LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 12-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Fredo
User

Default 06/29 special finish

dear Friends
Today I was at the "bourse aux armes in Lausanne Switzerland". Somebody offered me a 06/29 in very good condition. It looks so good that I'm feeling a bit unsafe. Are some 06/29 reblued? The S/N 74512 says that's it's a military version but I can't find any P marks telling me that it has been release for private use. Also, the Breechblock knobs ( I hope that 's the right name) are machined like in the 06/24. According to my litterature they are supposed to let unworked. I have to say that they are less machined then my 06/24. What is your opinnion?
thx
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Fredo,

The light stripes or checkering on the toggle knobs of a M1929 is not factory original...the gun sounds like a rework and someone had the patterning added to improve finger gripping of the knobs..probably not done by Ordnance arsenal...maybe a local gunsmith in CH.

The knobs should be smoooth with no checkering or striping of any kind to be factory original.

If you are looking for a shooter, you shoud not pay more than 50% of original finish value. In the USA, this one might be worth $ 900 as a nice shooter. I am not sure about pricing in Europe...but probably less.

If you are looking for a collection piece with investment value, this is not the gun to buy...

This was an Ordnance gun, but it never was given to/accepted by the retiring Swiss soldier...so never received the P-release stamping. Probably went back to the arsenal and was eventually sold to the public when the luger was officially replaced by the SIG 9 mm pistol...

The P-stamp occurs when a soldier retires and he decides to accept and take the gun home. Some soldiers did not want their guns to take home, so they went back to the arsenal for issuance to the next soldier or remained in inventory and was not re-issued.

With that late serial number, this gun should also probably have black pastic grips and magazine bottom...not the dark prown color.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Fredo
User

Pete, thx for the very quick reply, you're right
the gun have black pastic grips and magazine bottom
I'm going to get some picture and I will try to post them before purchasing the gun. I will also try to lower the price a bit as this gun is certainly a shooter. I will also try to check the caliber, if used as a shooter it has to have a good caliber, what would you advice?

Fyi, today I saw a 06/29 bern for 1500 Swiss Franc and a 06/29 black for 1400 .- ( 1U$ = 1.3 CHF)
For this shooter the seller want 1250.-
Unread 12-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Pete Ebbink
User

Fredo,

If I did the money conversion correctly, that would be a $ 950 USD price here in the USA...that would be a good price here in the USA.

I would guess this price is still high in CH and in Europe.

Most all of the M1929 lugers were in .30 luger cal (i.e. 7,65 mm). I would guess this shooter is in 7,65 mm.

A few M1929 lugers were made with 9 mm barrels...either factory prototypes or special ones made up for shooting teams and private customers.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Fredo
User

As far as I'm aware of, all swiss military are 7.65 mm. The 9 mm wasn't adopted by swiss military force due the less precision of the 9mm Para and also less reliability.
Most of the of the shooting exercices were made Ã?Â* a distance of 50 m. This continued with the military P210 ( Sig P49) ) 9mm Para but was reduce to 25m when the Sig P220 ( P75 ) 9mm Para.

For your information, all exercices with long rifle are made a distance of 300m even with the new Sig 550 ( STGW/Fass 90) in 223 caliber
Unread 12-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
panda
User

Quote:
I would guess this price is still high in CH and in Europe.
You gess right... I wouldn't even buy a collector for this price!
panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
Fredo
User

A double chek with the seller shows that there is no mark on the toggle knobs. Does somebody in Europe can advice for a good price?
thx
Unread 12-07-2005, 03:24 AM   #8
panda
User

You may want to check this as an alternative:

http://www.waffen.ch/cgi-bin/classif...uery=retrieval
panda is offline   Reply With Quote