photo essay on these...

Even better, does anyone have a blueprint and specifications for the early Flat Mainspring? Perhaps if the specs were available, some enterprising hobby blacksmith type could produce some for a jingle in their pocket.

Perhaps someone who has a spare spring could lend it to me so I could produce the photo essay and possibly create a modern blueprint...

I encourage any member who can provide either quality photographs of this type of mainspring... or the blueprints, or lend me a spring long enough to make the photographs, to contact me either here in this thread or via Private Message...

How about Hugh Clark? are you listening Hugh? You are good with your camera, and I would wager you have at least one original spring in your gunsafe... even if it was being used... Can you take some good photos, perhaps with a machinist scale ruler in the photos for perspective? or how about Ron Wood? Got your ears on Ron?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

I have my ears on. I will dig out my spare and see if I can get some good pics.
Unread 05-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Great Ron!

In the meantime I have an iron in the fire for a possible source... Haven't used it in a while, but hopeful... I will report as soon as I hear from them.

Unread 05-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Hugh
RIP

I think that I have a 1900 that has a gunsmith made replacement that is a one piece spring. I'll see if I can dig it out and take pics.
Unread 05-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Gsmith, You might want to also check the "S" shaped connecting link attached to the rear toggle link to be sure that it is not a standard PO8 link (the M1900 is shorter) as this can cause the same problem and is a lot cheaper to replace. Lugerdoc
Unread 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks for that info Tom... I learn something every day on this forum, and I have been studying Lugers since the '50s ... I did not know that the connecting link was different between the two models... I will file that away for future reference...

Unread 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I regret to report that my "secret" source for parts did not have a flat mainspring in stock, and did not have a blueprint or specifications for their manufacture... if anyone does have the information, in ANY language, please let me know.

I have a personal friend who is a blacksmith, who might take on the challenge of producing these springs...

I have also contacted Paul Regnier in Switzerland, a recent addition to the Lugerforum membership, about whether or not he might have one of these springs available for purchase, AND if he has possession of the Swiss historical documents related to Luger manufactuer and service... Hopefully one of these attempts will produce the necessary information.

Contact me via PM or, in this thread if you can help this effort.

Unread 05-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Levallois
User

John,

I am by no means any kind of expert on these springs but I've been looking for a good one for my M1900. For those newbies like myself who are looking for one of these but didn't realize just how much one of these S--shaped mainsprings could get bent but still look "right" - please note that the spring that came with my pistol and one of the replacements that I found were shaped differently from the one that ultimately worked the action correctly. I don't know if these were bent through use or on purpose by people trying to get them to work? It would be good to keep this in mind, especially given how much people want for their used springs.

John L.
Levallois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Levallois

Thanks for the guidance. I am sure that it will help those who are looking for such a spring for their early model Luger...

STOP THE PRESSES! ( I have always wanted to say that!)
I have just received a response from Paul Regnier in Switzerland and there is good news and bad news...

The good news is that he has both original springs and reproduction springs in stock.

You can reach him through his website: http://www.luger-genesis.com

The bad news? They are not inexpensive...
Quote:
Hi John,
I have a spare spring of this type in stock.
Original spring 500.- SFR
Perfect Repro 300.- SFR
I'm happy to help you.
Best regards
Paul
For those of you who don't travel internationally... Google does a good job of currency conversion:

500 Swiss francs = 480.3535 U.S. dollars = 312.100253 Euros

300 Swiss francs = 288.2121 U.S. dollars = 187.260152 Euros

Unread 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

OK, I found my spare 1900 mainspring (and a little something extra). I will take some photos this evening and post them in a new thread.
That is a pretty hefty price for those Swiss mainsprings. They are pretty specialized and not a piece of cake to make, but that still seems like a premium price. Certainly glad I do not need one.
Ron
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #15
Hugh
RIP

Apparantly I have sold the pistol that had the one piece spring in it. I do remember that it worked fine, tho, so it may be possible to make them out of the correct thickness spring steel. But I'm not going to try it!!
Unread 05-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Spring specs in a new thread.

Here is the link to the new thread containing photos and discussion of the flat AE type mainspring.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...threadid=19517

Unread 05-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #17
jamese
User

John,
I have a 1900 (2 piece) spring, unfortunately one of the leafs are broken and some tried to repair it.

I would be happy to send it to someone who would like to dissect it and try to make reproductions.

I'm sure the cost would be a lot less than $480.

I guess the value of my 1900's just went up a lot

Let me know

Jim
Unread 05-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Jim... generous offer... check your PM's.