LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 02-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
CharlieXray
New User

Post Newbie here..... Need help with model and date

Hi All -

Before moving, our neighbor (older widow)gave me a Luger pistol, knowing I collect rifles. Now that we are settled in, I'm trying to identify it so I can sell it and pass the cash on to her (she has no idea of the value of firearms). First, I need to find out exactly what it is and how much it's worth. It's a commercial model. Here's what it looks like:

.30 cal, 3 inch barrel (typical barrel end with ridged sight).... never saw a 3" one listed in my research.

4 digit serial number 9065

All parts are matching (65) except magazine

DWM marked top of toggle, forward section of receiver is unmarked.

Stamps: Under barrel - Crowned N on bottom of serial number with script, lower case "l" below the number. Receiver - left side of receiver, crowned N, forward end of receiver has serial no and the script "l". There's an "A" stamped in the receiver located about 2:00 from the trigger opening on the left side, but it can only be seen with the side plate off.

"Made in Germany" is stamped on forward right side above the receiver ridge. The stamp is an afterthought, about 90% of the characters are evident, the bottom portion of the characters did not stamp into the material.

Toggle grips are flat and checkered, safety has lined ridges. Gesichert is stamped on receiver

Lanyard loop is on back of receiver.

Back side of grip has raised lug near magazine opening (for fastening to stock?).

The rifling is there, but not as crisp as it could be. Bluing is about 85%, rubbed off on the high spots, typical of holster wear. Grips seem original, but checkering is fading from use.

Ha, there are so many variations of Lugers it can really confuse a novice. If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it, not to mention the originanl owner when I show up with the cash.
CharlieXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Charlie I can answer a quick question, the barrel is probably the standard almost 4 inches, just use a pencil and dropped it down the unloaded gun, then measure the barrel, it should be just under 4 inches and therefor the "normal" length.

What you more than likely have in your hands is a WW1 rework, as the serial number with a military suffix and Crown N (commercial mark) and stamped Germany.

We'll get some more comments in a bit.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote