LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Jesse
User

Default 1937 S/42 Kar 98K

I found a sporterised 1937 K98 the was in pretty good shape, 98% blue bright bore, the barrel & receiver numbers matched and the bolt had all matching numbers. Both had Weimar eagles and waffen ampts so I guess the bolt was in the 36-38 date range.I figured it would be a good shooter and it matched one of my S/42 Lugers so I talked the guy down to $75 and bought it. I got home and striped it down to check everything out and found it didn't have any import marks or Russian "X"s. I wanted to restore it back to the original configuration so I ordered an early WWII stock and a few small missing parts . I realize it's not a collector because of the mismatched bolt and the stock but I wanted to get it as close as I can to what it was in WWII. Ok my questions are,

So far I have A k98 stock, cleaning rod, lock screws and sight hood. IS there anything else that I'm missing and far as small parts?

as fore appearancece,

The bolt is blued but the extractor is dark but almost looked like it had been strawed at some point. (what should the bolt look like? Blued,white steel, strawed parts,etc)

and finally the stock,
The stock I got was laminated, dirty and dry with no finish. It has a the early war flat butt cap and matching numbers near the disk and and under thbarrelle channel. I wanted to clean it up with out sanding so I used a little oil soap and then I put a thin coat of linseed oil. I noticed after I used the linseed oil a few e/swastikas showed up lined up behind the disk on the other side that I could not see before. Is there anyway of telling the maker of the stock and is there anyway of bring the proofs/cartouche out a little more and what is the best way of preserving them?

I've look on the net but can't really find any detailed History on K98s so I thought somebody here might know. Thanks for the help!!

Jesse

Last edited by Jesse; 02-15-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
alvin
User

Original "bnz" 98k has blued bolt, I bet "byf" 98k has blued bolt as well. Yugoslavian M48 has white steel bolt.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Herrmossy
User

The S/42 had a solid walnut stock with a flat buttplate. Both barrel bands should be milled with the upper band being in the "H" configuration. The correct upper and lower bands were WaA63 All k98 bolts were originally blued. Bayo lug will also be WaA63. Anything else you need just ask.
Herrmossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Steinar
User

Jesse, if you need any K98 parts I might have what you need. Just send me a PM
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Jesse
User

I'm on my way to getting the K98 restored, This is what I found out so far.

bbl and receiver are matching MO mid production 1937 (both weimar and nazi proof) 95% blue, no import marks, great bore!

The bolt is a early JP sauer (matching) sadly it has one of the shell guides broke off sometime in the past.

The stock is a MO laminated with flat butt cap. one person said it was a late 37-40. The bands are MO but they are miss matched. The stock is a capture stock (it has been renumbered ) but I don't think it's a RC because it has not been sanded,finished or blued.

I have a miss matched bayonet and a mo muzzle cover. the only thing that is repo is the leather strap.

I'm still looking for a good bolt (pre/early war MO and matching would be great!) And a proofed butt cap
Unread 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
mjones
User

Jesse,

It is possible that the bolt does not match the gun as many K98s as they were surrendured had the bolt removed and dropped in one pile and the gun in another. As GIs picked one out they didn't bother to look for the correct bolt for the individual rifle. Does your bolt match itself?

I have two is such condition a byf44 and a bcd4 both were vet bring backs and had bolts that were matching but not to the receiver and rest of the gun. The byf44 was similar to yours. It was sporterized. I found a correct stock and hard war using the Laws Backbone of the Wehrmacht as the book to insure the components were correct. That was some time ago and 30 or so K98s ago. I still use the same book as reference.

Mike
mjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Jesse
User

Mike ,

Thanks for the info! I now have the 98 restored. It seems that it may have been a GI bring back (the guy selling it said it was but you know how that is). The bbl, floor plate, follower, etc are all matching. the bolt it's self is all matching also just not to the rifle. The stock and it's hardware are not matching but all are around the correct time frame and everything on it's original WWII. I have a nice bayonet, original sling, muzzle cap and cleaning kit for it. The best part is it has me cost less than a RC!

I would still like to find a walnut stock with matching hardware.......