LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
craig16134
User

Question Recently inherited luger

I recently inherited my great grandfathers luger and I'm just recently learning about thier history. this firearm is in prestine condition at the least 98% mint. It has the DWM marking on top of the toggel and all the numbers match, even the wooden clipend. there is no date stamped anywhere on this firearm. It's chambered for the .30 caliber and has the gold colored triger, lock and clip release. I will post pics asap. My father insures me it is pre WWII, but Im sure I'll find out everything about it over the next several day's threw this site. Any info on value or history would be greatly helpful.
craig16134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
craig16134
User

sorry for not adding this first for I'm most excited about my newly aquired
ruger. The matching numbers 7482 through out the entire luger with a crown and the letter "N" under it.
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Craig,

Sounds like you have inherited something pretty nice. As you well suspected, pictures are going to be essential.

Question: Is 7482 the entire serial number, or is there a small cursive letter under the number? The small letters are actually part of the serial number.

The reason for the question is that 7482 is a very early serial number unless there is a letter associated with it. The difference is about 20 years...in .30 caliber it would have been made in 1900 without the letter; with the letter it would have been made around 1920. The puzzling part is the fact that the "clip" (magazine) has a serial number that matches the gun. Usually .30 caliber Lugers are Commercial models and the magazine is not numbered to the gun.

As you have promised, please post the pictures asap. We are on pins and needles here!
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
craig16134
User

Sorry for posting this in the wrong section for I surly belong in the newbie
section.

It has a letter "n" in cursive under the S#, but strangely enough the clip #
matches and has a letter "M" under a crown. the clip# is very hard to see
and by viewing many threads tonight I'm sure It's a 1920 commercial

My new hunting partner chewed the end off my camara cable so I wont be able to post pics tonight.... sorry... I'll pick up one tomorrow.

The condition of this ruger is amazing to me.. so many years and It looks brand new. Still the matching clip # is a head scratcher.

thanks
Craig
Unread 10-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
blayne
User

Craig, big difference in a ruger and a luger, and about 45 years too...

Sounds like a 1920's commerical, fairly common, but nice. It also sounds like someone matched up a magazine at some point, highly unlikely that it came from the factory with a wrong suffix... Also, the n and the m suffixes do look alike....

In the last 70+ years, it may have been refinished...

blayne
blayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
craig16134
User

blayne,

Sorry for the mistype my mistake.

After reviewing different threads and sites on how to tell if a firearm has been refinished I think this has the original finish. I have blued and re-blued several firearms in the past and there always remains certian areas
that,small that they may be,give the true story. They almost always are weapon distictive of area and any help on where to look on this luger would be appreciated

craig
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

This gun should be rust-blued instead of hot salt-blued, and the insides of the gun should still be in the white... this is not a guarantee, but a good indicator that the finish is original and not a refinish...

Welcome to the Lugerforum... please post photos as soon as you can for more comment...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Craig,
When you get your photo capability up and running, be sure to include a pic of the magazine bottom. A crown over an upper case M indicates a Navy Luger magazine, and it is just a coincidence that the number matches your gun (unless the magazine has been re-numbered - a photo should help to determine that). Thanks
Ron
Unread 10-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
craig16134
User

Ron,

It has been re-numbered by someone. After looking at it very closely they just stamped the number in with a ink stamp or somthing. I took some penatrating oil and rub it right off. you can slightly see the original #'s embeded in the wood. My gramps did some strange things, but that is a classic. It look's like 4894 and the other side of the mag. bottom does have a crown with a letter M under it. Is a navy magazine more rare than normal??

I promise pics ASAP

Craig
Unread 10-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Yes, Navy magazines, like Navy Lugers, are much less common than other military Lugers. In nice condition they command a substantial premium over "regular" magazines.
Unread 10-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #12
craig16134
User

Anyone,

Can you tell by looking at my pic's if this luger has been refinished or not???? And is this a true "navy" magazine??
Unread 10-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

In my opinion, your Luger is in fine condition and has not been refinished. The magazine lacks the concentric circles on the wooden base knobs that are usually associated with Navy magazines. However, the style of serial numbering and the appearance of the Crown/M proof looks like early First Issue Navy to me, and there are some authentic early Navy magazines that do not have concentric circles. I will let it to the Navy experts to tell me if I am right or wrong.
Unread 10-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
craig16134
User

Ron,

Thanks for the Info... I feel that this is a real shooter, and I'm really looking forward to shooting it this weekend. Is this advisable or will it weaken the value???

can't wait to hear from a navy expert about the magazine for I am willing to part with it under the right condtions.
Unread 10-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

A lot of Luger folks feel that a "real shooter" is a Luger that has minimal collector value and that collector Lugers should be preserved because they aren't easy to come by. Your Luger is very close to brand new in condition and is probably better than 90% of the 1920 Commercials in existance. There are also those folks that won't own a gun unless they can shoot it...and I can't argue with that position either. I will say that if you break a matching part while shooting it, it will never be a collector item again. It can go from a $1400-$1500 gun to a $500-$600 gun in an instant. But it is yours to do with as you wish. E-mail me at rwood1@elp.rr.com if you would like to let me know what the "right conditions" are for the sale of your magazine. Thanks
Ron
Unread 10-07-2006, 12:28 AM   #16
craig16134
User

Ron,

"Once again" thanks for the advice. I think I'll treat it as a collector because I know for a fact it has not had a round threw it since 1949,

that was the last time my father ever remembered it being shot.

Still waiting to hear more info on the mag. and how hard would it be to get a original mag???