LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Spanner
User

Default Introduction

Hello. Looking more for historical information than value as I have no plans on selling. My dad has had this P08 since the end of WWII. He was an 11 year old Dutch boy when the war ended and he got this pistol. I've recently started researching it and have found lots of conflicting information. It turns out that it may be one of the little known oddballs. From what I have found is that it was manufactured by Simson and Co. and is an S code. It has 3 of the Simson 6 stamps on the right and thr acceptance stamp. A lone S on the toggle and all the parts have either the serial number or the last 2 digits including the mag. The serial is 168X a. This gun is basically untouched since 1945 except it seems my dad scored a P38 holster for it. Also have the original cartridges that were in the mag when dad got the pistol. I'd post pictures however I'm a little paranoid about it. Not that there is anything illegal about it. Thanks for lettng me in and I look forward to discussing. Dave
Spanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Why are you paranoid about pictures?

Just look around here, there is no reason to be.

If it makes you feel better some pictures of my Simson are below.

Check out the frequently asked questions and how to identify my luger stickies, sear the forum using Simson, and find lots of threads and read about Simson lugers here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190733 (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	62415  

Name:	P1190741.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	62416  

Name:	P1190742.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	62417  

Unread 10-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
DonS
User

Is that an import mark I see?
DonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
Is that an import mark I see?
Yes.
Unread 10-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
Spanner
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Why are you paranoid about pictures?

Just look around here, there is no reason to be.

If it makes you feel better some pictures of my Simson are below.

Check out the frequently asked questions and how to identify my luger stickies, sear the forum using Simson, and find lots of threads and read about Simson lugers here.
To paraphrase my mom, I wouldn't follow my friends jumping off a bridge either. The reason for the apprehension is that I am unsure of the regulations regarding the possession of these guns, if they had to be registered or whatever. I have a set of field glasses that have the customs sticker accepting them into the United States. I know that the gun was found during at the airport but I don't have any paperwork. I can just hear my dad now, how I lost this pistol that I've admired for the last 50 years and he had possessed for over 70 years and then I put it on the internet. Hope that makes sense.
Unread 10-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

If you are paranoid about pictures do not expect many answers. Sounds like a typical Simson. Not rare but not abundant. If you are concerned about coming from Germany after the war. Do not be. Most did . Registration depends on your States hand gun laws. I did not see what State you are from. Tell us and probably a collector from your State will reply. Welcome to the best Luger Forum. Bill
Unread 10-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner View Post
To paraphrase my mom, I wouldn't follow my friends jumping off a bridge either. The reason for the apprehension is that I am unsure of the regulations regarding the possession of these guns, if they had to be registered or whatever. I have a set of field glasses that have the customs sticker accepting them into the United States. I know that the gun was found during at the airport but I don't have any paperwork. I can just hear my dad now, how I lost this pistol that I've admired for the last 50 years and he had possessed for over 70 years and then I put it on the internet. Hope that makes sense.
Sounds like you need to hire a lawyer for 15 minutes and get him to explain your state/local gun ordinances to you.
Unread 10-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Spanner
User

wow great answer, thanks
Unread 10-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Lots of folks worry about posting pictures or their name or their whatever. I work in the IT Security profession, sure, you can worry, but the internet can be as scary or as safe as YOU think it is.

This site is better than most, John D, the owner and manager of the site doesn't allow it to be searched by 'bots'. But from what I hear you saying, there is little to fear.
Even in restrictive states, like NJ, CA, MA, if something has been in the family for years, its fine. Unless its a Thompson and not registered (seriously, some were brought back). If you lived in NYC then it should have been registered, etc.
Without pictures we can help some. You said serial 16xxa - There were less than 12,000 Simsons made, even less S toggles (I am not fond of the term 'code' although its probably correct to a degree).

Everything depends on condition, originality and correct serial numbered parts.

So, at age 11 he picked up a luger from a departing german GI? Or he bought one later? I will read what you wrote again.

I keep a database, share only anonymous information, serial number, acceptance and proof marking on the right, matching mags, etc.

I would like all the info I can get, you can email me or PM me the info - by sharing we help everyone. If I get a partial serial number, I do NOT count it in my database.

One thing, to ensure it is a Simson frame, look at the stock lug, as if putting in a magazine, looking up at the rear bottom portion of the stock lug. Should be two eagle 6's. If no, then it isn't a Simson frame.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
Spanner
User

I posted pictures of it in the regular section. The story of this pistol. My father was a holocaust survivor. His family lived in Holland along the German border for many, many years. At some point letters were sent to all the Jewish families to meet at in town at a certain date. My dad, brother, mother and father were the only one to not show up and went into hiding for 3 years. At the end of the war, during the German retreat, the allies were bombing their town and it was during this time they came out of hiding. The family found themselves sharing the bomb shelter with a bunch of German soldiers. At some point therte were English speaking voices approaching the shelter at which time the Officer took the pistol and stashed it up in the rafter of the shelter. My dad took notice of it and when the Brit soldiers marched the Germans off he grabbed the pistol. That's the exact story from my dad and witnessed by my uncle and I never thought to doubt it for a second. I find it more than intriguing that the company that happened to manufacture this particular pistol was owned by a Jewish family.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Spanner for your post:
Unread 10-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

great story - I am working on vol IV of vet bring backs, would love to include this story?

Always give credit to the owners - people

I lived in Landgraff - literally on the german border. I was there for 7 yrs and went all over that area. Even metal detected right before I left, found some 8mm and 30-06 but nothing wonderful
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 10-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #12
Spanner
User

The new museum in Overloon is the most incredible collection of military gear I have ever witnessed.
Unread 10-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner View Post
The new museum in Overloon is the most incredible collection of military gear I have ever witnessed.
I have been to Overloon many times, last time was in about 2003 or so. I would always take visitors (relatives, etc) to the open air museum and show them the tanks, then go into the museum.
Unread 10-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Spanner
User

The tanks have been moved indoors. I'm saying it is like nothing that I know of. Apparently we left a lot of stuff over there because its all on display. Soviet, Polish, US, German, Brit and others. Field shop displays, radar, every weapon. Amazing.
Unread 10-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #15
Eugen
User

Thumbs up

Spanner, welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your fascinating story. That is definitely a Luger to keep in the family and a legacy worth sharing. History comes alive for your family with that Luger.