LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 11-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts
Default Erma .22 pistol part WANTED

A friend just called and has inherited (so to speak) an Erma .22 Luger-style pistol. It has been in pieces for the last 15 years, and he can see that one part is broken, describing it as a long shaft that has a loop on one end (rear) and that it points forward down the bore in the "toggle" assy. Sounds like a guide rod to me, but I've never seen one of these, either intact or opened up.
He further describes it as being about 2.25" long, but broken, so we're not certain how long it is suppose to be. Part of it is about 1/8" diamneter, while other parts are around 1/16" diameter.
I know that some of you dabble in these. What is this part called and any ideas where to find one?
Thanks;
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

It might also be the firing pin. I broke one in an Erma .22 Luger I had and Tom Heller was able to supply a new one.

Check with Tom as he seems to also have parts for these .22 Lugers.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Also check with Dave [ithacaartist] - I understand he has a tractor-trailer load of Erma .22 parts...

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-24-2014 at 10:43 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I'm betting it is the firing pin spring guide. Thanks!
dju
Unread 11-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
I'm betting it is the firing pin spring guide...
...And Ejector...I'm betting it will fire with it broken but not eject correctly...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

David, Since there are 3 different firing pins use in various full size models of the Erma .22, it's import that I know what model Erma your friend has. The only FPs that I currently have in stock are the ones for the LA model as shown above. TH
Unread 11-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

How does he determine what model he has? Serial number? Or is it marked elsewhere?
Thanks all!
dju
Unread 11-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Olle
User

Quote:
How does he determine what model he has? Serial number? Or is it marked elsewhere?
Thanks all!
dju
It should be marked on the left side of the barrel extension.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Also check with IthacaDave - I understand he has a tractor-trailer load of Erma .22 parts...
You are correct, sir! Well, maybe a pickup truck..
I have one listed on Gunbroker at an amazing low price http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=452999853

Quote:
I'm betting it is the firing pin spring guide. Thanks!
dju
You are correct, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
...And Ejector...I'm betting it will fire with it broken but not eject correctly...
You are correct, sir! It's a dessert topping and a floor wax! The fatter end, towards the loop, is the spring guide part. The skinny part protrudes from the front, center of the bolt as it recoils, acting as a "poker" to flip the shell out from under the extractor claw at just the right time (theoretically). The same part will fit all the early, 60s cast Zamak series, La-, Ep-, and Et-22s. I think you are describing the dimensions of the stouter of the two possibilities for this part's configuration, which is what I'm selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugerdoc View Post
David, Since there are 3 different firing pins use in various full size models of the Erma .22, it's import that I know what model Erma your friend has. The only FPs that I currently have in stock are the ones for the LA model as shown above. TH
Tom, other than the one for La22s and the one for Ep22s andEt22s, what's the third one? What are you getting for an La-22 firing pin these days?

Now, where did I put that Erma front sight leaf?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wa 001.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	44007  

Unread 11-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

IthacaArtist (AKA David):
First if all, Rusty received the parts you sold him via GunBroker, and he sends his regards, everything is perfect. Thanks.
Now to prove that no good deed goes unpunished, I have another question. He isn't sure how to remove the safety lever so that he can replace the tiny spring and detent ball that go behind it. Can you direct us on how to do it, or it this a mission for YouTube?
Thanks again.
dju
Unread 11-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

Glad to hear that all arrived safely. I can't find any reference as to which model he has--Ep or La-22, but no matter. For either, first field strip to remove the upper. If the Ep-22, the asymmetric cir-clip is what holds the lever's shaft in, and also blocks the sear's movement when safety is engaged. You should be able to remove the clip from above and slide/wiggle the shaft out. If it's an La-22, the lever is held in place by the bar that it pushes against the sear release when engaged. Slip the little rectangular bar out from the bottom-- and the lever's shaft will be able to be backed out.

Lay the pistol on its right side. A dollop of grease will retain the little spring up inside the back of the lever, and when the lever is close to home, put the ball into one of the little detentes. Push the lever in, down onto the ball, compressing the spring over the ball, and hold it in place. Slip the safety bar back into the lever's slot if it's an La, rotate the frame upright again if it's an Ep, then reinstall the clip--big side forward, to engage the sear. I don't specifically remember what positions the lever needs to be in for whatever steps, but that's easy enough to figure out. I hope this description is adequate!

I recommend working on a big towel, which will help catch and reveal errant parts, maybe even a cardboard box lined with a towel. And since a spring is involved. keep a magnet handy!
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks again.
dju