LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
hornsfan
User

I've done business with Legacy Collectibles, Checkpoint Charlie, & Simpson Ltd. I'd do business with all 3 of them again but echo many of the earlier comments...Legacy is at the top of my personal list based on quality of photos, description details and level of customer service. That's followed by Checkpoint and Simpson. I think with any dealer or retailer, photos and phone calls are key. All 3 shops patiently answered my phone questions. All are also run by human beings, which introduces an element of error or omission. I've seen it at all 3. My personal observation is that Legacy and Charlie react quicker when an error/omission occurs whereas it can take Simpson a while longer (if at all) maybe due to higher volume or consignment seller issues. If I'm thinking of buying from Simpson, one of the first questions is about whether the import marking is there, followed up by verbal verification of serial numbers, condition, etc. Simpson also has the retail pricing whereas I think Legacy offers better value.

I personally have been tempted but could never bring myself to buy from Mr Luger...I've seen enough bad apples (or simply undisclosed issues) to spoil the entire barrel but I'm fairly new at collecting Lugers...even in the context of everyone makes mistakes, it just doesn't seem worth the risk of paying the Luger tax. As Warren Buffet said, there's no penalty except opportunity lost. I personally am willing to let someone else have the opportunity with Mr. Luger.

You might also look to purchase from some of the longer-tenured Forum members (e.g., Ed or Ron).

Greg
hornsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Shooters appear when and where they will. I've stocked my safe with interesting shooters almost exclusively from online auctions and classifieds, and done OK overall. For collectibles, I'd have a lot of good things to say about our WTS section and what's been offered there, at least since I've joined the forum. The biggest factors involved would be the patience required for your gun to "come around" there, and the depth of one's pockets, in that you need deeper pockets to buy at full retail, or be involved with the better, pricier stuff. I think the only way to obtain an absolute guarantee of authenticity would be to buy one newly made by Mike Krauss, or the like. However, the judgment of the consensus of seasoned collectors here on this forum gets you almost asymptotic to that!
Unread 09-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #23
69thpa
User

Default Purchased from Mister Luger

Purchased a G dated Luger rig and all is good. One of the nicer G Date I have come across. Funny, I live in Pa also and the only issue is that he has to collect sales tax. Taxes will kill us all. Hope this helps.
K-Date
G-Date
1923 Commercial
1918 Captured
69thpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #24
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I recently bought a Luger from Mr. Luger.
The transaction went well, there was some issue with the pistol, looked blue in the picture and green(parkarized?) in hand, so I sent it back under his 3 day inspection/return warranty. I wanted it as it was Weimar unit marked.

Check came back for the purchase price and shipping; but it did cost the shipping back.

His descriptions are minimal, so a phone call is probably in order.
I always chuckle when I read his descriptions, all his Lugers are "mechanically correct"; I have yet to figure out exactly what that means!
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
chevy
User

Done buisness with Legacy Collectables bought BYF 41 serial # 1271 and Erfurt 1917 #3717. In my opinion they are the best product for the money. Lugers were exactly as described 41 being a true 98 % in my opinion
chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #26
wayne8661
User

I also have to admit the i am a product of the Keystone State
wayne8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #27
Beginner
User

Smile

I have purchased two P.08's from Walt Smeddy (Mister Luger) - he's great & he delivers exactly what he offers
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #28
Caferacer
User

PA is OK
except philly
Caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #29
Eugen
User

Talking

Just thought I'd mention that my late wife was born and raised in PA. Keystoners are cool.

Oh, yeah, I would have bought a Luger from her, too.
Unread 11-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #30
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
Just thought I'd mention that my late wife was born and raised in PA. Keystoners are cool.

Oh, yeah, I would have bought a Luger from her, too.
Would she sell it to you?

Sorry couldn't resist.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #31
Geo99
User

I just spoke to Walt Smeddy (Mr Luger) two days ago, because not only are his descriptions minimal, he only shows a few pictures, not every view. I want to buy a Luger from him but he said he will not provide any more pictures, and furthermore, he does not have a 3 day return policy. He told me his policy is one day return, and then only if the gun is not what he says it is. In other words you can't return it just because you don't like it, or you don't think it's original finish after seeing it up close. Too risky for me.

- Geo

PS> I have gotten terrific deals from Legacy.